my new old car by Exotion
Started on: 06-09-2014 07:44 PM
Replies: 56 (1241 views)
Last post by: Exotion on 01-06-2015 02:50 PM
Paul.S

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

......but the question is whether it's worth the time and money fabricating an entire wiring harness and buying a new ECU and several electronics components just to cram the wrong motor in the car. If you're going to the trouble of buying computers and electronics and fabricating wiring harnesses, you might as well put an actually good motor in the car in the first place. You are going to need to invest lots of dollars and lots of time for 8hp.

Plus a “Nobody said anything about that” or 2. Take a look at an Ecotec or Quad Four swap to get an idea of what you will have to do. It is a lot of work to do for something that wont add any value over a stock Fiero. If you want to do that kind of a project, why not swap an Ecotec or Quad Four and end up with something cool when you are done? -Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula 25k miles, garaged since 1988

[This message has been edited by Paul.S (edited 12-18-2014).]

IP: Logged
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because in the future I will do something cool. Right now I want a running vehicle and a nice lesson. I'm using what was available a engine "running" for 300 shipped is worth it for me it'll work and then I'll have a little car to play with. When it's running that's when I'll start nodding, upgrading it it will be a car I intend on keeping so a small investment now and a larger one later is ok with me I just want to learn and have fun I appreciate the help I get here because I've never done something like this I am a decent mechanic so it should come natural to me
Paul.S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exotion:

because in the future I will do something cool. Right now I want a running vehicle and a nice lesson. I'm using what was available a engine "running" for 300 shipped is worth it for me it'll work and then I'll have a little car to play with. When it's running that's when I'll start nodding, upgrading it it will be a car I intend on keeping so a small investment now and a larger one later is ok with me I just want to learn and have fun I appreciate the help I get here because I've never done something like this I am a decent mechanic so it should come natural to me

There is a lot of value in a cheap fun education and learning something now can be more useful than learning something “when everything comes together”. Learning usually involves making some mistakes and they can be easier to correct on a cheaper engine.

A big part of the forum is sharing what we have learned. We wanted you to know what you were getting into and think things through and it sounds like you have. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Paul.S (edited 12-19-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the new heart [img]
[/img]
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couple questions started taking stuff out of the engine bay and looking at new engine. The new one is distributor less so what ir where do the plug wires go seems I Am missing something, is it possible(prolly stupid question) to convert the new engine to use distributor?

The new engine doesn't have a place for a oil filter again am I missing some parts?

Is there a simple tbi to carb conversion if not no big loss I just love carbs I work on them all the time and am very good at tuning them.

Tearing stuff out of the engine bay is turning out to be quite the pita can get the exhaust manifold bolt close to the front of the engine and unplugging wire harnesses etc lol I'll figure it out I will probably need to unplug from computer and pull through firewall seeing as I need a new harness anyway
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The new engine doesn't have a place for a oil filter again am I missing some parts?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/123550.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-21-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, didn't quite get to the bottom of the engine yet my bad ^^ any idea about the distributor and carb conversions?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is literally what everyone was telling you on the first page. The newer engine has no place for a distributor. You are going to need to rewire the car and install a computer from a motor with DIS. You'll also need the coilpack, obviously.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 12-22-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I sourced a computer and wire harnesses from an 88 2.5.

So I'll need a coilpack anything else. A shopping list would be nice

I don't want to make anyone upset I understand this isn't going to be easy and I'm cool with that. But I am doing it so I appreciate the the help I almost have the engine unbolted after that I'll start a build thread
Paul.S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't want to make anyone upset I understand this isn't going to be easy and I'm cool with that. But I am doing it so I appreciate the the help I almost have the engine unbolted after that I'll start a build thread

Now that it is clear that you know what you are getting into and why you are doing it this way, I think this may be the perfect project for you. Even if you don't get a running car out of this, I expect you will come out of it more knowledgeable and better prepared for your next project.

To the naysayers remember this:
Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
-Anonymous

Think back. Isn't there something you chose to do that didn't go well but taught you important things you wouldn't have learned if you had chose something easier? There are times when no mater how much good advice you get, you never really understand it till you go and see for yourself. -Paul

------------------

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well if it's not running then it's going to sit for a few more years. But I am pretty determined to get it going. Besides getting a few new parts and a lot of labor I don't see why this isn't going to work also it's a better engine so meh. But does this mean I am not going to get much help on here because if so I am going to stop looking for replies. I honestly understand you guys you think it's stupid to swap to this engine but honestly it doesn't matter because it's what I am doing and 5 years or so I might have enough money to actually upgrade and restore it.

My dream is a tdi engine on bags with a super luxurious interior with cruise control it will be my highway car ad I regularly drive from Spokane to Portland 7 hour drive but alas I don't have the money to do this so ill suffice with a running beater until then because my truck drunks gas and doesn't fit in parking garages. Also I really love fieros and 82-85 Toyota celicas
PFF
System Bot
Paul.S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps I should have phrased my previous post better. If I had to bet money, I'd bet that you get it running. What I was trying to say was that I thought even in the worst case scenario you will be coming out ahead on the deal so the naysayers can back off now.

I don't Know much about 4 cylinder Fieros, but I will give you what help I can.

I'm rooting for you. -Paul

------------------

Paul.S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul.SSend a Private Message to Paul.SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Paul.S

107 posts
Member since Nov 2014
The quote was meant as an inside joke and a little poke at the old-timers in this thread about how they probably got the information they are now sharing here. I didn't mean to say that you were using bad judgment, but looking back at it I can see that it easier to take it that way than the way I meant it. I have a very dry sense of humor and sometimes I bury my jokes so deep that I am the only one who catches them. My apologies. -Paul
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I've been active on a few automotive forums and am active on a lawn mower forum (career/hobby) I had and played with a '83 Celica gt-s my favorite car. I've fixed so much on my old 1989 jeep Cherokee so much I basically rebuilt it I currently own a 1999 keep Cherokee and a 2004 Nissan titan both mechanically sound so much so I needed a car to play with hence the fiero. Both my old jeep and Toyota got sold I still regret selling the Toyota so while I am kinda new at a project this big I am still an adequate mechanic and have a understanding of engines and the tools used to maintain them
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think what you are going to run into is that nobody has ever done this swap because it's a huge amount of effort for little gain. Whereas lots of people have put a 3800 in a Fiero and many ins & outs are well documented, few if any will have tackled this job. That said, "my new old car" is going to get very few glances. Try posting a new thread called '88 Duke into '84 Fiero and see what you get from that. Finally, if you have a specific question, ask it - "what do the spark plugs connect to" is a good question. "Tell me what I should do" is not. Don't expect folks to do this job for you - nobody is going to sit back and imagine this project and give you a step by step. This is your project, your challenge. I'm sure everyone here will be happy to help with problems you run into, but nobody is going to both figure out your roadblocks and solve them for you. You've been given a significant leg up with the knowledge that the car's ECU and wiring are not compatible with the new motor and the new motor is physically different from the old. Go source a new wiring harness and a new ECU work on getting those installed. Verify the '88's mounts are the same as the '84's. Those are the big things you need to handle first, then start working on the details.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 12-24-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update?
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have engine unbolted and disconnected I haven't been feeling well neither has my neighbor as soon as we both feel decent we are going to pull the engine out the top. Since I have the head off we are just going to pull via headbolts. Then I am going to start collecting things I need for the new engine give it a good tune up and new gaskets then drop it in bolt it up where the real work starts
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock