'87 2.5 into an '84 by raysr11
Started on: 06-03-2014 12:29 PM
Replies: 5 (260 views)
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 06-08-2014 06:01 AM
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will an '87 2.5 fit in an '84? What needs to be changed?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes

You will need to re-work the harness and use the 87 ECM, DIS but modified to work with the 84 body harness.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced an '86 2.5L with an '87 2.5L; the fuel lines to the TBI are on opposite sides; swap the water pump outlet casing from the '84 to the '87 to keep the heater hose connection; you'll need the '87 accelerator cable right from the gas pedal; the '86 harness connections plugged right into the '87 ECM except on the side instead of the bottom so get the '87 mounting bracket (the '84 may be different). I'll add more if I think of more...

Added: Vacuum lines will need adapting including the line to the power brake (Easy, but on the list). I think that's the extent of issues other than the wiring differences that Phonedawgz is your go to guy for... I have an '84 as well & nothing else came to mind when I was looking at it and the '87 2.5L in the '86.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 06-03-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 body harness has C500 in a different location and wires different on both C500 and C203. So you will have to modify the engine harness to fit the 84 body harness, or modify the 84 body harness to match the 87 engine harness.

Since you will have both engine harnesses out of the car, my thoughts are that modding the engine harness will be easier.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this exact swap. (I will be doing a write up soon) You would be suprised at all that is neede to change. Just wow.
Doing the swap I found out at how many things on the 84 are different. and had to be changed
(This is no where near a complete list) (to do the swap)
Throttle cable
Harness
Dash/gauges wireing
oil pressure switch
heater lines
A/C lines
shifter
shift cables
ECM
C500 location
Backup light switch location and switch itself
Air box, (have to cut the frame to fit a later year)

So it WILL fit and work, as proof there is one driving around Vegas now, but it is not plug and play.
(A write up will be coming)

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock