Hard shifting and Alt/voltage by Ducati 916
Started on: 06-02-2014 08:03 AM
Replies: 9 (183 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 06-03-2014 10:13 AM
Ducati 916

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati 916Click Here to Email Ducati 916Send a Private Message to Ducati 916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. 1st Ive got a shifting issue. At times it is hard to get into anygear, and reverse sometimes needs to be slipped into 1st before attempting reverse or it will grind. The other gears are just plain hard to get into gear. While moving it is much easier..any idea what the issue is/could be? Next I just replaced the alternator in the car, seems to charge ok but on 1st start up the volt meter swings to the left for about 10/20 seconds then swings the other way. Not sure where to start on this one.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worn out clutches will either slip or be harder to get into gear. (or both).
If you can pump the pedal quickly and the situation improves, there is air in your hydraulics.

Your alternator has a regulator in it that is taking it's time taking over from the battery. What is the VOLTS light doing during that time?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-02-2014).]

Ducati 916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati 916Click Here to Email Ducati 916Send a Private Message to Ducati 916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
no slippage on the clutch side at all..as far as the volt guage pretty much close to being pegged on discharged for a few seconds
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have the center console GT gauges? There is a light in with that volts gauge....is it on?
Ducati 916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati 916Click Here to Email Ducati 916Send a Private Message to Ducati 916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Do you have the center console GT gauges? There is a light in with that volts gauge....is it on?

I did not know it had a light inside other than when you turn on the lights. I have not noticed a light on
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Strange as it may seem, that light is part of the sensing circuit that tells the alternator to charge the battery. If you fix that bulb, I think the voltage issues will be fixed. Key on - engine off, there is a red indicator light where it says VOLTS.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-02-2014).]

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanClick Here to Email uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
immediately order Rodney Dickman clutch slave dual piston!! 90% of Fiero cutch problems are related to the clutch slave piston because it is a single seal piston ,, you can go to V8 archie site & follow the directions to bleed the clutch ,but the dickman dual
seal piston is cheap & solved so many Fiero clutch problems ,,plus the dual seal piston is easy to bleed
check your slave bore to make sure it is not pitted,, the dual seal piston will overcome many slave bore flaws !!
you can use a bundled cloth surrounded with light wet sand paper to clean the bore of some flaws,

every fiero should have the dual seal piston, or one of Rodneys new clutch slave units ..'cheap 'to save your transmission..

make sure the small negative cable comming from the battery has a excellent connection clean panel ,clean fitting , install thicker
bolt with clean bright surface ,install extra engine to frame nagative cable
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you go into such depth on your slave cylinder have you simply changed the trans fluid?

My shifter sometimes slipped into 1st instead of reverse and was hard to get into 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I changed the fluid (today) and It's a noticeable difference, especially with syncromesh.
My reverse grinds as well but just go from second and throw it into reverse.

With your meter, your gauge could just be faulty? Does it do this when you have the key in the ignition without the car running?

------------------
The wetter the better

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 06-03-2014).]

Ducati 916

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati 916Click Here to Email Ducati 916Send a Private Message to Ducati 916Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Before you go into such depth on your slave cylinder have you simply changed the trans fluid?

My shifter sometimes slipped into 1st instead of reverse and was hard to get into 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I changed the fluid (today) and It's a noticeable difference, especially with syncromesh.
My reverse grinds as well but just go from second and throw it into reverse.

With your meter, your gauge could just be faulty? Does it do this when you have the key in the ignition without the car running?

have not changed the trans oil yet will do that as it most likely needs to be done anyway car has 193K on it. As far as the light this seems to be intermiting.. light was on last night when I started the car but the day before it took like 10seconds to come on then the car was chargeing...is there issues with that light shorting out somewhere???
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The light is supposed to be off when the alternator is working. It should shine when the battery is providing power and the engine is off. It sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere in that circuit....not a short.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock