Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Oil leak, upper front of 2.8 engine, Valve cover?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Oil leak, upper front of 2.8 engine, Valve cover? by Fformula88
Started on: 05-31-2014 05:25 PM
Replies: 8 (578 views)
Last post by: MulletproofMonk on 06-01-2014 01:29 PM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently started smelling a burn smell while driving. Was able to trace it to oil dripping onto my exhaust just beyond the Cat converter. Obviously, this is not too good (considering what this means for Fieros).

Reading up in the manual on valve cover replacement, it looks rather involved with removal of a lot of stuff. Are there any tricks or steps which might simplify the process any? Or am I stuck with removing the intake and all the corresponding stuff on and around it to access the rear valve cover?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it isn't the distributor? They are more likely to leak than the valve covers.

When you say "front" do you mean the side closest to the front bumper or the side that is easily visible when you pop the deck lid?

Some other places oil might be coming from are the front and rear main seals, the oil pressure sensor tube, the oil filter, and the camshaft cover above the front main seal. Leaks from the trans including the axle seals can appear to be oil depending on how dirty the fluid is.
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front is forward facing, so the firewall side. Passenger side of the car. Not the distributor.

Did some more investigating, I think it is definitely on the end of the engine where the timing chain is. The front (facing front of car) of the water pump and surrounding area is soaked (approximately where the water outlet is on the timing chain cover, and surrounding area). It is not the valve cover, as that seems reasonably dry. Also, it does not appear to being flung anywhere by the pulleys.

This is starting to point towards the front main seal I think except I think it is coming from significantly higher than the front main...

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 05-31-2014).]

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
where is the oil pressure sender, could that be the culprit?
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

where is the oil pressure sender, could that be the culprit?

A good thought, but it is pretty dry too.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you recently changed to synthetic oil?
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Have you recently changed to synthetic oil?

Nope. Car has been under my care since 2001, no changes to type of oil.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am stumped, but at the recommendation of another forum member I used a product called auto-rx. I had leaking axle seals and it cleaned and conditioned the seals and within 500 miles they had stopped leaking. Might be worth a try to avoid tearing the engine apart. Go to auto-rx.com and read up about it. I know a lot of these additives are junk but this one worked for me. I have no affiliation with the company, just stating my personal experience.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spray the (cool) engine off with soapy water in the offending areas.
Get a UV dye kit. Add some UV dye to the oil and runengine. Then use th UV light and glasses to pin point the leak.
I used this method on a couple of my cars.

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

Isn't it strange that after a bombing, everyone blames the bomber, his upbringing, his environment, his culture, his mental state but … after a shooting, the problem is the gun?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock