Steering column by Knight
Started on: 05-31-2014 01:24 PM
Replies: 6 (895 views)
Last post by: LZeitgeist on 06-03-2014 10:38 AM
Knight

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know of a steering column from another car that would work? Trying to avoid digging into the steering column to fix the phantom wipe and spending $100 plus for a new switch.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero steering column is made by GM's Saginaw plant. While it uses many other components common on 80's era GM columns, it's length is unique for the Fiero. Any sort of adapting of another GM Saginaw column would likely require the same disassembly as if you were to dig into it for common repairs.

As a random off the wall but kinda related note; This is also one of the big "headaches" of kit and replica car builders. Even really good builds often have to deal with the Fiero Saginaw steering column, which tends to stand out.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

As a random off the wall but kinda related note; This is also one of the big "headaches" of kit and replica car builders. Even really good builds often have to deal with the Fiero Saginaw steering column, which tends to stand out.

Yep. I'm starting to see this issue posted by guys building the lambo replicas - i hear it goes the whole way back to some of the countach kits . I don't think i've EVER heard or seen anyone use another steering column, although i'd really like to have a cadillac one that tilts and telescopes electronically .

Originally posted by Knight:

Anybody know of a steering column from another car that would work? Trying to avoid digging into the steering column to fix the phantom wipe and spending $100 plus for a new switch.

When the bolts came lose in my column in the past, i looked in the Yellow pages and found someone who rebuilds GM steering columns. Around here it's pretty common. There are even guys that set up stands in the parking lots at the scrap yards (if you wanna trust them ). Last guy a few years ago came to my apt., charged me $100 labor and replaced any parts i gave him while he dug through the whole thing - only took him about half an hour.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-01-2014).]

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2014 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. And crap...nother project for my car.
slicknick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slicknickSend a Private Message to slicknickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's probably because it's one of the best saginaw columns out there. I don't think there are many that don't go all the way to the firewall, and it is just a huge pain to pull those full length ones out and mess with them.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Murci kits can use a Sebring/ eclipse column. Which is what I am going to use in mine with c5 dash. Also someone else here used a grand am column with their dash swap. But with factory dash I don't think there's much option

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 06-03-2014).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure how far you've gone in troubleshooting your phantom wipe problem, but my phantom wipe problem was solved by replacing the circuitboard in the control box in the front compartment at the base of the windshield. Your mileage may vary, but it was a simpler fix than digging into the column, that's for sure.

Good luck!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave