Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  A/C And blower relay wiring mess - help?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A/C And blower relay wiring mess - help? by Mantioch
Started on: 06-01-2014 12:02 PM
Replies: 3 (242 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 06-02-2014 06:29 PM
Mantioch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 SE / V6 / 4 speed

My Fiero is a hot mess electrically. It's like one of the POs decided to re-wire the whole car... Here's what's going on - I tried searching first, but I honestly cannot read wiring diagrams well enough to not jack something up worse. I was wondering if someone could provide a picture of what the A/C power and blower relay wiring is *supposed* to look like.

It appears at some point there was a meltdown on one of the relays up front - I think it was the A/C power switch. I cannot tell how the wires are supposed to run now in order to put a new connector on. I also do not know what caused the original meltdown, so I'm a little scared to hook anything back up.

Original issue was that nothing would blow out of the vents on any setting and the doors would not actuate to divert the (nonexistent) air. However, the radiator fan turns on when the A/C button is pressed on the controls inside. I replaced a relay up front that I assumed was the high speed fan relay. Still nothing. I found a blown 10amp fuse going to the heater blower and replaced. That allowed the actuator doors to now move when I choose different settings on the control panel, but still no air blowing.

Here are the pics of the mess. Also, there is a random black wire running across from the driver's side to the passenger's side. No idea what this is. Sorry, I'm on my iPad so the links are all I have. Thanks for any and all help on this.

Melted mess

Melted mess again. Random black wire on bottom right

Source of random black wire. It is the black wire on top of the bundle
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jschmidt95

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jschmidt95Send a Private Message to jschmidt95Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my attempt to help

My system has never been modified, and I have the same Model/Year/Engine as you so here we go.

These are what I think you are dealing with, Mine have never been touched.

My first guess, just out of habit would be to check this guy. it's the old fashoned resistor for the blower and sometimes critters like to make nests in there. Also check that your PO hadn't changed the wiring going to it.

This is what the top of BOTH relays have on them, check to make sure you have the right ones.

This is the first (Passenger side) relay. as you can see, on the right there is a Thicker gauge brown wire, then on the left going from top to bottom is a thin(ish) black wire (Maybe your random wire), then a thicker gauge pink wire, then the thinner gauge brown wire.

And here is the driver's side. On the bottom right there is a heavy guage Pink wire, and on the left from top to bottom is a thin black wire, then a think purple wire, then a thin orange wire.

I figure at least seeing how a normal system is set up could help you tell what the PO changed. Good luck!

-John '86 SE V6 4 Spd.
Mantioch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MantiochSend a Private Message to MantiochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe this is perfect! thank you for the trouble you went to!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front wiring harness for the back of the front trunk is very easy to replace, the majority of Fieros share this harness.
Probably easier to replace than repair.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock