Started on: 06-17-2014 11:14 AM
Replies: 21 (461 views)
Last post by: Francis T on 06-18-2014 07:07 PM
jimbolaya

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all I am not a stereo electronics guy, so type slowly. My son is looking to replace the stock 4x10 dash speakers on his 86 GT. The car has the performance sound option. We cannot find any speakers locally, but I found these options online at a place called Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/...-Speakers.html?tp=99 He is currently using a GM stock radio out of a 99 Lumina that we picked up at the junkyard, but he plans on buying an aftermarket radio at some time in the future. Any recommendations on speakers, or recommendations on a different place to buy some?

Jim
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, the reason we are replacing them is because the stock speakers are toast. They are dry rotted and the diaphragm is cracked badly. They sound hideous.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Found these, http://www.onlinecarstereo....oustik_XP-4103K.aspx but they seem low priced for such high wattage, and I haven't heard of that brand, but that don't mean much since I'm only aware of the more common ones like Kenwood or pioneer.

Jim
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jimbolaya

10652 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Found these at Wal-Mart online. http://www.walmart.com/ip/N...io-Speakers/30665566

Jim
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get some 5.25" component speakers. Polk Audio is a good quality brand than can be had inexpensively.

And do this: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000080.html

Oh, and you might want to replace the rear speakers too. A set of accompanying 4x6" plates will go along well with the components.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 06-17-2014).]

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've put in the replacement speakers from Rodney Dickman. I don't have the performance sound (no subwoofer), but do have a replacement radio from FieroTom

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

Deabionni

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeabionniSend a Private Message to DeabionniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new 4x10's that you would buy to drop in the stock location would sound better than the stock speakers (when they still worked). That said, if he's looking for the best sound possible, follow what was already suggested and build a "plate" to mount component speakers to. A set of properly installed and sufficiently powered component speakers will sound better than the "drop in" 4x10's anyday.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used Pioneer with good success.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Oh, and you might want to replace the rear speakers too.

I already have a set of Sony explodes for the rear. Just waiting for whatever we get for the front before installing them.

Jim

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:

I already have a set of Sony explodes for the rear. Just waiting for whatever we get for the front before installing them.

Jim

Get matching 5.25" components, and do the plate install. It will sound far better than the best 4x10 speakers would sound.
huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pioneer 4x10 and Pioneer 4x6 on Amazon. These are what I put in my car a few months ago! They are amazing! I really don't even need a subwoofer!

http://www.amazon.com/Pione...ioneer+4x10+speakers
http://www.amazon.com/Pione...pioneer+4x6+speakers
PFF
System Bot
NeverFamous

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeverFamousSend a Private Message to NeverFamousEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't put in the $20 ones from pepboys I just did and 1 just went out. Lol
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NeverFamous:

Don't put in the $20 ones from pepboys I just did and 1 just went out. Lol

Saw those and I didn't even give it a second thought. LOL

Jim

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would highly recommend the route that Dobey is showing you. It gives you a much better sound quality.....however, I have Sony Xplod 4x10 speakers in my dash and they sound amazing. The only problem is that they are discontinued

I would recommend these if you want a simple replacement using a factory style deck:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pai...&hash=item3f37ddb6eb
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I have Sony Xplod 4x10 speakers in my dash and they sound amazing. The only problem is that they are discontinued

I had Sony Xplod's in my 85, that I got rid of. (the car that is) That's what I was looking for. I found the 4x6 Sony's, but now I know why I couldn't find the 4x10's

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 06-18-2014).]

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think that either the Kenwood or Pioneer 4 x 10 direct replacements are very good and inexpensive speakers. It's also a good move, I think to install Rodney's replacement sub-woofer, since that really responds well to the performance sound option. Also, Pioneed and Kenwood make good 4 x 6s for the pillars.
With such a small cabin space in the Fiero, I feel that you should install a fairly mild sound system, unless you're into broken eardrums and pissed off neighbors.
bb
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bruce

2189 posts
Member since May 99
Incidentally, I think I still have a very good pair of stock 4 x 10s, if you'd like them.
b
Fiervette

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replace my fronts and rears with Pioneer. Installed Rodney Subwoofer. Very pleased with results for not much money. Had to order 4X10s online but found 4X6 at local best buy.
RJS525

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RJS525Click Here to visit RJS525's HomePageSend a Private Message to RJS525Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back to the original post regarding using Crutchfield. I have purchased 2 head units for other vehicles in the past 2 years, one with amplifier and sub-woofer the other just replaced the head unit.

The units installed and worked beautifully and sounded great.

One of them upgraded the unit in a Ford Explorer and the other to upgrade the unit in a Jetta.

I have nothing but good things to say about Crutchfield. They had good instructions, fitment, and quality units. Although I didn't use it they also have technical support available if you need it.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do install new speakers, there are very good tutorials on YouTube. The pillar speakers can be a bit problematic, but the tutorial really makes the process much less exasperating. The front replacement is easy, except that you have to be very careful not to crack the surrounding dashboard area.
If you decide to replace the subwoofer, make sure you remember the way in which you detached the sub. housing. Rodney's instructions are not very good, so you might want to check the forum to see if there are better ones (instructions, that is; the sub-woofer is great!).
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Incidentally, I think I still have a very good pair of stock 4 x 10s, if you'd like them.
b

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going with the Pioneers. Thanks to everyone.

Jim

PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just put these in the front and they're great
http://www.sonicelectronix....943_Boss-CH4330.html

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 06-18-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: