Water pump for 2.8 V6 by lateFormula
Started on: 06-01-2014 11:31 AM
Replies: 3 (1111 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 06-01-2014 02:42 PM
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the day is coming when I will have to replace the water pump on my Formula. When the car is driven at slow speeds and under light acceleration I hear a noise that sounds like marbles being shaken in a can. There is no evidence of any leaking anywhere on the pump, but I suspect the bearings are at the end of their life.

So here's my question: I looked up water pumps on Rock auto and of course there are many brands listed. There is a broad range of pricing on them starting at $11.50 for the cheapest, up to $133 for an AC Delco "professional". The AC Delco $133 pump is the only one listed as having a steel impeller, and I know that I should only buy one that has a steel impeller. But I am here to ask if anyone out there can recommend any other brands that you know also have a steel impeller. There is a Bosch pump listed (PN 98054) which caught my eye because it is not a remanufactured unit, they claim to be 100% new.

I have a couple of posts on this forum bookmarked which have the chart of water pump housing bolt sizes, locations, and torque specs. Anyone have any general tips from their own experience installing a replacement pump - such as any of the bolts to be careful with (ie bolt can be broken off when removing)?

Thanks everyone!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85 SE VIN 9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought the Bosch one, can't find it right now, didn't install it. I had terrible noises after having the harmonic balancer replaced. A Pep Boys service writer listened with a stethescope, concluded it was the water pump, so I bought this one for only $25 or so. I think I checked that it was a metal impeller, yes it says all new, and it came with a gasket, and even the tool to keep the timing cover from moving. I didn't get around to installing it. What I did was loosen the alternator pivot bolt, which is easy to reach, then hoped that would be enough to loosen the belt. The noise gradually went away, I tightened the bolt, and the noise remained but continued to self-correct. Then there was the day I hit the snow and tore the long brake line off. Then or at some point before the A/C belt came off again. I never heard a peep out of anything after that. The cooling system continued to leak as it had before, but now it's basically not leaking at all. The belt slips (no charging) when wet, but otherwise no further problems. Replacing the pump is a big, tricky job.

It's not clear that I actually loosened the belt at all. I couldn't see that the alternator moved, but the belt seems looser.

If you're going to replace the pump I would also replace the alternator bracket with the stronger TFS one and install a belt tensioner. So far loosening the belt a little has been more than adequate.
uhlanstan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many horror stories concerning rebuilt water pumps,if you want to do it once use the GM pump or the Fiero store
water pump.. the Fiero store pump is New,buy the thick gasket, this area is hard to clean ,avoid the use of a steel putty knife to remove the gaket, I warn you!!
do not get a cheap water pump from rock auto Or one of the major chain parts stores they have a very hi failure rate .a member of our local club had to replace the pump 3 times,, get a new one
buy quality & replace the timing chain also,, the timing chain is a neglected part on most high mile cars unless you have run Synthetic oil from the first oil change yes the water pump can be installed thru the wheel well
make sure you mark the balancer so you know if it separates
would like to hear from you if you installed a Fiero store pump properly...

[This message has been edited by uhlanstan (edited 06-01-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advance Auto Parts sells a very good one with a steel impeller. I've been running one for many years on my 87 and I put one on my 85 that I used to have. That's been probably 5 or 6 years ago and it's still going. I think it was $40 or less.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock