Question on compression by Adjustso3
Started on: 06-09-2014 03:17 PM
Replies: 14 (317 views)
Last post by: Adjustso3 on 06-24-2014 12:45 PM
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I finally bought a 3800 SC to start working on. It wasn't seized up. I left the spark plugs in and was able to turn the motor with a breaker bar. Is this normal ? Should I be able to do that with the spark plugs in ? I thought you would of had to remove the plugs in order to manually move it. I bought the motor and on the ride home I started thinking about it and was getting a little worried because I thought you wouldn't be able to budge it with the plugs in. The motor has about 112,000 miles on it and looks really clean. He said it ran great but the car got rear ended and totaled.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you can turn one over with the plugs in. Larry
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can turn it, but it will be harder when you're on a cylinder's compression stroke, and you may be able to hear a slight hissing as compressed air escapes from the cylinder on the compression stroke.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I was really worried because it was pretty easy using a breaker bar. I thought that it would be possible to do it with the plugs in but not that easy. I did hear a hissing noise every once in a while while turning it. The supercharger has no wobble on the pully and if you spin it you can hear a hissing noise also. Thanks for the reply guys. I was really worried.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, If you CAN'T turn it with a breaker bar you should worry !
Stubby79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I can turn an engine /w plugs over with my 1/2" socket drive (maybe 12" long), you ought to have no trouble with a breaker bar.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys thanks. Any suggestions on which manual to purchase ? I'm a little lost on this motor. Not like the old days with a SBC. Also where do all you guys get your parts from ? I think I'm gonna save up and buy a complete gasket kit and have the heads redone. What do you guys suggest I have done to the heads ? I'd love this motor to so about 300 hp+.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lower intake, valve covers, supercharger, oil pan gaskets, water pump, and leave the rest alone.
Seriously.
Don't mess with the heads.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what olejoedad said, " don't fix what ain't broke" ! if you start taking apart a 3800, it will start getting "Expensive" real quick, almost none of the bolts are even re-usable, you have to buy new ones because of " Torque to yield". just to "LOOK At your Bearings, even if you don't need any, it will cost in the neighborhood of $200 Just for Bolts ! Not inc head bolts head bolts ! Do a comp test,(before you buy any parts). Thoroughly CLEAN everything, change the lower intake gasket (use aluminum), new water pump while it's out, and call it a day.
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm gonna try to find an 86-87 GT with a 5 speed. Where do you suggest I have the harness done at ? I PMd Fieroflyer but no reply. Also where should I order all the new mounts and I believe I need a flywheel. Who or where do you guys recommend ? I would also like to get familiar with the 3800 SC. Just by looking at electrical components I'm kinda lost. What is the best manual to purchase to familiarize me with the motor ? Also, do you suggest I put all new sensors in ? Once again, many thanks in advance.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to replace a sensor unless it is not working.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to "learn" about the 3800Sc engine, just go on ebay and buy a 1998 Riviera original or reprint "Service manual," sometimes you can get one for $10 !
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 04:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Lou for the reply. My engine was from a 2001 Regal so it really doesn't matter which car I buy the service manual for ?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as long as it's a series 2, and you are wiring for series 2. get a manual closest to what you are actually using . "series", egr, ECM, harness...
Adjustso3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks once again Lou. You don't suggest having the heads ported and polished ? When I'm replacing the oil pan gasket do you think I should replace the bearings ? I'm putting it in a 1987 FIERO with a 5 speed Getrag. What clutch do you suggest I use ? Also where should I get the flywheel ? Unless there is a step by step for the harness I'm probably gonna have to have that done too. Who do you suggest I have do it ? Is there a brand of gaskets that are the best ? Where should I purchase the mounts and lower alternator bracket? I've pm'd Fieroflyer for the harness and haven't heard anything for about a month so I assume he's not doing them anymore.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock