Air intake problem. help!! by 88formulafastback
Started on: 06-08-2014 12:52 PM
Replies: 10 (488 views)
Last post by: 88formulafastback on 06-13-2014 07:12 PM
88formulafastback

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulafastbackSend a Private Message to 88formulafastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://images2.snapfish.com...3A%3B85%3B4253ot1lsi

http://images2.snapfish.com...3A%3B85%3B8253ot1lsi

So, as you can see above, this strange cap in the side of my mass air intake has torn off the hose. This of course throws the cars idle way off. At first I thought this would be a fairly easy (and cheap) thing to replace so I called my local Advance Auto Parts and its apparently in "the grey area" which means its no longer carried, so I try a GM dealer, same answer. Then I begin calling junk yards, also no luck. So, I'm open to any advice you guys may have as far as fixing or replacing the part as I'm sure someone has already encountered this problem. I'm not a big fan of jury rigging things but maybe there is some sort of apoxy or caulking that would hold up against the heat? Or someone that has an intact one for sale?

[This message has been edited by 88formulafastback (edited 06-09-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formulafastback:

So, as you can see above

Actually, I can't see.
88formulafastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulafastbackSend a Private Message to 88formulafastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that fixed it.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one in good shape. PM sent.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That piece that is separating from the air intake hose is the front side PCV hose connect point, and since it is integral of the actual air intake hose (it's not a separate piece) you will need to buy an entire air intake hose from another Fiero. You cannot buy the hose new from anywhere else, including parts stores or GM suppliers.

If you can't or do not want to buy one from here, you're in Alabama so you're pretty close to the Fiero Factory who will have dozens upon dozens of these.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 06-09-2014).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one in tip top shape....cost, is shipping only.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock V6 shouldn't care about air leak before the TB and does not use mass flow system.
Maybe can throw off MAT sensor. MAT error would make engine to run lean/rich. If bad enough would set DTC 44 or 45.

Messing w/ idle then likely have air cleaner or cold air plumbing w/ problems.

oil problem there will eat plastic.
You likely have bad PCV, blow by from valve seals and/or rings.

likely have engine/trans mount issues cause plastic tube above to move more and tearing it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

88formulafastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulafastbackSend a Private Message to 88formulafastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I did find a replacement part so at least that one issue should get corrected. And I am aware of my proximity to the Fiero Factory, but as someone who has dealt with them overtime Its my personal preference of only considering them an option when everything else has failed. I have my reasons. I'll leave you guys a positive rating.
88formulafastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulafastbackSend a Private Message to 88formulafastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

88formulafastback

18 posts
Member since Dec 2013
Ogre

First off, big fan of yours. Some of what you said got me thinking though. Let me note that the engine isn't necessarily stock, for the fiero anyway. Its a pushrod 3.4, though the rest of the engine is virtually identical to the 2.8 to my understanding. Has the original red upper intake and valve covers on it. That being said, the idle issue was what got me looking around, so naturally, I assumed I had found my problem. I will try replacing the pvc valve, probably on the same day I change out the air intake. Also, I've double checked the mounts and everything appears to in good order and I'm not getting any DTC warnings.. so I'm kinda stumped. You (or anyone else) has any other thoughts I'll defiantly look into it. I gotta keep my baby running right.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you have the intake snorkel removed for replacement,. start the engine and spray all around the throttle plate with some carb cleaner. Spray little spritzes into the port in the bottom lip of the throttle body to clean the idle air passage. If you have a lot of blow-by due to a worn engine or clogged PCV valve in the trunk side valve cover, lots of oil vapor can be pulled into the intake.

With all respect for Ogre, the metal tube you show that enters the intake snorkel will not tear that nipple loose due to bad engine mounts. That tube is mounted to the engine on one end where it snaps into the forward valve cover breather grommet. It may or may not be bolted to the engine by it's mount, but it's anchored into the snorkel, so that it moves with the entire engine. When it's mounted to the engine, it can be difficult to remove the snorkel so that may be the reason for the tear. I like to bend the mounting leg and just let the valve cover grommet and the snorkel hold the tube in place. That way you can pop the tube out of the snorkel any time you want to remove it.
88formulafastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulafastbackSend a Private Message to 88formulafastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. And you may be correct about the mounts, as I said, all mine are connected and the nipple came off anyway. Though I'll take him at his word about it not effecting the idle problem, which means which means I'll a new problem to diagnose. I'll know more after I get the part shows up and I'm going to replace the PCV as recommended.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock