SBC/LS Hybrid!!! by AL87
Started on: 06-17-2014 11:16 PM
Replies: 12 (645 views)
Last post by: dobey on 06-20-2014 10:21 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the adds are a bit annoying but the proof is in the pudding.
I think its a great combination for someone who wants the power of an LS with the familiarity and ease of install with the tried and true sbc. With the setup they had they got to at least 500hp/500lb/ft at the crank in their dyno testing

http://www.powerblocktv.com...k-build#.U6EDRWdOW1u
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HarryG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just be sure you're sitting down when they mention the price...
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep, easy to install, along with the custom ground cam, custom intake, custom headers, oh yeah, and all that stuff is expensive as hell or hard to DIY, so yeah, fail.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is interesting. I bet all the adapters are expensive. It makes me ask why? The LS is a great engine design. The sbc is a great engine design. If a person wants the performance of 15 degree heads - order some for your sbc. I bet the dedicated intake and heads are a lot less money than the hybrid kit. Want 500 hp in an LS motor? It's easy with factory parts from a U-pull it and the cheapest way to go.
Thanks for sharing this video. It is interesting to see that someone actually went to all the trouble to adapt the 15 degree LS heads to a standard small block.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-18-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

yep, easy to install, along with the custom ground cam, custom intake, custom headers, oh yeah, and all that stuff is expensive as hell or hard to DIY, so yeah, fail.

You forgot the biggest part, the custom block.

$4000 block for something you could have spent $1500 to build from an LS1.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

You forgot the biggest part, the custom block.

$4000 block for something you could have spent $1500 to build from an LS1.

I was meaning in addition to the custom block but yeah, exactly. and it's not like the LSx engines haven't already proven their extreme durability already...
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like an expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by woodyhere:
Thanks for sharing this video. It is interesting to see that someone actually went to all the trouble to adapt the 15 degree LS heads to a standard small block.

I just thought it was quirky, because of the simplicity of the design.
would I want to pay the money for all of the custom parts? heck no.
are there cheaper solutions for power and torque? yes.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

I just thought it was quirky, because of the simplicity of the design.
would I want to pay the money for all of the custom parts? heck no.
are there cheaper solutions for power and torque? yes.

I don't know that I'd call casting and machining a completely new block simple exactly.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by woodyhere:

Standard small block it is not. It's a custom cast iron LS block, with the bottom end machined to match a 4-bolt SBC. So you can bolt LS heads and intake to it, but you get a weaker bottom end with only 4 bolt mains, and an oil pan design that is more prone to leaking.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting and would be kind of cool in a Muscle car app - the Motown Block from World Products is 2300 and change and the Block Adapter kit (required to use the LS style heads) is 650 so 3k just for the block. Another 2k plus for the heads. Cam, Crank, rods, pistons, intake, etc. This is easily a 10k plus motor. I think that you could do the same swap in a Fiero with a complete LS or an LQ9 for less? A crate LS7 with forged internals - 550 HP complete can be had for 8 to 9k. LS3 - drop outs with low miles can be had for 5 to 6k - with some "tweaks", 500 plus HP is easily achieved. Prices for these LS motors are coming down. I don't see an advantage to build this motor for a Fiero other than, it makes the swap a little easier but definitely not cheaper.

It would be cool in my 70 Monte though - just for fun and something "different".
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thing has been around at least 5 years, but I have never come across one at any car show... probably do to cost.

http://www.superchevy.com/h...own-ls-crate-engine/
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-20-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

This thing has been around at least 5 years, but I have never come across one at any car show... probably do to cost.

http://www.superchevy.com/h...own-ls-crate-engine/

Probably not due to cost. Many show cars will spend more than $10K on an engine. I've seen plenty of engines that cost that much at car shows. More likely would be that it just doesn't make sense. If you really want to run a distributor and carb on an LS engine, there are kits for running a distributor on the front of the engine, some even made by GM.

This SBC/LS hybrid block is really meant for circle track racing classes where an SBC is required, but the racers want to run with an LSx top end to make more power N/A, with the class-restricted carb, oil pan, and displacement.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock