3.8 S/C warmed up issue by NightMare Cruiser
Started on: 06-03-2014 03:33 AM
Replies: 13 (327 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 06-25-2014 05:55 PM
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping you guys can help me out with an issue I'm having.

I have a 1987 Fiero with a 2002 3.8 SC (45k) engine. It has a pretty open exhaust on it. No cat, 2.5 down pipe, y-pipe to two HI Flow mufflers and tips. From begging to end the exhaust might be 4ft. No (real) bottle neck the smallest part is about 4inches long and measures just over 2.25 inches. Nothing like the factory bottle neck on the GP. 180 thermo. Cold air intake. I replaced my plugs with the NGK TR6 gapped .45. Recently A issue came up. When the car is cold / not warmed up, I can floor it and it goes like a bat out of hell. Once warmed up and I floor it, it falls on it's face. Goes great at 3/4 throttle. However at a light / stopped and I floor it it bucks and sounds horrible. Any ideas? Gas? ECM? Exhaust?

I put in a new MAF and that didn't do anything.

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!
http://s1277.beta.photobuck...50016365924013387734

After all the work, It's time to drive it!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
coil pack or ignition module breaking down, could be fuel issue... I would first look into the ignition..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I scanned for codes and nothing came up.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:

I scanned for codes and nothing came up.

Post up a file of ur data log...Easiest way for everyone to see whats going on...
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Post up a file of ur data log...Easiest way for everyone to see whats going on...

I guess I should red the book to learn how to do this.

Bahrbarian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BahrbarianSend a Private Message to BahrbarianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe check your coolant temp sensor. Actually unplug it and see if your terminals are corroded. I'm not sure what the resistance value should be when warm, but I'm wondering if a bad sensor or bad connection may be fooling your ECM into thinking the engine is cold all the time and flooding it out when it gets warmed up. Just my guess...
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll check out the coolant sensor. Only thing last year when I did the sap I forgot to re-install the thermostat and the car an great. Even when I did put the thermo in the car ran great. This issue just started happening. Today I replaced all three Ignition coils. And it still acted up. guess my next thing is to check the plug gap.
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
99% sure it's the plug wires. Look very carefully at the plug boot ends. Scanning it with something like the torque App will tell you exactly what cylinder is misfiring.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 F23 5spd spec5
10.91@133.1

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 06-09-2014).]

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

99% sure it's the plug wires. Look very carefully at the plug boot ends. Scanning it with something like the torque App will tell you exactly what cylinder is misfiring.

Torque app?? whats that??

------------------
It's a CAR, now drive it!!
http://s1277.beta.photobuck...50016365924013387734

After all the work, It's time to drive it!!

NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New Plug wires today. Still acting up. Next will be to replace the ICM.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mine was similiar and my problem was the ICM. fixed it right up. I've read on one of these threads that even too wide a spark plug gap will cause a ICM to fail. my plugs were all over .70.
PFF
System Bot
NightMare Cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ICM!! replaced it and it runs like a RAPED APE!!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Post up a file of ur data log...Easiest way for everyone to see whats going on... " keep seeing that. HOW is that "DONE"
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NightMare Cruiser:
Torque app?? whats that??

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/127485.html

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors