Coilovers (i know we all hate em) ride height questions by lordbg0205
Started on: 06-14-2014 04:11 PM
Replies: 4 (307 views)
Last post by: 2002z28ssconv on 06-14-2014 11:36 PM
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have read all the threads, been to all the websites, i need your guys help now. I have an 87 GT, with 1.75 coilscut in the front on 18x8 woth 225's on all four tires. Im working on the rear suspension now with fresh poly and struts and coilovers. I want this thing to sit just right. I want the STANCE perfect, like 1 inch between finger and tire. What can get me there? What do you guys have. Pics?. Super worried about getting everything perfect only to find out i can go any lower on Wcf kit or held kit, or my own pieced kit with 10" spring and 5" sleeve. Thankyou guys, my head is racing and it hurts, please help me out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mcguiver3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something no one has mentioned in regard to coil overs.
When you install a set all I hear about is ride height.
The thing about CO is that they are infinitely adjustable and the issue of corner weighting comes into play.
I would suspect that most people doing this mod try and measure from the ground to the crest of the wheel well to see get what they want.
It takes a set of race scales to accurately dial in the correct setting on the suspension system at that point.
Don't just rely on a tape measure or turns of an adjuster to get it right.
handling could and will be effected if not done correctly.
Just my $.02
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice i plan on 325lbs springs as this isnt a daily driver, its a toy with poly and a 2.8 so no racing for me just dont want to look like my moms sonata stance anymore.
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lordbg0205

236 posts
Member since Nov 2011
Really no one has coilovers on 18x8,s btw mine are 225, 40 r18s, 35mm offset
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Relax...

Rear coilovers are quite easy as long as your wheels aren't to wide. I wouldn't expect 18X8s with 225 tires to be a problem at all. Mine were 17x8 with 245/55/17 tires, but that's on an 88 too.
Either kit from the manufacturers you mentioned would get the job done. You will have plenty of height adjustment as long as you remove the stock spring perches from the struts and don't just leave the sleeves on top of the perches. I have heard of people doing that but I don't know how it would even be possible, really.
You can also gather parts for your own kit elsewhere, like Coleman Racing or Ebay.

Mcguiver is correct about using scales to dial in a perfect balance but most would find this step a waste of time and money.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock