Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Need info for 1984 4.9 swap trany wiring.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Need info for 1984 4.9 swap trany wiring. by Dave_m
Started on: 06-08-2014 02:32 PM
Replies: 10 (335 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 06-15-2014 01:19 PM
Dave_m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am putting a 1994 4.9 with auto trany in my 1984 fiero.
I need to know where to put the trany gear selector switch wires to.
Its a 7 wire plug and i am just pulling my hair out trying to get this together.

------------------
1995 fiero Lamborghini kit
1986 fiero 4.9l swap in the works
1987 fiero 2.8l stock at this time.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A - Unused
B - Engine Ground (needed do not omit)
C - Unused
D - Lt. Green - To C500 E1 - To back up lights
E - Unused - Unless your switch does not have a large purple wire that runs to the starter, If it doesn't have the direct wire to the starter then this position gets the large purple wire to the starter solenoid.
F - Dk Blue - C500 E2 - Switched power from the fuse box (The switch connects pins F & D when in reverse)
G - Large Yellow wire - C500 A4 - Starter control from the switch.

* C500 terminal designations are for an 84.
85 - 88 wire differently.

Are you using relays to power the 4.9? Otherwise how are you powering your circuits? Are you adding a power distribution post or will you continue to use the positive battery terminal as the power distribution post?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-08-2014).]

Dave_m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. That helps.

As for the relays, no im not. I am running power from the fiero block to ecm

------------------
1985 fiero Lamborghini kit
1986 fiero 4.9l

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 wiring has one less fused power lead to the engine. You will have to run all the injectors on one fuse. I suppose you could get away with using the switched power to the ECM to also run the AT, EGR solenoid, EVAP solenoid. The ECM doesn't take it's power from the switched lead but instead from the constant +12 leads. It only looks at the switched +12 as an input to turn on the ECM.

I've always ran a power relay on the 84s.
Dave_m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am running new fused lines from the panel for the injectors.
Using the fiero block to ecm for constant 12v power.
And using the c203 for the on and off for the ecm.

------------------
1986 fiero 4.9l

Dave_m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wires for the switch are not adding up to what you had told me.
A red with black in book said its a park nutral input.
B. is ground.
C. ?
D. Is pink. Ignition 1
E. Yellow. Larger then other wires.
F. Back up lamp feed
G. Purple. Fused crank.
I also have a brown wire going to the round trany plug. Says ign 3 fused it is spliced one end went to trany plug other to ? And one to the big grey plug that was for caddy it was in socet N7.

------------------
1986 fiero 4.9l

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The 84 wiring has one less fused power lead to the engine. You will have to run all the injectors on one fuse. I suppose you could get away with using the switched power to the ECM to also run the AT, EGR solenoid, EVAP solenoid. The ECM doesn't take it's power from the switched lead but instead from the constant +12 leads. It only looks at the switched +12 as an input to turn on the ECM.

I've always ran a power relay on the 84s.

On the 84 I did I just ran an extra wire from the fuse block for the extra bank of injectors since the space was already there.
Dave_m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used most of your thread to do the wiring (micky) I am going to run 2 wires from fuse panel both of my injector fuse places are not there. So i am not sure where it was geting the power in the first place.

------------------
1986 fiero 4.9l

[This message has been edited by Dave_m (edited 06-12-2014).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave_m:

I used most of your thread to do the wiring (micky) I am going to run 2 wires from fuse panel both of my injector fuse places are not there. So i am not sure where it was geting the power in the first place.

All I did was pull the pins out of another fuse block and installed them into the 84 block (don't remember if they came from another Fiero fuse block or other car). Added the necessary wiring to back of the fuse block and ran wires to the back (IIRC correctly and after you mentioned it, I did run 2 wires - 1 for injector bank 2 and 1 for power I seem to recall) and plugged in the fuse. Kind of odd that it doesn't have at least 1 injector fuse already...
Dave_m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave_mSend a Private Message to Dave_mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am still having problems with the wiring on the trany.
I Was able to find that the pink wire and light green are but what about the rest.

I think the problem is the harness is from a 1984 but it was a standard not a auto.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave_m:

The wires for the switch are not adding up to what you had told me.
A red with black in book said its a park nutral input.
B. is ground.
C. ?
D. Is pink. Ignition 1
E. Yellow. Larger then other wires.
F. Back up lamp feed
G. Purple. Fused crank.
I also have a brown wire going to the round trany plug. Says ign 3 fused it is spliced one end went to trany plug other to ? And one to the big grey plug that was for caddy it was in socet N7.

What Lt. Green wire?
Is the Brown wire going to the round tranny plug Pin E? If so that connects to switched power.

Is your Purple wire thick?
Can you shoot a pic of your switch?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay