1986 fiero engine swap by 1986FIERO-Brandin
Started on: 06-16-2014 09:42 PM
Replies: 12 (656 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 06-21-2014 05:31 PM
1986FIERO-Brandin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FIERO-BrandinSend a Private Message to 1986FIERO-BrandinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1986 fiero 4 cylinder and I'm looking to put something different in it. what do you guys recommend and what will bolt up? looking for something with power for a decent price. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Have you had a chance to explore the search function? Make sure you include the archives, and you will get lots of information on swaps for your car.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What exactly do you mean by "bolt up"? You don't get a lot of choices if it needs to be a bolt up swap with no custom work. The more work you are willing to do, the more choices you will have.

3.1 is the closest to a bolt up swap I believe.
1986FIERO-Brandin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FIERO-BrandinSend a Private Message to 1986FIERO-BrandinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok give me some suggestions. What have some of you done. I want the best bang for my buck. I want some power without spending to much money. Any suggestions?
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We swapped out my 4 cylinder for the 2.8 (upgraded to the 3.4L) on the cheap.

From what I've seen with projects posted here, keeping the price low comes down to the ability to do the work yourself. The more you can do, the less you pay for.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most bang-for-the-buck would be 3800 S/C. It will bolt-up to the Fiero transmission.
Beyond that, you'll have to build everything else: front motor mount, exhaust, wiring harness etc.
There's enough information here to walk you through it if you're mechanically inclined.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-17-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably the easiest upgrade would be to go to the 2.8 that came in the Fiero. Since you have a 4 cylinder, you would need an ECM, wiring harnesses and all the parts that bolt onto the V6. Grabbing a dropout from someone's engine upgrade or a wrecked Fiero would give you everything you need. If you could get a complete blown 2.8, you could go one step further and drop in a 3.4, and bolt all the Fiero V6 pieces onto it.
1986FIERO-Brandin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FIERO-BrandinSend a Private Message to 1986FIERO-BrandinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok give me some suggestions. What have some of you done. I want the best bang for my buck. I want some power without spending to much money. Any suggestions?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3800 SC

1986FIERO-Brandin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986FIERO-BrandinSend a Private Message to 1986FIERO-BrandinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you build that motor or did you buy it or pull it out of something?
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 SC (in phonedawgz's pic) came in a number of GM vehicles and is a very popular choice for swapping into a Fiero just because of the power gains, ease of the swap, and cost of the swap. Converting a 4 banger to a 3800 supercharged isn't much harder than converting it to the stock 2.8 V6.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Search function really is your best friend. You'll get as many variations of the "best swap" as there are - swaps. You need to do some research here on the Forum and decide what swap fits your skill, ability and wallet. "Ease" of swap is directly dependent upon your ability to do the work or your ability to pay someone to do it for you. Cheap - none are cheap - even swapping in a Stock 2.8 - if you are really doing it correctly - costs a fair amount of money.

My 0.2 cents - the 3800SC is tough to beat for expense and difficulty - the 4.9 Caddy is not difficult and can be done reasonably. Just remeer that anything other than a Stock Fiero for Stock Fiero swap is going to require some custom fab work, custom wiring work and a lot of "extra" odds & ends that add up pretty quickly. Good luck on your swap - you did come to the right place!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Bang for the buck", I just sold a good running 2.8 with a good trans, on a cradle, with EVERYTHING needed (exhaust, wiring, computer, to just" bolt it in' and "Plug it in" for $200 ! (guys replacing a bad 4 cylinder) Keep looking, post wanted ads, They are out there.
Find someone who's removing a 2.8 for a engine swap to a 3800 !

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock