Question about a GM service bulletin for Fieros by Robertzep2
Started on: 06-15-2014 08:28 PM
Replies: 8 (213 views)
Last post by: zzzhuh on 06-16-2014 01:57 PM
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I read somewhere that GM issued a service bulletin that all Fiero's with over 50,000 miles should be using 10w30 and not 5w30
So, did GM ever issue such a service bulletin?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure and it really doesn't make sense as the 5-30 oil is just about standard for almost all cars now. 5 is for startup lube and I would think an older car with more miles on it would be needing that.

But I did find this,

http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/...ero-v6-173-2_8l.html

Hope that helps

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you're sure that your pressure gauge is accurate (check pressure with a mechanical gauge and compare), stay with the 5 w 30 as long as your pressure stays in the 15# range at hot idle. It will probably stay just around 40# at road speed. If pressures drop, first go to 10 w 30 then to 20 w 40.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
haven't heard that one, but depending on your climate, it shouldn't be an issue.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was under the impression that 5w30 vs 10w30 was based on time of year & location. Cold vs warm climate. If that's true, suggesting a single standard wouldn't make much sense.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robertzep2:

I read somewhere that GM issued a service bulletin that all Fiero's with over 50,000 miles should be using 10w30 and not 5w30

I'm not aware of any such TSB. There was a TSB issued in the late 1970s or early 1980s advising against using 10W40 in GM engines for which 10W30 was specified.

Originally posted by no2pencil:

I was under the impression that 5w30 vs 10w30 was based on time of year & location. Cold vs warm climate.

The "30" is a rough index of the oil's viscosity (i.e. "thickness") at normal engine operating temperature (~100°C/212°F). The "5W" and "10W" are similar indices of the oil's viscosity at cold ambient temperatures (i.e. under cold-start conditions ... ~-18°C/0°F).

Both 5W30 and 10W30 will have the same viscosity at normal engine operating temperatures, but the 5W oil will provide better lubrication for cold starts ... the lower the start-up temperature, the greater the benefit from the 5W oil.

See this thread for an excellent discussion of the topic. Also see Motor Oil 101 for a more rigorous (if long winded) exploration of the subject of selecting the proper motor oil viscosity for different driving conditions.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-16-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5w30 is common on new cars. Tolerances are closer and they need it to get mpg the gov wants. Id never use 5w30 in a car older than 2000 unless the manual says to. I might if the daily temps were in single digits most of the time. I generally even use 10w30 or 10w40 in my newer cars. 5w just dont seem good enough to me just as temps of over 230* are too high. Im all old school...I want oil to cushion bearings and cylinders and running temps that arent already over boiling. Ill give up 1/2 mile per gallon of gas to make an engine last an extra 100K.
Robertzep2

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robertzep2Send a Private Message to Robertzep2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not ask this question based on a oil pressure problem my car is having. On a mechanical gauge, mine reads approx. 30 PSI at hot idle. The reason that I asked about this Service bulletin is; I had answered someone else's question about low oil pressure. I remember reading about this years ago, and could not for the life of me remember where I had read it. So I thought that I would throw it out there. Thanks for the replies.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First time I have heard anything about that. With today's oil's being mostly synthetics you should be just fine by using high mileage 5W30 full synthetic oil. I live in colorado so the altitude is rather high but I still use 5W30 with no problems at all.

------------------
The wetter the better

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 06-16-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock