Multiple Question About Restoring Parts by fierogtx
Started on: 06-13-2014 05:06 PM
Replies: 5 (305 views)
Last post by: fierogtx on 06-14-2014 09:00 AM
fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi im just putting a new front suspension and many parts like brake line ... i have many question about parts cleaning painting and .... so here are my question
1.about the coolant pipe question i have a little rust where the brackets was and what to do to remove rust from it ????? does the steel wool will remove some anti corrosion product .... i was thinking to sandblast it and powdercoat it ?????? dont know if the paint will affect the coolant pipe to release heat from the paint. i want to know what you do to your coolant pipe
2.about the stabilizer bar if i sandblast it does it will affect the rigidity of the stabilizer bar
3.when i remove the bolts from the crossmember rom the bottom of the crossmember we have 4 bolts to remove 2 at each side and one of these 4 bolts are a little bit longer does it is normal and dont know where that longer bolt goes does anyone know where you put it or saw that ??????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtx:

hi im just putting a new front suspension and many parts like brake line ... i have many question about parts cleaning painting and .... so here are my question
1.about the coolant pipe question i have a little rust where the brackets was and what to do to remove rust from it ????? does the steel wool will remove some anti corrosion product .... i was thinking to sandblast it and powdercoat it ?????? dont know if the paint will affect the coolant pipe to release heat from the paint. i want to know what you do to your coolant pipe

The coolant pipes are stainless steel (409 grade), so using steel wool to clean them up won't hurt them.

2.about the stabilizer bar if i sandblast it does it will affect the rigidity of the stabilizer bar

Nope, but it may roughen the surface where it is clamped with the sway bar bushings on the front chassis, which means you will really ned to grease the bushings.

3.when i remove the bolts from the crossmember rom the bottom of the crossmember we have 4 bolts to remove 2 at each side and one of these 4 bolts are a little bit longer does it is normal and dont know where that longer bolt goes does anyone know where you put it or saw that ??????

Don't know. I've never had to pull the front crossmember on a Fiero.

lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just dropped and refurbed the front crossmember on my 87 gt. Coolant pipes are stainless, use a little wool if you like but they are probably alright. There are two bolts under on both sides. Then three where the bracket meets the side frame, and two where they bolt thru the bracket vertically to the crossmember. The longest one is the top of the bracket into the side rail. 30mm versus 25mm if my memory serves me right. You can actually see the hole from the front compartment if you look hard enough. I also recommend epoxy paint for your components unless you really wanny spend some dollars. Mine was 8 bufks from oreilly it only comes in black. Hope this helps good luck.
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

Just dropped and refurbed the front crossmember on my 87 gt. Coolant pipes are stainless, use a little wool if you like but they are probably alright. There are two bolts under on both sides. Then three where the bracket meets the side frame, and two where they bolt thru the bracket vertically to the crossmember. The longest one is the top of the bracket into the side rail. 30mm versus 25mm if my memory serves me right. You can actually see the hole from the front compartment if you look hard enough. I also recommend epoxy paint for your components unless you really wanny spend some dollars. Mine was 8 bufks from oreilly it only comes in black. Hope this helps good luck.

the longest one was under the crossmember where you have 2 bolts under each side of the crossmember . sorry can you^detail me more about that sorry i speek french and just to make sure i will do the job right but im sure the longer one was under the crossmember
lordbg0205

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem i understand. Mine werent different sizes underneath, both 25 mm as i recall. The bracket that bolts to the side of the frame had a longer bolt by about 5mm on the top hole of the bracket that bolts to the side of the frame.
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordbg0205:

No problem i understand. Mine werent different sizes underneath, both 25 mm as i recall. The bracket that bolts to the side of the frame had a longer bolt by about 5mm on the top hole of the bracket that bolts to the side of the frame.

thanks now i understand what you mean . its strange because my fiero is low mile and i dont think the crossmember was removed before anyway i will replace all bolts

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock