rebuild my 2.5 or GM 122 swap by gkeyes
Started on: 06-18-2014 05:16 PM
Replies: 10 (596 views)
Last post by: gkeyes on 06-23-2014 11:06 AM
gkeyes

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gkeyesSend a Private Message to gkeyesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am entertaining the idea of swaping my duke for a GM 2200. I already own the donor car with the 2200. That is why I am considering this swap. Has anybody done this swap and if so pro and cons? Or should I just rebuild the duke.?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gkeyes:

I am entertaining the idea of swaping my duke for a GM 2200. I already own the donor car with the 2200. That is why I am considering this swap. Has anybody done this swap and if so pro and cons? Or should I just rebuild the duke.?

its been done before, you would need to search, the gains over the duke are minor, and the 2200 isnt know to be a very reliable engine. you would need to make mounts, do the fuel system, wire up the ECU, and route the coolant lines. TBH, that swap will be about the same as a 3800 swap, only without having people offering pre-made mounts/tuning/pinout diagrams for it, so actually harder i guess you could say.

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with what hooked said, but I'll go even further, I don't think the Duke is worth rebuilding either. So if you are willing to put that time and money into a car, there are much better alternatives. A 3.4 push rod is almost a direct plug in swap. the 3800 offers the most high end potential, for the money. Even the 3800 NA is a better option than a duke rebuild or a 2200 swap.

Jim
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to rebuild your duke, it is not too bad. Full gasket set runs about 40-50. Get the GOOD Felpro valve cover gasket if you want it to be more or less foolproof and dont want to deal with cork or RTV gaskets. It also depends how bad of shape the engine is. Spin a bearing? Bores bad enough to the point you need to bore and do over size pistons? Rings bad? Need big work done on the valves?

It also depends on how much time you have, access to tools, space, and more.

I Am rebuilding my duke, as it was leaking just about everywhere, had RTV gaskets that looked like lots of pre-chewed bubble gum, and needed only minor work on one vale. Rings, bores, and bearings all checked out.

I have the cost of a gasket set at $50, the three engine/trans mounts at less than $30 for all 3, new, and other minor items some block paint and rubber gloves.

Mix in your preferred assembly lube, gasket sealer/adhesive, RTV, de-greaser ( I use ZEP industrial purple concentrate) and carbon remover ( I have an old gallon of REAL Gunk HydroSeal. The original stuff. The new Gunk stuff is really underwhelming. But that Berryman chem dip works really well too from what I have read if you don't already have something.

No matter what you do, good luck!
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I don't think the Duke is worth rebuilding either. A 3.4 push rod is almost a direct plug in swap. the 3800 offers the most high end potential, for the money. Even the 3800 NA is a better option than a duke rebuild or a 2200 swap.

Jim

KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what vintage is the 2200?
bobace455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bobace455Send a Private Message to bobace455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found them both to be sweethearts - good luck with thsm both. I am not sure what year you are looking at, but a 98 cavalier has a mpfi 2.2 that makes about 125 hp. I think the biggest difference between the two engines is the 2.2 can rev where as the duke has trouble making power at anything over 4,000. the 2.2 has a lot more high end torque as well. It really hooks up around where the duke lets off. A v6 would be sweet though, and easier (kits available).
gkeyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gkeyesSend a Private Message to gkeyesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all of your responses. There are so many ways to go for engines.
gkeyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gkeyesSend a Private Message to gkeyesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

gkeyes

21 posts
Member since Jun 2012
I almost forgot to answer the question about the 2200. It is a 2002, its in my daughters old cavalier.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gkeyes:

I almost forgot to answer the question about the 2200. It is a 2002, its in my daughters old cavalier.

Manual or automatic?
gkeyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gkeyesSend a Private Message to gkeyesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its and automatic
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock