3800 turbo guys need some help by yellow fever
Started on: 06-01-2014 02:53 PM
Replies: 8 (290 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 06-02-2014 06:16 PM
yellow fever

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow feverSend a Private Message to yellow feverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay guys I took off my SC a year and a half ago and put on a turbo. We have been trying to tune it for awhile now but kept running into problems. I finally took it to a dyno last weekend, turns out he found the same problem. Around 5800-6100 rpm he said it will misfire and cut fuel. He thought maby a ground issue or crankshaft sensor.When we got home we checked the wires going from the icm to the pcm and icm to the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor. Everything seemed to ohm out fine. Replaced the crankshaft sensor and put on more grounds. No change. The only thing I changed was moving the icm and coil packs off the engine besides the turbo stuff obviously.It never did this SC. It pulled all the way to 7000 SC. Anyone have any ideas. It doesn't set a misfire code. Not sure what to do with it now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you do a crank case relearn? If you ever remove the balancer pulley and/or the crank sensor this is a requirement. It made a big difference in my 3800SC that I was having problems tuning. This sensor detects misfire and if it isn't 100% in sync it will throw faulty readings to the PCM.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
another possibility is the ICM could be failing.
yellow fever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow feverSend a Private Message to yellow feverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting to sound like I'm maxing out my maf senser. I'm using a Lq4 maf before the tb after the turbo. Sounds like I have to put a mini afc on it. Seems so weird at 7# of boost to maxing out the maf. A friend of mine is pushing 14# with a stock maf on his GP with no problems. Guess I should have left the stock one in.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you update the MAF table in the tune for the LQ4 MAF?
yellow fever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellow feverSend a Private Message to yellow feverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. We put the ones in it that are on the zzp website. And when the tuner at the dyno shop tuned it, he also adjusted it. Thats what doesn't make sense. I see a lot of people using this maf and I don't see anybody talking about their mini afc.
babyboy761

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for babyboy761Send a Private Message to babyboy761Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could it be spark blowout? What are your plugs gapped at?
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by babyboy761:

Could it be spark blowout? What are your plugs gapped at?

very good possibility, what are you running for an IC?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need a mini-afc to rescale the MAF. You can mod the MAF itself to rescale it by soldering on a resistor across the shortest bar and the middle long bar inside of it as shown the following picture. You can start with a 1.4k ohm, 1/2 watt value resistor and see how that works.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

You will need to rework your entire MAF calibration table in the PCM tune if you do the resistor mod to the MAF, so keep that in mind.

Concerning spark blow-out, I was using Denso Iridium plugs and could only run about 13psi of boost with a 0.055" gap before experiencing spark blow-out. Dropped the gap to 0.040" and ran it up to 18 psi recently without having any problems. Other brands / cheaper grade plugs may produce different results vs. what gap you run them at.

-ryan
------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 06-11-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave