my new old car by Exotion
Started on: 06-09-2014 07:44 PM
Replies: 56 (1243 views)
Last post by: Exotion on 01-06-2015 02:50 PM
Exotion

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I obtained an 84 fiero with the.2.5 4 cyl engine. It's bone stock and white even has original tires! Lol its been sitting in a field for 7 years after it overheated so headgasket time. I am going to attempt that this weekend I've never done one but I have a haynes and am going to figure it out I am very good mechanically and fix lawn mowers and sell them. I've always done my own work on my old 89 jeep Cherokee and my 2004 Nissan Titan.

Head gasket looks more complicated than I originally thought. Took valve cover off and realized one intake and exhaut need to be taken off and gaskets replaced as well, also the thermostat and gasket will need replacing. I am going to take a chance and not get the head looked at ( yes I am aware that if its warped it will happen again) so hopefully ill have funding for that this weekend.
Do the head bolts need replaced? Napa doesn't have them on their parts catalog
I don't see anything that's going to interfere with timing? I don't have that equipment.
Do the valves need readjusting?

After I get that done I will be adding new coolant I have read the special procedure for doing this and will follow it. New oil, new dizzy cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, battery cables, I already got a new battery. Possibly if I can come up with the money new hoses.

Other than that the removable panel the the driver side of the engine I am going to cut and put a 12" fan there to circulate air. other than that I am just wanting this car as a project cruiser not a race car.
Anything else that should be looked at considering its 30 years old 156k miles and been sitting in a field for 7 years?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! I need to challenge your first assumption......maybe the head gasket is fine. Do some troubleshooting.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The guy i bought it from said he did some tests (he wouldn't specify) that the head gasket is blown. There is no water in the oil. And on the short drive home I saw the thermostat open but it did continually get hotter the cooling fan never kicked on but i never actually let it overheat.

Not sure why overheating other than the headgasket has a hole and possibly exhaust getting somewhere they werent supposed to.

After I got it home and parked I can't start it back up without starting fluid. It will start up idle at about 800 sputtered and die quickly I press the gas pedal and it dies. Fuel filter is supper clogged but there is still flow in the throttle body. The dizzy cap was loose and is very dirty. Wires are cracked and the plugs I believe are original.. the plugs are so dirty I don't see how they could have even sparked they were completely gummed up. I believe this to be my current starting issue. As for the overheating I am not sure.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should do a wet/dry compression test before you take things apart. That will tell you lots about the engine.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well my naievensss is already past that. I took valve cover off (gasket was destroyed) and the tps sensor which is very very dirty I took 5 head bolts off to see their condition and they came out easy. I was convinced I was going to need to replace top end gaskets so I already started :/ I could put them back I just took out the ones by the valves.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have energy to burn.....so you could go either way....keep an eye out for cracks in the head.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So do the headbolts need replaced?
Do I have to deal with timing at all?
Any advise or things I should do with the head off ?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are making it too complicated. Get a reaman head with the valves seated and you are good to go.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1700 posts
Member since Oct 2009
Head bolts must be replaced.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You started it up and drove it home after it being idle in a field for 7 years?
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya it had a half tank of gas I added a can of seafoam, put in a fresh battery, shot of starting fluid and vroom I only live 1.5 miles from the place
PFF
System Bot
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just put my order in a motion auto supply. (My friend gets a discount)
Gaskets: head, intake, exhaust, valve seals, valve cover, thermostat, water pump.
Ignition: coil, dizzy cap, o ring, rotor, wires, double platinum plugs.
Filter: air, fuel.
Fluids: oil + filter, coolant, windshield
Serpentine belt. And thermostat (180)

Total $210

Nobody has headbolts.... Napa has none that will work, motion has nothing, carquest, autozone. I went to a fasteners place they don't have them looks like I need to reuse...

I plan on cleaning the egr and tps. I cleaned the engine bay but will clean everything that comes off and everything accessible when things come off. I got my haynes in the mail. I am going to clean the o2 sensor as wrll.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend is a retired master mechanic he says that they are ok to re use. Need to clean and chase put the holes. All the auto parts stores says they can he reused.. even the haynes manual says they can be re used. Why is it that you guys think they cannot be.

They came out easy enough. The ones by the exhause were really dirty but were easily cleaned with compressed air. Threads look fine. Heads are not even remotely stripped
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can re-use the bolts if you like them. I thought you were looking for new bolts.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/130129.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-11-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh ok. I just wanted to make sure because some cars you cannot. My jeep Cherokee we couldn't re use because they were stretch bolts or something I mostly observed that job while my friend did all the work
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The intake manifold on this is truly a pita! Didnt realize half the engine is attached to it.
Got tps valve out, throttle body out, found out coil mount is attached, then all the intake bolts, and engine torque mount. Then oh look the bracket that holds alternator needs to come out. And for the life of me i cannot get a wrench or socket on the bottom bolt of the mount that's attached to the head.. do I need a special tool because slowly turning it with a screw driver doesn't seem feasible
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disappointment piston #1 has a hold smack in the middle. The walls are perfect and no aparent damage to head no idea how but a giant hole in it. So new questions!
Can you replace only one piston? Would you re use the rings? Can you do it without pulling the engine?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They can be re-used as they are not torque-to-yield bolts - GM did start using them consistently until much later.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-13-2014).]

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't matter anymore. I have a piston with a quarter sized hole in the top center. Looking into fixing this next
PFF
System Bot
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So after a lot of thought I am going to rebuild the 2.5 thought about swapping and decided to keep the 4cyl. I will be looking into some different parts to maybe get a few more HP out of it. Going to get the head cleaned and rebuilt at a shop. I am going to replace pistons, rings, oil pump, bearings, and gaskets. In the block as well as clean and inspect everything. Couple upgrade questions

I k.ow some things can be replaced for power such as a different piston and header what are some others and a source for them?

The throttle body is ok and I know the holley is not readily available. What are some other options has anyone switched to carbed?

What can I do to upgrade things outside the engine. Like starter, alt, water pump etc ?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to rebuild a '84 2.5 ? WHY ? you would be MUCH better off to get a 1986 2.5 and do it. an 84 had Bad RODS, you need pistons,(there was a REASON it burned a hole in that piston) a '86 block has a roller cam. Just saying.....
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because I have this one. And I don't have that one. It will be a good learning experience. And later on ill co sider a swap.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally an Update I just got a good deal on a 88 2.5l engine for 300 already bought it should be here within a couple weeks. I am swapping this into my 84 i read something about oil pan differences can i swap my old oil pan on to the new engine or what do i Need to do. also is there anything else i need to know. And i cant seem to find a write up on this swap if there is one can someone send me the link?
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Exotion:

Finally an Update I just got a good deal on a 88 2.5l engine for 300 already bought it should be here within a couple weeks. I am swapping this into my 84 i read something about oil pan differences can i swap my old oil pan on to the new engine or what do i Need to do. also is there anything else i need to know. And i cant seem to find a write up on this swap if there is one can someone send me the link?

Sell it.
It doesn't work with your throttle body. You can't just swap your old intake on because the ports don't line up.
It doesn't work with your ECM or wiring harness. An 88 ECM does not swap in place.
It doesn't work with your ignition, there is no physical place to put a distributor.
It doesn't work with your old motor mount bracket.

etc.
etc.
etc.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, look for 84-86 Fiero engine. 87-88 are different and require a lot of work to swap.

Originally posted by KurtAKX:

Sell it.
It doesn't work with your throttle body. You can't just swap your old intake on because the ports don't line up.
It doesn't work with your ECM or wiring harness. An 88 ECM does not swap in place.
It doesn't work with your ignition, there is no physical place to put a distributor.
It doesn't work with your old motor mount bracket.

etc.
etc.
etc.

Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I already bought it and am putting it in. Looks like it comes with everything attached including intake and throttle body so to swap it in what am I going to need.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How good are you at fabricating wire harnesses? Start a build thread because we will all want to watch your progress.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty good at wiring, if I have some good diagrams that tell me what each wire does I could prolly figure it out the mounts appear the same looks like some clearance issues with the newer oil pan but also appears that the old one is a direct swap. I have a Haynes book just wondering what other things I'll need at hand
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's just so much more work than getting the right engine.... Jakispyder has more experience with the L4, so I defer to him, but connectors won't match, computer is different, wires will be too short. I think you will end up taking the 84 chassis harness out of the car and installing a 88 harness......
PFF
System Bot
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For all intensive purposes the engine is the same how different can the wiring possibly be? And same for the computer I didn't even these old cars had a ecu lol could the old computer be wired into the new engine?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ignition system is completely different. 84 is HEI with a proximity style (magnetic field) distributor, and the 88 is solid state with coilpaks. the 88 ECM is required to run the 88 engine.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So if I buy an 88 ecu and an 88 harness would that simplify things ? I bet Napa has them
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick thought can you replace the tbi with a carb?
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was just informed it was a Celebrity Ciera P6000 Fiero Century 2.5 Engine Ready To Install FREE SHIPPING curious if this changes anything?
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It doesn't change anything. The '88 motor is physically different inside and out than the '84 motor. GM continually refined this engine and each iteration created incompatibilities with previous versions. In your case, the electronics present in the '88 motor won't work with the '84 ECU, and the '88 ECU (which you'd still need to buy) won't work with the wiring already present in the car. Obviously with these cars anything is possible - but the question is whether it's worth the time and money fabricating an entire wiring harness and buying a new ECU and several electronics components just to cram the wrong motor in the car. If you're going to the trouble of buying computers and electronics and fabricating wiring harnesses, you might as well put an actually good motor in the car in the first place. You are going to need to invest lots of dollars and lots of time for 8hp. If you have lots of time and lots of dollars, pick up a V6 and go for 50hp. If you don't, return or sell the '88 motor and go get an '86 motor.

Unless you're a seasoned DIYer, listen to the folks on this forum - they have good advice to dispense and will get you going with a minimal amount of trouble. When someone says "don't rebuild an '84 motor, get an '86 motor" they aren't talking just to hear themselves speak - they're giving good advice to get you a cost-effective result.
Exotion

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ExotionClick Here to visit Exotion's HomePageSend a Private Message to ExotionEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well here is a pic if the culprit. Engine should be here today. Got the car in my garage cramped but fit going to pull engine off trans axle soon. Going to try not to pull whole rear end and just pull the engine from top
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2014 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Word.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay