Lots of gasoline, Stupidity, and an 84' Fiero by Kitten Tooth
Started on: 06-17-2014 06:52 AM
Replies: 10 (361 views)
Last post by: Kitten Tooth on 06-22-2014 06:34 PM
Kitten Tooth

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kitten ToothClick Here to Email Kitten ToothSend a Private Message to Kitten ToothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, im new here and I have a few questions about my 1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 I bought about a week ago. Its a crazy story as far as how I ended up with the car. My buddy knew a guy with a 383 stroker and some other sbc engines laying around for cheap and I was invited over to come take a look and possibly buy a few. My other daily driver is an 89 caprice (which is dead for the time being because of what happened with the fiero). As soon as I showed up at the guy’s house, the Fiero caught my eye and I asked about it. It had been sitting outside for about 6 years now but ran fine when they parked it in the weeds in front of the house. I did end up buying the 383 stroker and we unloaded it at my house. The next day I went back and asked a little more about the Pontiac. He said he was looking to get 500 for it and after further inspection I told him I’d buy it if hed let me get it running in his front yard and figure out whats up with the clutch as well. The master and slave cylinders for the clutch were both seized but the internal clutch (inside the gearbox) was fine and that’s all I was worried about. For some stupid reason, I thought the car had a mechanical fuel pump. This is where things got ugly.. I was under the car to crank the motor over (one of the switches for the clutch pedal wasn’t adjusted properly but I didn’t know it at the time so the key didn’t engage the starter). I had another guy inside the car at the throttle, and my friend Jordan was at the back of the car with a Gatorade bottle full of gas to keep it idling until it sucked its own fuel out of the tank. Well long story short, the throttle body got drowned in gasoline and after hearing the glorious sound of a 2.5 roaring to life, it backfired out of the intake. Fire everywhere.. My buddy got second degree burns all over his arm and it cooked some of the carpet in the trunk of the car. The tranny in the caprice had been on its last legs for a few weeks and rushing my friend to the hospital finally killed it. And for my own moral issues, I bought the fiero because I screwed it up. Best buy ever. So lets start off with what I’ve done so far.. New fuel tank, fuel pump, Fuel pickup sock in the tank, changed oil, oil filter, Air filter, IAC valve, battery, and positive/negative battery terminals. The car ran like a top and the clutch parts were coming in Tuesday of this week but I couldn’t wait so I pulled the old master and slave cylinders apart, cleaned them up, and got them working again. After bleeding the system and driving it around my neighborhood for a few hours, it caught fire again.. The positive battery cable was rubbing on the waterpump pulley and it shorted out. Luckily the two battery cables were all that suffered any damage and I was able to get the fire out without burning up anything else. After that ordeal, I put a fresh set of 14s on it and I’ve been driving it all over hell for 2 days now. I’ve noticed a pretty knarly looking oil leak on the passenger side of the engine. The V-belt that wraps around the Alt. seems to be flinging this oil onto the underside of the trunk and there is also oil on the frame of the car on the rear passenger side. I can’t tell if its motor oil or something else. It don’t taste like brake fluid… but it doesn’t really taste or smell like motor oil either (don’t ask me why im tasting this stuff-_- lol). Also I have vacuum pressure at the brake booster but I don’t seem to have power brakes and the “Brake” light is on in the dash. I didn’t see any pinched off lines under the car at any of the calipers either so not sure whats up there. Also, the headlight motors are stuck. If you manually wind them down, the passenger will come up when you hit the switch but won’t go back down. The driver side is just stuck no matter what. Can I just pull the motors apart and clean them? With these questions, im also looking for other preventative things I can do to the car to avoid any major trouble later on. Im thinking this thing is pretty untouched by any mechanic as it only has 86K on the odometer. It’s a very clean looking car and seems to be pretty solid as it sits right now.

------------------
I love it when people rag on my car at meets because they wouldn't know how to work on it if they had it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageClick Here to Email phonedawgzSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, look at all those words.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagClick Here to Email CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and I hope your friend is okay. The oil you are seeing could be a leaking axle seal. I would not put synthetic oil in the engine as it could cause oil leaks, Something else to do is remove the blower motor and make sure there isn't a mouse nest inside there, plenty of fires have been caused by that too. I am surprised the braking system is working at all after sitting parked for so long. My 85 2M4 sat parked outside for 8 years and I had to redo the entire brake system. Good luck with it, this forum has tons of very smart people and it will be a great resource for you, without it I never would have gotten my 85 up and running.d
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageClick Here to Email sardonyx247Send a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Kitten Tooth,
I like the name
Good story
Welcome to the forum.

The brake light on could either be the E-Brake on or air in the system, low fluid.
For oil to leak on the belt that would be, prob the valve cover, or oil cap.
The headlight motors are common to wear, if one side does nothing it could be the relay next to the motor, swap it with the other side to test.
The passenger side head light motor sounds like it isnt hitting the limit switches right, but both probably need a rebuild,
rebuild kits here http://www.fierostore.com/P...rowse.aspx?d=273&p=1
The biggest thing with the 84s, since all the power (+12V) comes off of the starter and the main harness conector by the firewall, is to make sure all of the wires are routed away from the exhaust and heat, IE; more fire... as you found out
if you get a new radaitor cap make sure to get a "non-vented" cap, the auto parts store all list the wrong part #, it sucks but true.

I hope this helps

gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaClick Here to Email gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Interesting story. It would be humorous with the exception of your friend's severe burns ... hope that he recovers quickly. This forum contains years of technically knowledge (and opinion) of how to repair/modify Fieros. From your tale it appears that you have mechanical capability which is a very good thing if you own a Fiero. The very top line of the website page has FIERO GALLERY- FIERO PARTS VENDORS- GET PFF ON CD - FIERO AUCTIONS - ORGRE'S DAVE - REAL TIME CHAT. I recommend that you take a look at the Ogres's Cave link at the top. He provides repair information on many different topics and includes simple, easy to understand instructions. As an example, he has a section on headlights. Helped me out with mine. FYI, there are two different headlight systems. 84-86 and 87-88. The newer system is more reliable and you can change over from the old style to the new style by installing the mechanicals and wiring from the newer style to your car, but for now this may assist you with diagnosing yours.
Welcome to the forum. You can search for repair topics and parts and ask as many questions as you like, however, expect a variety of replies.

Kitten Tooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kitten ToothClick Here to Email Kitten ToothSend a Private Message to Kitten ToothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks so much for the responses. And its alright if some of you laughed while reading the story. I did while typing it and felt terrible shortly after haha but all my buddies learned something that day... Maybe the stop drop and roll thing actually works As for Jordan, hes out of the hospital and i believe he already has his bandages off. The fire took place nearly a week ago. I finally got the sense to join a forum on these things as i plan on keeping this car for a long time. KZR forums helped me a ton with my KZ1000 and im getting the same vibe from here. Ill check on that blower fan. It seems to be really weak like something is blocking it so im sure thats the issue. Thanks for the heads up, would hate to burn up the interior in this thing. Its all actually in really good shape. As for the brakes, i might have been wrong about pinched off lines. Im thinking the PO clamped off the back brakes.. I'll look into it though. The E-brake cable is broke too but i figure the handle being down would trigger the sensor to turn off the light. Im fairly sure its something to to with the actual brake system. Ill look through some of your guys' parts vendors too. I can't find a throttle cable ANYWHERE for this thing. Went to every auto parts store in town and none of them even listed the thing. Ill have some pictures of it up soon so you guys can see how perty she is
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaClick Here to Email gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a total of three ebrake cables. I got all of them from RockAuto.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First step....stop drinking the fluids...

Glad you are saving a Fiero. They all need to be loved.
Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulClick Here to Email Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool seeing another person from Iowa. I'm down in Cedar Rapids for the summer, but I'll be in Ames in the fall.

I would take a good long look at the brakes. If the rears have been clamped off like you said, something must be wrong with them and I would get that figured out before driving it too much. The stock brakes aren't the best even when they're all working.

For parts I would recommend rodneydickman.com for some of the best quality parts. Also the best customer service. He spent a while tonight helping me troubleshoot why my transmission wasn't going fully into gear after purchasing a short shifter from him. Turns out the problem was with a FieroStore shift cable, which he helped me adjust anyways.

Just because your Ebrake handle is down doesn't mean that the Ebrake is off. If the handle lifts up easily without clicking like a ratchet, then the Ebrake is on. To turn it off, Lift it all the way up and press and hold the button as you lower the handle to the floor.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Click Here to Email Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 was stored for 10 years by the previous owner. It was moved from the garage to the driveway and run at idle for 15 minutes once a year until about 4 years ago (I bought it last year). The last 3 years that he had it, it stopped running once the fuel went bad (...which led to a failed fuel pump). I changed the rotors and pads, but the rest of the brake system was in great shape. E-brake even works perfectly.
Kitten Tooth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kitten ToothClick Here to Email Kitten ToothSend a Private Message to Kitten ToothEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well as you guys said, there was a huge mouse nest in the blower fan. Cleaned it all up but it looks like water kind of attacked the motor itself so ill be replacing it. I tried lubricating it and getting it to turn smoothly and i thought it was fine but after leaving my house with it on and getting on the interstate, a burning smell was thick inside the car so i shut it off. The rear driver's side brake caliper is seized. The rust is wiped off all the rotors around the car except for that one so im assuming its just stuck. I ordered a complete engine gasket kit as I believe the timing cover has a horrible leak... either that or the oil pan.. either way its getting on the V-belts and making a really big smoke show everytime i take off from a stop light because the belt is slipping. On a brighter note.... I have a cassette adapter now.. so i can listen to good music in the thing

[This message has been edited by Kitten Tooth (edited 06-22-2014).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock