The "Pulsator" by notaguru
Started on: 06-08-2014 10:19 AM
Replies: 8 (297 views)
Last post by: Csjag on 06-08-2014 08:20 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageClick Here to Email notaguruSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'88GT
When the car quit running, I checked fuel pressure and saw it was close to zero.

We dropped the tank (ugh!) and pulled the pump/sensor assembly, and found that one of the squeeze plastic clamps had worked its way off of that thick, soft rubber, vibration-isolating hose. The pump itself is fine. By the way, the fuel level sender assembly is new - adapted from another car - and it works properly.

Checking online, it appears that on some cars there's a pulsator between the pump and the metal fuel line, designed to reduce fuel pressure pulses. NAPA says the pulsator is an obsolete part that is no longer stocked - but I found them for sale online.

QUESTIONS
Is there a reason to find a pulsator, or should I just use that same hose?
Should I re-use the plastic clamps (they look ok), or find stainless?
Any other hints to help me avoid ever removing the tank again?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dorman PN 55160. Any Auto Parts stores should have them.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTClick Here to Email LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what it is worth, mine was removed years ago when I had to replace the pump and I have had no problems since.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagClick Here to Email CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I replaced my fuel pump with a Bosch rotary pump I tossed the pulsator with no adverse affect whatsoever. I guess if you don't have a rotary fuel pump it may be necessary.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use the hose, it must be submersible hose. If your hose was "big and soft", that means that it wasn't submersible.
But yes, the hose is all you need. Napa has submersible hose.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 320
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaClick Here to Email Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the pulsator was used when gyrator pumps were common. With todays turbine pumps there are no pulses to add to the noise and therefore they are not needed.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 443
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

the pulsator was used when gyrator pumps were common. With todays turbine pumps there are no pulses to add to the noise and therefore they are not needed.

Are we to assume then that all current replacement Fiero fuel pumps (both 2.5 and 2.8) are turbine pumps?

If not, when looking at them what physically distinguishes turbine from gyrator pumps?
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageClick Here to Email notaguruSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK - kept the fat hose and used new stainless clamps to hold it on the fuel line and the pump output. Fingers crossed!

What a PITA to get the tank out and then back into the car! I really hope this fix works.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagClick Here to Email CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good luck, I hope it works, I have dropped the tank 3 times on my 2m4 and once on my GT, I know what you mean

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock