Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How hot does it get in the front compartment?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How hot does it get in the front compartment? by 2.5
Started on: 06-10-2014 09:17 PM
Replies: 21 (525 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-02-2014 02:21 AM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hot does it get in the front compartment where the spare tire is?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Sabenn_88_notch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only heat coming in is from the coolant into the radiator.

But there is constant air movement from under the car. Doesn't get hotter than 100 F probably ever. Unless the air outside is warmer
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

No Jason, you cannot cook your dinner while driving in the front trunk area

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

LOL, Car-b-que!

Kevin
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

LOL, Car-b-que!

Kevin

yep in a Fiero.....
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys laugh about cooking dinner but the old VW beetles used to offer an optional cooker that sat atop the motor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

Na, thats what the back is for

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Sabenn_88_notch:

Doesn't get hotter than 100 F probably ever. Unless the air outside is warmer

That'd be good. So, heat sensitive things can be stored up there, even when parked. I know the rear gets hot from the engine and the cabin gets hot when parked especially with windows up.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

You guys laugh about cooking dinner but the old VW beetles used to offer an optional cooker that sat atop the motor

I was laughing because the first thing I thought of was an episode of Wings.

Kevin
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I go grocery shopping, I store frozen items in the front trunk where the spare is and the regular groceries in the back. I've gotten a few looks placing bags on both ends of the car.

Many people have mounted audio electronics in the front trunk, and they do not seem to have a high failure rate. The air cabin vent tubes are also near the front bulkhead, so that air rushing into the vents would help to cool the area of the trunk right by the windshield. I would take a guess that you'd probably have to worry more about ambient heat on a super hot summer day with the car sitting than ambient heat caused by the car running.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a remote/wireless thermometer to answer the question. The plastic skin ensures a good link between the sender and the display.

Ambient temperature 73F (it's San Diego!), A/C off:

At 70mph, front = 75F and rear = 85F
After 1 hour parked in the sun, front = 124F and rear = 140F
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:
At 70mph, front = 75F and rear = 85F

Parking tn the sun will kill your frozen foods faster than driving. Be sure to take them out when you get home.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

Thanks for testing!

Hmm, how hot is too hot for this? Bad idea? The can does not say.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-11-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With radiant heat from radiator AND the sun on it, Ill guess over 150*. The passenger compartment gets near that setting outside. Ive had plastic items melt setting on the seat or dash. The cars color would affect it to some extent too. Black getting the hottest, and white being the coolest. One reason you seen most RVs with white or silver roofs and body shells. These days you see more colors on them because they have more and better AC units.

I actually had an old cookbook made for cars with times and where to put different foods to cook them on the engine. You can cook anywhere from the air cleaner to the exhaust manifolds. Local tv news a few years ago showed them cooking eggs and bacon on a car hood outside in the sun.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I wont bring extra fuel for the power tour leg I am doing. Was thinking it'd be nice if I was stuck in a traffic jam and ran out of gas. 150 degrees is pushing it I bet for that can. Could keep it in the cabin with me, but then remove when I park and put where I wonder...

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 06-11-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep one of those cans in the engine compartment of my jeep Cherokee right next to the quart of oil and quart of trans fluid never had a problem with any of them I know it gets hotter than 150 degrees lol
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're doing the Power Tour, just take along a 2 gallon fuel can. Empty. You will be doing the run with lots of people and they'll usually stop to lend a hand. Keep the can in the passenger floor and as you coast to the side of the road, reach over and grab it and wave it out the window. Someone will stop to help.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about placing the can in a small soft sided cooler? Should be enough to insulate IMO.
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never thought of using 2-cycle premix fuel as emergency fuel in my car. I'm guessing thhat a 50:1 mix is no worse than bad rings. Hmmmm.....
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oil mix in an emergency? Not recommended because the Catalyst does not like burning Oil. Burning Oil w/ ZZP can poison a cat.

50:1 is 2.6oz per gallon of gas

Adding 1 gallon of the mix to 1-2 gallons trapped in most system... thins oil more.
Just the same... Adding more soon, best to fill the tank, to dilute further.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A more expensive, but safe alternative is Magik Tank. 1/2 gallon emergency fuel substitute that is designed to be left in the trunk like a spare tire would be. But cheap it is not. $19.95 for a half gallon.

http://www.mymagictank.com/

Guess safety costs.

Might be different ones but this is said to be actual gasoline that is refined to be safe in hot areas.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2014 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Originally posted by Sabenn_88_notch:

Doesn't get hotter than 100 F probably ever.

Is New Berlin north of the Arctic Circle?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-02-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock