Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is there any adjustment that can be made with the door hinges?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there any adjustment that can be made with the door hinges? by Gokart
Started on: 05-31-2014 12:54 PM
Replies: 4 (355 views)
Last post by: Gokart on 05-31-2014 06:33 PM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced both of my drivers side door hinges with a refurbished set, new pins & Rodney's roller kit in hopes it would take the sag out of my door. It still sags and is actually a little worse than it was before! It slightly scrapes the top of the rocker panel. I'm curious if there's any play with the hinges? If I loosen the bolts and jack up the door and re-tighten would this make a difference?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my driver's side door off too when I rebuilt my regulators and also replaced the door hinge pins. As I recall (always dangerous) I was able to lift the door at the rear (latch side) by using a block of wood and floor jack. Obviously, I didn't apply much lift (would bend the door), but by lifting the door and then tightening the hinge bolts it was easier to get a proper fit. I just checked the service manual and it is sadly lacking in a procedure for the door adjustments. I think that if you try the jack method that may work for you. If that doesn't provide enough lift then you may need to consider removing the door hinges and slotting the bolt holes to gain more adjustment. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about heating up and adjusting the striker bolt instead?
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Adjusting the door:
1) Remove the striker on the body.
2) Check the front up & down alignment - loosen both hinges to move it up or down to line up with the fender. Once this is good, loosen only one hinge at a time for the rest of the adjustments.
3) Once the front vertical is correct, close the door & check the rear vertical alignment.
4) If it sags (is too low): If the gap at the rear of the door-to-1/4 panel is too large, loosen the bottom hinge at the *cowl* & move it back until the rear body lines line up. If the rear gap is too small, loosen the top hinge & move it forward.
5) If it needs to go in or out at the top or bottom (to be flush with the 1/4 panel), loosen the hinges at the *door* to make it line up with the 1/4 panel.
6) Once the door is properly aligned (you may have to go back & forth with some of the above steps) replace the striker, making sure it doesn't change the alignment when you close the door.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

Adjusting the door:
1) Remove the striker on the body.
2) Check the front up & down alignment - loosen both hinges to move it up or down to line up with the fender. Once this is good, loosen only one hinge at a time for the rest of the adjustments.
3) Once the front vertical is correct, close the door & check the rear vertical alignment.
4) If it sags (is too low): If the gap at the rear of the door-to-1/4 panel is too large, loosen the bottom hinge at the *cowl* & move it back until the rear body lines line up. If the rear gap is too small, loosen the top hinge & move it forward.
5) If it needs to go in or out at the top or bottom (to be flush with the 1/4 panel), loosen the hinges at the *door* to make it line up with the 1/4 panel.
6) Once the door is properly aligned (you may have to go back & forth with some of the above steps) replace the striker, making sure it doesn't change the alignment when you close the door.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Thanks Paul! Great write up. I'll try this tomorrow.
Marc

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock