Firebird Power Steering RACK by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 06-12-2014 04:23 PM
Replies: 48 (3282 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 12-10-2015 05:38 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on the 4th Gen power steering Rack rom a 1995 Firebird, there are a red and a blue "Fitting" for the hydraulic hoses. Which one is PRESSURE and which is return ?? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going by your diagram, the one going to the upper fitting on the column is the high pressure and lower one is the return.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. I'm getting ready to run the "Lines" in my '87 GT .
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Thank you. I'm getting ready to run the "Lines" in my '87 GT .

No Problem.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NOW, does anyone Know of a link to an 'EXPLODED VIEW" of a 95 Trans AM RACK / I've got a KIT on the way, this rack has a small leak into the boot, so I'm going to install new SEALS before it goes in. Thanks
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou how are you gonna set up your power steering pump?
-Joe
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's on the 3800SC already in the car. the lines are already run along side the cooling tube and up to the orig rack., and all I have to do is: ( I want to put new seals in the rack before I mount the front cross member into the car). the entire setup is already built and ready to go in besides the seals. (small leak in boot)
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where are the pics?????
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take some in next couple of days.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hope this works !
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
either it says it's too large or now it's too small.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the front cross member w/ power Steering Rack installed with New everything (bushings/balljoints/tierods), it's all Bolted in, "Lines" and Column hooked up, all I have to do it hook the lines to the "Pump/reservoir". Hopefully in a couple of days. (My back will not let me do much at a time. I get to do an Hours work, then "recover" for 2-3 days).
Strappado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StrappadoSend a Private Message to StrappadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to hear how this turns out. Are you using the original 3800 pump? are they the same pressure/volume?
had a friend do a custom power steering job on a buggy but he didn't realize the pump was rated at about double the pressure so it slowly wore out the rack till it exploded in a mess.
though i think he was trying to use a ford pump with a chevy rack.. its been to long

How does she drive? i'm doing a 3800 swap and was considering this myself.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have only driven it about 5 miles since I got it together, (Without the Power steering). the 3800SC with 4t65e trans is "Amazing" when you "nail it", otherwise drives very smooth and handles like it's on rails. I'm "guessing the steering won't feel Too much different except for requiring Less "EFFORT". will report back After I get to drive it WITH the P.S.
fieroaddicted

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2014 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroaddictedSend a Private Message to fieroaddictedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
we need more pics
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fully installed, have not been able to get it out yet (a lot of stuff in the way) but the "Effort seems to be about the same as the Wife's '93 Firebird Formula (that is what the Rack is out of).

1993 firebird RACK ($40), mounted to a spare Fiero Cross member, you can make the adapter plate yourself out of 1/4" steel,( or west coast fieros sells a kit) , 3/8" steel tubing running front the rack to the rear cross member ($30 Roll) at the 3800sc's power steering pump, 2 Tie rod "Adapters" $45 a pair( from west coast fieros). It is then connected to the pump with "altered" '93 firebird power steering hoses (2-Flexible hydraulic hoses)($10 at boneyard) I cut the ends off and attached the hoses to the 3'8" tubing with Compression fitting Couplers.
Really Not a hard or expensive installation, and for anyone like me with Back and shoulder problems, WELL Worth The effort !
I think the $$ cost for me was around $150 and my "Time"
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been watching this a while.
KUDOS

These are still too pricey, but they are starting to hit the yards. Late model Chrysler RWD electric/hydralic power steering pumps.
By what I'm seeing these have a power connector and a pressure control valve that is changed by the PCM. The unit is at full flow at lower speeds. But it looks like they can set up for always full. By what I can tell the motor is always on when the engine is running, but pressure is regulated for road feel. Other than that they look to be a normal rack.
I'm going to have to start checking into these a little more. I'm seeing these on 2011-2014, Chargers, 300, Challengers, Dakotas and Durangos. Could of sworn I saw on on a 1500. They are mounted on the frame right over the rack with the normal hoses. They even have their own reservoir built on.
If I get a chance i will check Mitchels for wiring and load. Haven't seen any failures yet. Knowing the issues I see with Chryslers, I will most likely see issues in the wiring first. PT losers are frying their radiator fan wiring a lot.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gotta tell ya. I finally got to actually "Drive" it. It could not have turned out Better ! The "combo" of the 3800SC Pump and the '93 firebird Rack is Perfect !
it's Not "1 finger spin the wheel", it's more "Power Assisted" , a "Cross Between" big car power steering an manual Fiero steering. NO Loss of "road feel", but easy enough to turn when standing stiil , (even with wider tires). I HIGHLY Recommend this Upgrade. :-) Big Grin !
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gotta tell ya. I finally got to actually "Drive" it. It could not have turned out Better ! The "combo" of the 3800SC Pump and the '93 firebird Rack is Perfect !
it's Not "1 finger spin the wheel", it's more "Power Assisted" , a "Cross Between" big car power steering an manual Fiero steering. NO Loss of "road feel", but easy enough to turn when standing stiil , (even with wider tires). I HIGHLY Recommend this Upgrade. :-) Big Grin !

I'm also in your corner. Converted mine to p/s several years ago with Trans Am rack / quick ratio. No regrets. Congrats!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
showing it installed w/ Lines running along the cooling tube to the rear.
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great...I am glad it is coming together for you.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made a "Domed" Fiber glass COVER where I hade to cut a hole in the spare tire TUB. Now it has a "removable Cover" so there is ACCESS to the PS Lines from the top without having to remove the entire "Tub"
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am satisfied with the Fieros steering performance and don't think that I will be converting to power steering anytime soon, BUT if I did, I would use the GM electric power steering pump. A belt driven (mechanical) power steering pump robs valuable horsepower that could make the difference in a close race, the electric doesn't. The electric pump would also be a more economical swap as you could mount it up front and not have to run long lines to the rear.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
electronic for Less than $150 total ? and how much ROOM does the electric take up ? Here's the cover
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
who makes or where can you get the tie rod end to match the Fiero length? Or alternatively does any one have drawings to have a machine shop make a set?

Rich
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the tie rod adapters (fiero to firebird rack) from west coast fieros.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou... Did you have to notch your firewall, or anything else? Were there any other "surprises"?

Thanks!
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notch my firewall ? No. just bracketed on the rack, it bolts right up to the Fiero Column, installed the adapters for the Fiero Tie rod ends, and ran 2 - 3/8" steel lines from front to back (next to the cooling tube) and connected them to the PS Pump. No other alterations or surprises. (only the 1 cut in the bottom of the spare tire well to clear the 3/8" lines) Cover I made shown.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay. Thanks very much.
Maybe I read that it was the Corvette rack that required enlarging the hole in the firewall for the steering shaft.
Cool!
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that input, Dr. Will.
I was looking for something with a quick ratio, but perhaps the C4 unit is a bit much. Still mulling this over...
Robert Reif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert ReifSend a Private Message to Robert ReifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notch my firewall ? No. just bracketed on the rack, it bolts right up to the Fiero Column, installed the adapters for the Fiero Tie rod ends, and ran 2 - 3/8" steel lines from front to back (next to the cooling tube) and connected them to the PS Pump. No other alterations or surprises. (only the 1 cut in the bottom of the spare tire well to clear the 3/8" lines) Cover I made shown.

Did the Firebird rack bolt right up to the cross member without any modifications or did you have to modify the cross member mounts to make it fit?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
-Can be done a few ways, 1st- adapt the Rack (cut off the original mounting points and use the fiero attachment points), #2- leave the rack alone and buy an attachment bracket (Or Make one yourself) and bolt it on. #3 Fabricate cut and weld(what I did) to make the rack fit. (cheapest way out)
Robert Reif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert ReifSend a Private Message to Robert ReifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you just change the driver's side mount or both?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drivers side only
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drivers side only

Can you please post some pics of the 3800 Engine power steering pump connection?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That I cannot do. the power steering pump is" Buried" way down low in the engine compartment. it's just 2 Rubber lines attached to the 2 3/8" steel lines that run up front. the original rubber lines, the threaded ends were cut off and attached with 3/8" brass compression" couplers" to the steel front to rear lines.
Robert Reif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert ReifSend a Private Message to Robert ReifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to bother you again but did you leave the Firebird rack stock and make a new cradle mount that used the stock driver side rack mount or did you cut up the rack like WCF does?

I'm considering doing this to my car and I want to know what I will be getting into before I start down that road.
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-Can be done a few ways, 1st- adapt the Rack (cut off the original mounting points and use the fiero attachment points), #2- leave the rack alone and buy an attachment bracket (Or Make one yourself) and bolt it on. #3 Fabricate cut and weld(what I did) to make the rack fit. (cheapest way out)

Can you add a little detail to what you had to do for number 3 option?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock