Started on: 06-07-2014 12:13 PM
Replies: 7 (787 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 06-08-2014 06:15 AM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is running bad and shows check engine lite, but only has a code 12? Isn't that the Passed-Self test code? It will present 12, 12 , 12, and than repeat. I hope I my ECU didn't crap out? Someone make me feel stupid and point out whats wrong. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I can't make you feel stupid...but I have heard that some codes have trouble staying in the ECM memory. Maybe you should disconnect the ECM to clear it, and try again.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12 is the code that indicates the system is working. Whatever is causing your problem doesn't have a sensor to send a trouble code to the ECM. However, sometimes the Coolant Temperature Sensor will fail without setting a code. Usually you get a very rich exhaust smell with this situation. I don't ever recall hearing of one failing and causing a lean burn.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

12 is the code that indicates the system is working. Whatever is causing your problem doesn't have a sensor to send a trouble code to the ECM. However, sometimes the Coolant Temperature Sensor will fail without setting a code. Usually you get a very rich exhaust smell with this situation. I don't ever recall hearing of one failing and causing a lean burn.

Damn, that's what I what I thought -good self test. Nuts. I'll check the coolant sensor and clear the ECU. The damn thing was running great, even with the stock chip and all major the mods. I jacked up to dump the break-in oil and put new oil, and tighten an exhaust leak. And now this, dang I almost ready for the dyno for chip burn. Always sumthing.
Thanks guys.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FLASHING check engine light? = ECM problems.

If it is flashing key on engine running.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

HMM.. I'LL HAVE TO LOOK AGAIN, THANKS.

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

FLASHING check engine light? = ECM problems.

If it is flashing key on engine running.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The code 12 actually means "no ignition reference signal". It's normal to get that code when checking for trouble codes (while the engine is off), because the ignition system isn't firing (i.e. the distributer isn't turning). If you get that code while the engine is running, it means the ECM isn't getting a reference signal from the distributer. And thus, the ECM can't control the ignition timing, which would explain why the engine runs crappy.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But he said 12 12 12 , meaning he is reading the flashes. IE jumpered and no scanner.
When you jumper to check codes it always flashes code 12. What you need is a scan tool/cable/laptop. if the Check Engine Light is on when running you have a problem. You would need to scan it to see the code as it is there and not setting for whatever reason. if it is flashing fast and NOT jumpered while key on, you have a bad chip or ECM.
But don't dyno with the light on, depending on the code it may be in "limp home mode" may hurt the engine, but won't give you good dyno results.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock