Need help removing the alternator by huracan2015
Started on: 06-18-2014 03:49 PM
Replies: 35 (919 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 06-22-2014 02:42 PM
huracan2015

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got the 2 bolts out, unhooked the wires, but now its stuck in the engine bay. There isn't enough room to get it out of the wheel well. How do I get it out?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'87 V6 Auto
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the tie rod and move it out of the way. Then turn the alternator every which way and eventually you'll find the magic position where it'll just drop out like it was meant to be.

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Disconnect the tie rod and move it out of the way. Then turn the alternator every which way and eventually you'll find the magic position where it'll just drop out like it was meant to be.

Thank you! Do I need a special tool to remove it?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you can "rent" a tool from an auto parts store. I wouldn't use a fork, as you could damage the tie rod boot. I was able to just remove the splash shield and pull the alternator out the passenger side bottom without removing anything else (tie rod)... That was an '85 V6, auto.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

you can "rent" a tool from an auto parts store. I wouldn't use a fork, as you could damage the tie rod boot. I was able to just remove the splash shield and pull the alternator out the passenger side bottom without removing anything else (tie rod)... That was an '85 V6, auto.

There is only enough clearence for if the alt was half the size it is.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jack up the car, install stand (suspension hanging), remove wheel, remove liner, twist and turn the alternator till it drops out (IIRC it is usually the backside first).

I does come out, but make note of which way so you can install the new one the same way.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Done all that, except the tie rod is in the way! Believe me, it will not come out. I've been messing with it for several hours
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
I'll have to wait till next weekend for my grandpa to come out and do it for me. Great, no car until then
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

jack up the car, install stand (suspension hanging), remove wheel, remove liner, twist and turn the alternator till it drops out...

From a Fiero with a 2.8... and an automatic??!!! Without removing or disconnecting anything else? (Actually, I don't see any benefit in removing the "liner", or was that just to get the splash guard out of the way?)

After having been through this myself with an '86 GT (automatic), I don't believe it.

With a manual tranny it's no problem.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36402 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by huracan2015:

Done all that, except the tie rod is in the way!

If that's the case, how have you tried to disconnect the tie rod? I've never had a problem with just backing the nut off until it's even with the top of the threaded part of the tie rod... and then smacking it down with a hammer. If it's stubborn, bang the knuckle (around the tie rod "bolt") with the hammer a few times, and then go back to hitting the top of backed off nut.
PFF
System Bot
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If that's the case, how have you tried to disconnect the tie rod? I've never had a problem with just backing the nut off until it's even with the top of the threaded part of the tie rod... and then smacking it down with a hammer. If it's stubborn, bang the knuckle (around the tie rod "bolt") with the hammer a few times, and then go back to hitting the top of backed off nut.

I'm hitting the bottom up correct?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm hitting the bottom up correct?

Yes sorry, I should've double-checked which way it went. In this case you're smacking it "up" as opposed to "down".

I found this image online to show the components we're talking about.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-18-2014).]

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright so I just hit the bolt upward and it should pop out? So the fork tool is only used if it is too stuck?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, it'll pop out.

I have never used a pickle-fork on a tie rod, and I only use it on ball joints that I'll be replacing. It destroys the grease boot, and perhaps damages the ball joint itself.

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok thank you! I'll go try it!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Give 'er hell.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got it! Now I'll mess around and try to get it out. Still not enough clearence. May need to remove the bracket
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

huracan2015

304 posts
Member since Apr 2014
2 top bolts off, need to run to the store to get an 18mm short socket for my breaker bar. Getting the 3rd side bolt out will let the bracket swing up out of the way! ALMOST THERE
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmmm....I've got a Formula with an Auto and I pulled mine out without disconnecting any suspension parts. I remember it was a total PITA but it did come out with a little force. Went back in too after I rebuilt it, again without disconnecting anything. Maybe you should try harder. I think after it was down on the trans, I pushed it all the way over to the other side and pulled it out....but it was a year or two ago so can't say for sure but I'm positive I didn't undo anything other than the passengers side tire and wheel well liner. hmmm possibly there more room on an 88 than an 87??
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

hmmm possibly there more room on an 88 than an 87??

The '88 alternator is smaller than the previous years. Not a LOT smaller, but slightly. Makes a difference.

The 88s don't have the tie-rod like the OP's car has, but one hint on the 88s is to detach the swaybar on both sides of the car and swing the ends of the swaybar up and out of the way. You'll gain a little more room that way. If you need more room, disconnect the suspension lateral link from the knuckle and swing it down and out of the way. Plenty of room now!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

hmmm possibly there more room on an 88 than an 87??

I'm also beginning to wonder whether the 88's (with an automatic) have more room back there than the '84-'87 Fieros to remove an alternator... and/or perhaps the CS130 alternators are physically smaller than the older SI units.

The only way I could remove an alternator from my '86 GT (with an automatic) was to split the alternator in two before removal. Perhaps I should've removed the tie rod instead. On both an '86 GT (with a 4-spd) and an '88 Formula (with a 5-spd), there were no issues when removing their alternators. They just dropped out the bottom.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I GOT IT IN!!! Thank you everyone for helping me! I had to eventually completely remove the bracket, cooling pipe, and one end of the tie rod. It was easy once I got that stuff out of the way!
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

From a Fiero with a 2.8... and an automatic??!!! Without removing or disconnecting anything else? (Actually, I don't see any benefit in removing the "liner", or was that just to get the splash guard out of the way?)

After having been through this myself with an '86 GT (automatic), I don't believe it.

With a manual tranny it's no problem.

Yes - but hell maybe I got lucky, but then it is a 88 GT.

BTW - yes, just to get the splash guard out of the way.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-20-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never had a big problem changing the alternator in my V6s. I just dropped it straight out the bottom. It did take a little turning and twisting. I never had to take anything else off or loose. I took the alt out of the bracket, leaving the bracket on the engine. If Im remembering, i just took off the belt adjusting bolt and the long pivot bolt and fed it out the bottom of the cradle.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I never had a big problem changing the alternator in my V6s.

Well, I never had a problem changing the alternator in my big V8 Chevs... so there!

Roger, it's no problem changing the alternator in a V6 Fiero if it has a manual tranny and/or if it's an '88.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-21-2014).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On an 86 GT auto that I had, I had to get the tie rod out of the way. A hammer didn't pop it loose, I had to use a 5 pound sledge turned sideways. I was messing up the threads with the hammer because it was such a small surface to make contact with... or do it right and get one of these (which I have):
OTC Pitman Arm/Tie Rod End Puller

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 06-21-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never changed one on an auto Fiero. Wasnt hard on my V8 Fiero either.
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've replaced mine on my '87 GT Auto... It's been a long time, but I remember it wasn't fun. I didn't have to remove suspension components.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love someone with an '85-'87 2.8 automatic Fiero to post a picture (or better yet, a video) of them removing an SI alternator (not a swapped in smaller CS130 unit) in one piece without tipping the cradle or removing any suspension and/or drive train components... 'cause I don't believe it's possible.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-21-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I GOT IT IN!!! Thank you everyone for helping me! I had to eventually completely remove the bracket, cooling pipe, and one end of the tie rod. It was easy once I got that stuff out of the way!

That's good Hurican. Half the battle. Did you take it up and have it tested BEFORE you bought a new alt and installed? They can easily do this for free with a bench system. Let us know. Good luck.

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

That's good Hurican. Half the battle. Did you take it up and have it tested BEFORE you bought a new alt and installed? They can easily do this for free with a bench system. Let us know. Good luck.

Yeah they said it was dead and were only running on battery power! Luckily auto zone is only 2 miles from me!
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah they said it was dead and were only running on battery power! Luckily auto zone is only 2 miles from me!

Good job! You've come along way bud.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's how I pulled mine on my 86 SE V6 Auto

There is another tool for removing the tie rod, I forget the actual name and part number or if it even works on the Fiero but it pushes the rod down from above, so no problem with damaging the boot, let me see if I can find it. Sorry in the case of the Fiero it is up from below but it still works, I have also used Patrick's hammer idea and to be honest 9 out of 10 times that works.

found it,

http://www.summitracing.com...ABrUFd-8xe_ywxjw_wcB

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 06-22-2014).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have done them this way on the auto Fieros and also had success. The alternator, connectors and the alternator bracket have to be removed. Coming out the wheel well ; the fit is tight, but it does come out

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock