PCV on 3800SC question by My1stMidEng
Started on: 06-15-2014 07:41 AM
Replies: 12 (630 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 06-19-2014 01:34 PM
My1stMidEng

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed a lot of oil in the SC. I was reading several threads on this and the there is good information. I'm also having an idle issue, the kind that points to an air intake leak. So the question is, given the design on the series 2 blower, is having a breather filter on the valve cover promoting the air leak by allowing excessive air (and oil) through the PCV? And if so then could also having excessive ring blow-by also do the same? (but maybe the oil smoke is caused by the PCV?)

thanks
Frank
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are only 2 ways of getting excess PCV pressure in the 3800SC.. Ring blow by and intake gasket leak allowing boost pressure into the crankcase.

A defective or gummed up PCV valve can also allow excessive oil to enter the intake because it does not shut properly. Is yours new?

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My1stMidEng:

I noticed a lot of oil in the SC. I was reading several threads on this and the there is good information. I'm also having an idle issue, the kind that points to an air intake leak. So the question is, given the design on the series 2 blower, is having a breather filter on the valve cover promoting the air leak by allowing excessive air (and oil) through the PCV? And if so then could also having excessive ring blow-by also do the same? (but maybe the oil smoke is caused by the PCV?)

thanks
Frank

R u still running an EGR?
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No EGR.

The PCV is not new but when looked at it looked clean. I'll replace it anyways.

So that is interesting if true about the intake gasket leak. Like I said it has the symptoms of having an air leak.

But that did not really answer my question about adding a breather on the valve cover.
Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No EGR.

The PCV is not new but when looked at it looked clean. I'll replace it anyways.

So that is interesting if true about the intake gasket leak. Like I said it has the symptoms of having an air leak.

But that did not really answer my question about adding a breather on the valve cover.

A breather would not really solve anything. It would make a mess of your engine bay if you have too much pressure in your crank case. Solve the pressure problem and all will be good again. The 3800SC is known for lower intake leaks. There is a new revised metal gasket that solves this. The repair is not very complicated and would maybe take 4 hours of your day if you take your time.

Cheers!

My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:

A breather would not really solve anything. It would make a mess of your engine bay if you have too much pressure in your crank case. Solve the pressure problem and all will be good again. The 3800SC is known for lower intake leaks. There is a new revised metal gasket that solves this. The repair is not very complicated and would maybe take 4 hours of your day if you take your time.

Cheers!

thanks. Ya, I think I'll replace the gaskets. I've already had the blower off recently so this shouldn't be to difficult.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2014 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a plastic insert that installs under the PCV valve on 3800 Series 2 and 3 SC engines. Make sure your PCV insert is still present, if not, it can cause problems.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

There is a plastic insert that installs under the PCV valve on 3800 Series 2 and 3 SC engines. Make sure your PCV insert is still present, if not, it can cause problems.

-ryan

ryan, unless I'm blind I don't see one. All that was there was the PCV and spring. This may be a stupid question, as I haven't been to the store yet, but can I expect the plastic piece to come with the new PCV?

[This message has been edited by My1stMidEng (edited 06-18-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ryan, unless I'm blind I don't see one. All that was there was the PCV and spring. This may be a stupid question, as I haven't been to the store yet, but can I expect the plastic piece to come with the new PCV?

When you pull the spring and the PCV valve out, the plastic insert should be left in the blower housing. It if is missing, then that could be the cause of some (if not all) of your problems. Typically the inserts fall out or get removed when someone is doing work (cleaning, etc) to the blower housing after it has been completely disassembled.

I believe GM is the only place you can get a new replacement insert, and you might need to buy a PCV valve "kit" in order to get it all. Consult your GM parts dealer.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-18-2014).]

My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When you pull the spring and the PCV valve out, the plastic insert should be left in the blower housing. It if is missing, then that could be the cause of some (if not all) of your problems. Typically the inserts fall out or get removed when someone is doing work (cleaning, etc) to the blower housing after it has been completely disassembled.

I believe GM is the only place you can get a new replacement insert, and you might need to buy a PCV valve "kit" in order to get it all. Consult your GM parts dealer.

Ryan,
Are there different blowers used on these engines? I pulled the PCV and there no plastic part. And I don't see any room for one either. Could I have a different series maybe? I was told this blower came from a 97 GTP. I tried posting a couple pic but PIP is timing-out.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 3800 Series 2 and 3 blower housings had a plastic insert that installed under the PCV valve. It's number "586" on this diagram: http://genmotorinfo.com/Pic...+&pid=960614GM00-319
PFF
System Bot
My1stMidEng

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My1stMidEngSend a Private Message to My1stMidEngEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

All 3800 Series 2 and 3 blower housings had a plastic insert that installed under the PCV valve. It's number "586" on this diagram: http://genmotorinfo.com /Pic...+&pid=960614GM00-319

Thanks Ryan.
Yes there is a plastic piece. I didn't realize it was down in the hole a ways and not on top. I couldn't get it out either until I made a hook to pull it out. It came out hard because one of the wall pieces was broken. So maybe this is the problem.

Does it matter if this plastic part faces one way or the other - orientation? I noticed holes in the bottom.

Thanks
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Ryan.
Yes there is a plastic piece. I didn't realize it was down in the hole a ways and not on top. I couldn't get it out either until I made a hook to pull it out. It came out hard because one of the wall pieces was broken. So maybe this is the problem.

Does it matter if this plastic part faces one way or the other - orientation? I noticed holes in the bottom.

Thanks

I believe the PCV valve will only fit into the plastic insert one way and the insert will only install into the blower housing one way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock