v6 trunk blower / radiator fan by kendallville
Started on: 06-13-2014 07:44 PM
Replies: 10 (909 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-15-2014 02:50 PM
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so doing more work on the 86 GT, while I had the carpet out of the trunk decided to see why the blower did not
work and why the radiator fan is always on . First tested the blower motor by jumping it straight to the battery from
the motor connector. The motor started right up blowing a lot of air and dust from the pipes. I considered a bad relay
or bad temp sensor so took relay out to check but would not plug in to the relay tester ( to old ). Next I decided to
look at the relay and found this

The PO wanted the radiator fan to run all the time so he unplugged the wire from the temp sensor , broke the
connector and ran a wire from the end to where he plugged it in to the map sensor somehow.
not sure what to do for fear of making nothing work. Can you but replacement connectors for the wire? and if
so I only see one wire leading to it so I don't know what he did with the other ( I am sure it should be two wires
going to temp sensor)
Sorry another long post , any ideas would help thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

I am sure it should be two wires going to temp sensor

Are you discussing the "temp sensor" or the fan switch, because the fan switch has one wire.

kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my first time working on a v6 , so I had to check. I was told it worked of the temp of the motor turning it on ,
so I thought temp sensor . After finding a diagram you are right fan switch .
so that leaves the question why did he wire it the way he did?
would the fan switch be bad or just the connector or both? or was it just to make the radiator fan run all the time.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...or was it just to make the radiator fan run all the time.

That could've been done by simply grounding that single wire.

Nobody but the PO will know what the heck he was trying to do.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The PO wanted the radiator fan to run all the time so he unplugged the wire from the temp sensor , broke the
connector and ran a wire from the end to where he plugged it in to the map sensor somehow.
not sure what to do for fear of making nothing work.

Can you but replacement connectors for the wire? and if
so I only see one wire leading to it so I don't know what he did with the other ( I am sure it should be two wires
going to temp sensor)

..any ideas would help thanks

The coolant temp sensor is wired into the ECM with yellow and black wires. What color is the wire you see from the temp sensor - yellow (or something other than black) ?

The coolant temp wire goes into the MAP sensor - can you tell what color wire on the MAP sensor it mates too ?

Off hand i'd guess that all the guy did was ground the temp sensor (onto the MAP sensor) so the ECM has the fan turned ON all the time. I'd check the wire you have coming from the temp sensor and see if it's grounded (leave it connected to the MAP sensor when you check it).

I would not be afraid to disconnect the temp sensor wire from the MAP sensor. If you're worried about it, cut the temp wire and see if everything operates normally (except the fan is not ON all the time). if you have a problem, just solder it back together.

If you need new wires, your best source is either a junkyard or make a post in the Mall - someone with a parts car might just give you one

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-14-2014).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
i guess i'm not clear on what you're trying to accomplish. If you put everything back to factory, you might get back a problem the PO corrected with his custom wiring ... like the radiator fan might not come ON.

I guess i'd undo his wiring then see if the radiator fan comes On when it should. Then see if you can get the trunk fan running. I'm gonna guess that the PO grounded the temp sensor because he had overheating problems (like the fan not coming ON when it should) and maybe your trunk fan has a bad relay.

Here's a recent thread on the fan switch -

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000174.html
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The PO must have had overheating Problems, because the I disconnected the wire to the map sensor ( it
was grounded there ) and the radiator fan does not come on. I see Rodney does sell new fan switches which
is I found out what it is and he sell new pig tails to connect the wire on. Thinking about replacing them and
see if they work. I was thinking maybe it was part of the battery draw but changing my mind on that.
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The PO must have had overheating Problems, because the I disconnected the wire to the map sensor ( it
was grounded there ) and the radiator fan does not come on. I see Rodney does sell new fan switches which
is I found out what it is and he sell new pig tails to connect the wire on. Thinking about replacing them and
see if they work. I was thinking maybe it was part of the battery draw but changing my mind on that.

From what i've read, Rodney's fan switch turns the fan ON at 210 degrees. The factory switch turns it ON at 235 degrees. Here's a write up that I did with an adjustable fan controller that you can set to come on whenever you want.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084323.html

so now you have 3 choices for a solution for your fan switch problem .
georgie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for georgieSend a Private Message to georgieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have it back to stock, an have a/c in your car turn It on the fan sould come on if it run's then it's the fan switch for sure. Also the trunk fan will come on thay work at the same time.
msrservices

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msrservicesClick Here to visit msrservices's HomePageSend a Private Message to msrservicesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

i guess i'm not clear on what you're trying to accomplish. If you put everything back to factory, you might get back a problem the PO corrected with his custom wiring ... like the radiator fan might not come ON.

I guess i'd undo his wiring then see if the radiator fan comes On when it should. Then see if you can get the trunk fan running. I'm gonna guess that the PO grounded the temp sensor because he had overheating problems (like the fan not coming ON when it should) and maybe your trunk fan has a bad relay.

Here's a recent thread on the fan switch -

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000174.html

Although I fixed my issue (mine was in the link) with the low temp switch and thermostat, my fan seems to be running most of the time. It does turn off, but it's on much more often then originally.

I kind of wish I saw that third option (the adjustable temp setup) I think I would have done that.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by msrservices:

Although I fixed my issue (mine was in the link) with the low temp switch and thermostat, my fan seems to be running most of the time. It does turn off, but it's on much more often then originally.

You didn't say which of Rodney's fan switches you bought. I suspect the fact that you also mentioned getting a thermostat from Rodney that you chose the 195° /185° fan switch... which wasn't the one I suggested you get.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Should've bought the fan switch from Rodney that turns the fan on at 210° (instead of 235°). Works great.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock