Started on: 06-02-2014 08:50 AM
Replies: 8 (176 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 06-03-2014 01:14 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clear-coat over flat black primer; I think I get the look I want but I don't know about the long term; will the clear peel easily? BTW, I'm not talking about spray cans.
Thanks

------------------
http://i16.photobucket.com/...ancis44/100_1147.jpg
[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/francis4
4/000_0451-1.jpg[/IMG]
trueleo.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you'll end up with a dark grey gloss paintjob. Better off shooting black base coat if you want black (or grey metallic if you want grey), & if you want a "sheen" (not a full gloss) you can get clear that is semi-gloss. Word of caution, though: you can't buff out any trash/dirt that you get in the clear.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much with Driver. Black basecoat alone has a nice look with no clear, but it wont withstand weather. You can buy clearcoat in various degrees of gloss to put over it. Also like he said, you cant sand or buff it after or it becomes gloss black. You can wax or polish satin or flat clearcoat, but whats the point. Ive never done it or had a reason to try it, but I would guess you cant just put clearcoat over any primer.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gray huh, thanks guys. I've got some black primer and clear, suppose I'll have to give it try.
What are the pros using to get those semi flat black finishes; something other than basecoat/clearcoat?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Black base with semi-flat clear, or black PPG DP epoxy primer (no clear). Either will hold up to weather really well. Other primers will not hold up.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Black base with semi-flat clear, or black PPG DP epoxy primer (no clear). Either will hold up to weather really well. Other primers will not hold up.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Thanks, I'll check it out, BTW this what it looked like back January before my black base coat started to lift from the primer I probably let the shop get too cold that night. Now it's blistering all over. Since I had wanted to do it matt black, I think I'll give it try, have to strip down to bare and redo anyway..
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Thanks, I'll check it out, BTW this what it looked like back January before my black base coat started to lift from the primer I probably let the shop get too cold that night. Now it's blistering all over. Since I had wanted to do it matt black, I think I'll give it try, have to strip down to bare and redo anyway..
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:

Sharp looking car. Black & silver with a red accent always looks good. Love the way you have a thin black line under the red molding.
Bet you used lacquer primer... Since you have to strip it anyway, go with the DP epoxy primer & you won't have that problem. If you have a good smooth surface, you don't even have to sand the epoxy if you shoot it soon after priming (read the tech sheet). If it's not completely smooth, give the epoxy 3 or 4 days to cure a little & wet sand it with 400.
I'd stick with a gloss clear & the same paintjob. Looks too good to try a semi-flat experiment.
That's my hood vent, right? Can you send or post some pics of it so I can put them on my website? Plan to update that website one of these days...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 06-03-2014).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do all the old muscle car hoods, Mopars, Fords, etc with black basecoat either Ford UA or GM 8555 black. Then I put either a flat or satin clear over it. Better than OEM on them because you can wax or polish the car without masking the hood edges like you used to have to do. Wax or polish on old OEM flat black hoods ruined them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock