Started on: 06-01-2014 10:11 AM
Replies: 30 (2190 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 03-18-2015 01:54 AM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When redoing your wiring harnesses, you DO NOT want to use regular vinyl electrical tape.
With engine heat and vapors from oil and gas, it will dissolve into a sticky gooey mess.
When you unwrap it again, you'll be spending lots of time wiping down the wiring with a solvent soaked rag

TWO products you want to use.

Proper Wiring Harness Tape like the OEM stuff.
No adhesive, but has a nice “cling” as you wrap and stretch on harness.
Conforms very well to irregularities. Easy to work with. On Amazon and eBay - shop around.
http://www.amazon.com/Corve...=wiring+harness+tape

Your local auto restoration shop for Mustangs/Camaros etc. may have a roll on the wall.
I found it locally at The Mustang Shop - $7.50 for a 100' roll (NO ridiculous shipping charges to Canada YAY!)

Because the harness tape is not sticky, it will unravel with time unless you “lock down” the ends where you start and end the wrapping.
Use 3M Friction Tape #3407NA for this. It a black fabric tape like the OEM stuff you found when you unwrapped the harness.
Check Home Depot and Lowes (in Canada has it) for the product.
http://www.lowes.ca/electri...?linkloc=reCanonical

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-01-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great tip.

I use regular black loom myself for most jobs myself. Just easier to service if needed, nothing to unwrap.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Me too!

Usually the harness is taped to hold it together, then black loom slipped over it.
Then they use friction tape at the loom ends and junctions.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That gooey mess left by sticky electrical tape ....

I like to use shrink wrap at the loom ends shrunk on the wire and over the end of the loom itself....

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I use regular black loom myself for most jobs myself. Just easier to service if needed, nothing to unwrap.

True for harnesses in the engine bay. All the interior harnesses under the dash and console are just taped with harness tape.

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering what they used for the looms, seeing as how I have an Amazon Prime account I'll probably just order it.I'm gonna need a few rolls, gonna be redoing the harness for my 350 swap.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-11-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having just torn apart an engine harness out of a 2009 GM truck, I can tell you the tape used to hold the harness together is definitely sticky.

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I design harnesses everyday, the tape is definitely sticky on one side The quality of the tape just varies wildly depending on the source.

GM and many other manufacturers are currently using a few brands, the more common ones are Nitto Denko and Tesa. The type of tape varies based on location in the car, need for high temperature environment, noise reduction, abrasion resistance, etc. I can get an exact part number tomorrow for black vinyl tape, I have a few rolls in my desk at work. It's MUCH nicer than anything you can buy in an auto parts store.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
General purpose black vinyl tape (good to 80 Celsius) - Nitto Denko 2119TV

Engine harness tape -

Nitto Denko 2239FR
Coroplast 512
Great Lakes Tape 4049 EX
White 84 SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for White 84 SESend a Private Message to White 84 SEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I think it would be cool to swap to red loom and this info is helpful for that future project.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just used electric tape. Yes, it gets sticky... but I don't plan on being it there very often...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MulletproofMonk:

I just used electric tape. Yes, it gets sticky... but I don't plan on being it there very often...

No one ever does. But you WILL be cursing when you have to.

Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fierosound:

When redoing your wiring harnesses, you DO NOT want to use regular vinyl electrical tape.
With engine heat and vapors from oil and gas, it will dissolve into a sticky gooey mess.

Nice post fierosound,
I had figured out the wire loom for the engine bay needed to be High Temp. but hadn't considered the tape?
So I rewrapped mine before I installed the cradle assembly.

I was serching youtube to find something on how to tie off the ends of the non adhesive tape ,but couldn't find anything, I found this though.
Looks a little unsafe though?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehjltOq-jc

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this, which is how modern harnesses are made, shows a little taping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpidle-vT9I

This one too, shows taping at 1:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxGcMAiQgk
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I found this, which is how modern harnesses are made, shows a little taping:

Thank You RWDPLZ,
Those are some complicated looking wiring fixtures/jigs, or what ever there called!!
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great post! I've always used regular electrical tape in the past, and have always cursed when it degrades. I'll be switching for sure!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use "snake skin" and heat shrink on the ends.
Only issue is when you have a off shoot wire that needs to go a different way.
Fieroking

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2014 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh boy wish i knew before i did mine i could unwrap it then do it all over
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

General purpose black vinyl tape (good to 80 Celsius) - Nitto Denko 2119TV

Engine harness tape -

Nitto Denko 2239FR
Coroplast 512
Great Lakes Tape 4049 EX

Have you got any suggestions where to buy some of those Nitto Denko harness tapes you mentioned? I did some digging and didn't come up with anything that looked viable.
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just sent them an email, I'll let you know if I hear back.

Another potential option is Elliot Tapes. ET1090 or similar.

There's a guy on eBay selling some Elliott tapes, I've never done business with him, though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ell...?hash=item19e0acfc47

Lots of Coroplast tapes on eBay, too.

TESA makes real nice stuff, though more cloth and abrasion tapes for interior use

http://www.tesatape.com/ind...tems/wire_harnessing

You can also try contacting the companies directly and asking for a sample.
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found another good taping video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdiuCQkg58
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for looking into it. Let me know what you turn up.

I did find Nitto Denko's website and searched around a bunch, but was not able to find any reference to either of the part numbers you listed above. Are those numbers off the roll core? Maybe they've changed their part numbers since those rolls got buried in your desk?

I found the rest of the companies on-line as well, but it seems they're all geared up to sell to large manufacturers (like auto producers) and not onesie-twosie retail consumers like me. Makes sense, but usually there's an outlet for that kind of situation. I've just not turned it up.

Anyway, thanks again. I appreciate the help.
FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FTF Engineering

710 posts
Member since Sep 2001
fierosound and Jims88,

So a question for you guys that used that used the Corvette Wire Harness Tape... Is it completely devoid of adhesive? No sticky at all on either side?

I understand that it will cling to itself reasonably well when you stretch it onto a harness as you wrap it, but what happens in a few days? Can you peel it off as easily as you put it on?

I've got a harness I want to wrap and the original tape came off pretty easily, even after 40 years. Since the old stuff came off so easy, I'm not sure if it ever had adhesive, or if it did but it has all dried up and turned to dust since it's so old. The old stuff seemed to work well and I'd like to recreate that if possible.
hobbywrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hobbywrenchSend a Private Message to hobbywrenchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now for something different...The branched portion of the harness which is suspended via metal clip , adjacent to the back cylinders of the 2.8 , looked frightful and the wires were exposed. I cleaned the wiring carefully with a white rag and solvent, then alcohol and wrapped that branch with a silver tape purchased at NAPA. It feels metallic and is quite sticky . The fix was made about 8 years ago andI have been pleased with strength and protection. Be careful if you go this route . It is not the silver colored "duck" tape. I think I have seen this tape in H Depot. It is about $10 per roll. Yes, I imagine it is not a good selection for future removal, but worked well in this application IMO.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The harnesses in the engine bay and under the front of the car are covered with wire loom.
This non-sticky tape is clingy and is intended for the harnesses inside the interior under the dash etc.
The tape will unravel - which is why you need the friction tape at the ends where you wrapped the harness to stop this.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-13-2015).]

Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FTF Engineering:

fierosound and Jims88,

So a question for you guys that used that used the Corvette Wire Harness Tape... Is it completely devoid of adhesive? No sticky at all on either side?

I understand that it will cling to itself reasonably well when you stretch it onto a harness as you wrap it, but what happens in a few days? Can you peel it off as easily as you put it on?

I've got a harness I want to wrap and the original tape came off pretty easily, even after 40 years. Since the old stuff came off so easy, I'm not sure if it ever had adhesive, or if it did but it has all dried up and turned to dust since it's so old. The old stuff seemed to work well and I'd like to recreate that if possible.

The Corvette tape was sticky on one side, similar to electric tape when I used it.
I would stretch and pull it as you suggested and it hasn't unraveled on me.... yet.
I recently had to strip a portion of my harness and the Corvette tape stuck well, I had to use the utility knife a few times to speed up the removal process.

I used tie-straps and 3M 88 tape on the ends of runs, Somewhere I think I read where Fieroguru suggested heat shrink tube, to finish off the ends.
After fussing with removing the corvette tape I didn't bother with any thing special, except a couple of extra wraps on the loom ends.
I may regret it latter
Jims88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jims88

268 posts
Member since Jul 2011

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Found another good taping video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDdiuCQkg58

That was interesting how they would wrap the harness in a forward direction, then back wrap over the gaps.
I think my wrist joints would fail, doing that for 8 hours a day!

Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I just sent them an email, I'll let you know if I hear back.

Another potential option is Elliot Tapes. ET1090 or similar.

There's a guy on eBay selling some Elliott tapes, I've never done business with him, though.

[URL=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elliott-Tape-ETN1000E-PVC-Tape-Factory-Wire-Harness-Wrap-OEM-/111143615559?hash=item19e0acfc47]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ell...?hash=item19e0acfc47[/U

I ordered from this auction when I saw this post. It came in the morning mail, tape looks good, and good service

FTF Engineering

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FTF EngineeringSend a Private Message to FTF EngineeringEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the help guys. I'm going to order some of the non-sticky stuff and see how it turns out.

Originally posted by Jims88:
I think my wrist joints would fail, doing that for 8 hours a day!

In my web searching, I saw a couple references to "light" or "easy" release when being pulled off the roll with the intention of reducing or preventing carpel tunnel issues. It's not just you!
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never did hear back from them. The rolls are also long gone, I asked the guy who sits where my old desk was in Michigan, and he said they had cleaned it out and sent the remainder back to the factory.

The part numbers may be older ones. They came in a box of 100 rolls, we had used them for reworking some prototypes about a year ago.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock