Pioneer deck install by Odin
Started on: 06-11-2014 01:58 AM
Replies: 10 (328 views)
Last post by: Fiervette on 06-14-2014 09:03 PM
Odin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My old pioneer deck quit. Went out and picked up a new one. It uses a smaller harness. I have a gm aftermarket stereo harness pluged into the fiero harness, the new pioneer harness gets connected to that. I'm having difficulty getting the thing to turn on. My car is an 88gt with the performance sound option. Anyone know what the small harness with with 2 wires is for? Is the constant12v and the switched power on the large harness with the ground?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might help.
Fiero Radio Wiring
Odin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OdinSend a Private Message to OdinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. I have tried using those diagrams. The problem is that there are actually 2 harnesses my car has in there. One with only two wires on it orange and brown I believe. Then a second main harness which has all the speakers and the ground. My last deck was hooked up using a combination of these two harnesses. It's a little confusing I can't seem to get power to it.

[This message has been edited by Odin (edited 06-11-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get a wiring diagram of the old head unit, you can find out which wires do what by tracing back from that.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Odin:

Thanks for the reply. I have tried using those diagrams. The problem is that there are actually 2 harnesses my car has in there. One with only two wires on it orange and brown I believe. Then a second main harness which has all the speakers and the ground. My last deck was hooked up using a combination of these two harnesses. It's a little confusing I can't seem to get power to it.

On the smaller harness, only one of the wires is used for the pioneer. The adapter harness should only have one wire coming from it (stereo side). Look at the color of the wire and reference it to the link that was provided in the first reply. If it's orange, thats your constant 12V and should be wired to the yellow on the pioneer harness. If its yellow on the car, it is your switched 12V and should be wired to the red on the pioneer harness.

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuse or a ground is where I'd look.
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like to use a small 12v electric motor to test the wires. Im sure you probubley allready know this, one wire is intermitant power (poweres the sterio, key on and off) and one wire is a constant 12V, for the sterio clock and memory.The remainder is your speaker wires.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Odin:

The problem is that there are actually 2 harnesses my car has in there. One with only two wires on it orange and brown I believe.

I'm gonna guess that the orange is a power wire and the brown is for illumination. Your radio should have 4 wires:

Power in RUN - this is power to turn the radio ON and OFF
Power Constant - this is power that keeps your saved radio station pre-sets in memory
Illumination - this dims the display when you turn your lights ON
Ground

Personally, I never do wiring without a multimeter. With a coupon, you can get one for free at Harbor Freight with a purchase [this should be worth a + ]

http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-14-2014).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
on the 2 prong harness
ORG in Cont +12V
BRN is for the dimmer

Are you using the "performance sound" sub?
if so there additional wireing to get it to turn on, as the later decks have a power out.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

huracan2015

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for huracan2015Send a Private Message to huracan2015Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did the same thing to my car a few weeks ago. I literally messed around with it until it worked becasue I don't know anything about wiring, but now I do. In my case, it was a yellow and orangw wire. Those are the power wires. The other harness simply connects to the speakers.
Fiervette

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FiervetteSend a Private Message to FiervetteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Sardonyx247 said, since you have the premium sound that you need to hook up power to the subwoofer amp. This connection is not referenced in the wiring diagram you were linked to. On connection E there are 2 pink wires which power the amp. This would be a single wire on the adapter plug. This connection needs to be powered when the radio is switched on. So, the obvious thing to do is use the power antenna connection. This is normally the blue wire on an aftermarket stereo. One problem with this is the aftermarket radios only output enough current on this connection to energize a relay. The power antenna output is not meant to drive a load such as an amp. I had a woomp, woomp sound constantly when hooked mine up. I had to hook up an accessory relay that was switched on with this connection and powered through the yellow wire. Let me if you need more detail on the relay connections.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock