Suddenly -- this '88GT engine won't run by notaguru
Started on: 05-30-2014 02:06 PM
Replies: 15 (252 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 06-01-2014 05:18 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'88GT 2.8L V6, 40.5k miles.
It was running beautifully this morning, and then the power just DIED.

It will idle, but not happily. It was barely driveable in a sort of "limp-home" mode, and made it to my house but did not have sufficient power to make it up the driveway into the garage.
--300 miles on new fuel filter, screen, fuel pump, ig wires, plugs, rotor, cap
--No warning lights
--No strange noises or smells
--No leaks
--Engine looks ok - no visible disconnects
--Gauges look ok
--Fuel is at half (and the gauge works properly)
--No load (in Neutral), can't get more than 1500 rpm

I am off to work and will return this afternoon - and really welcome some diagnostic help from the gurus!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your fuel pressure. Classic low fuel pressure indications.

If (when) you find it to be low first replace the fuel filter and see if that fixes it. If not then look at the fuel pump. This might be a leak in the fuel pump to fuel line hose.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-30-2014).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't rule out the fuel filter?

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sat for about three hours - and still won't run. It's apparently not temperature-dependent.

I'm about to borrow a fuel pressure gauge from AZ... that's what it feels like. It could be power to the pump, though it obviously could be the pump itself.

I really HATE the prospect of dropping the tank in my garage, without a lift.

What should the FP be with engine OFF, key ON, and 12V?

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 05-30-2014).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should get about 45 psi in those conditions.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

I really HATE the prospect of dropping the tank in my garage, without a lift.

If the pump is the issue, It's not really that bad of a job. I only raised one side of my car, with a floor jack, and placed it on jack stands. Took me a couple of hours by myself. The biggest issue is the weight of the gas. At least you are only at half a tank. I dropped mine just after I had filled it.

Jim

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbolaya:
If the pump is the issue, It's not really that bad of a job. I only raised one side of my car, with a floor jack, and placed it on jack stands. Took me a couple of hours by myself. The biggest issue is the weight of the gas. At least you are only at half a tank. I dropped mine just after I had filled it.
Jim

That's nothing, try replacing the tank in my 94 suburban with half a tank of gas, the dam thing holds 41 gallons of gas. I had to put a floor jack under my tank to drop that after putting a 3'x3' peace of half inch plywood between the jack saddle and tank. not a bad idea for any tank removal is 4 jack stands and the plywood between the tank and the floor jack. it makes life a lot easier.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the guidance.
FP is low, wiring looks ok, so I'll drop the tank tomorrow. JOY!!

That pump was new a couple of weeks ago - it must be faulty. But if I'm lucky, I'll discover a bad connection.

[This message has been edited by notaguru (edited 05-30-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 06:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The first thing to check when it suddenly dies is the ignition module in the distributor. You should ALWAYS carry a spare as they fail at any time without any warning. Sometimes they will restart after a while, sometimes not. If you dont have a spare, take it out and have it tested. If it tests good, spend the money for a spare anyway and put it in. 75% of the time it will fix it. People aways seem to overthink problems. Start with easy things first.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-31-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your fuses. Each bank of 3 fuel injectors has its own fuse.
IGN 1
IGN 2
PFF
System Bot
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Check your fuses. Each bank of 3 fuel injectors has its own fuse.
IGN 1
IGN 2

Exactly what happened to me yesterday .
A 5 amp fuse .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 05-31-2014).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's happened to me before with the same symptoms.

Originally posted by Robert 2:

Exactly what happened to me yesterday .
A 5 amp fuse .

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On this car, fuses and ICM are all ok, and there are no codes. AZ lent me a fuel pressure test kit (and sold me a spare ICM), and I found that pressure is jumping from 0 to 10psi, instead of a proper 40psi or so. I checked wiring and connections as much as possible, and found no problems.

The screen and the fuel filter are both quite new, and the tank itself was just cleaned and internally coated.

That leaves THE PUMP (also new, but to my regret I had picked a cheap one).

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pumps can fail prematurely if the voltage at the pump is low.

The connector on the wire to the pump can be bad. I saw this on an S10 and had the damn tank down 4 times before we finally got it figured out that the connector was loose. I figured that out by knocking the tank with the heel of my hand made the pump run/stop/run.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

That's nothing, try replacing the tank in my 94 suburban with half a tank of gas, the dam thing holds 41 gallons of gas. I had to put a floor jack under my tank to drop that after putting a 3'x3' peace of half inch plywood between the jack saddle and tank. not a bad idea for any tank removal is 4 jack stands and the plywood between the tank and the floor jack. it makes life a lot easier.

Steve

I feel your pain. I had a 1998 Suburban with the same tank. $500 job from a mechanic. The second time around I did it myself by cutting a hole in the floor above where the fuel pump is housed. Sealed it back up with some tape and foam afterwards.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock