overheating by 2268irma
Started on: 05-29-2014 07:41 PM
Replies: 13 (278 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-31-2014 12:36 PM
2268irma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it finally hit 100 here and my 88 fiero with a 4.9 decided it s to hot. Anyone have any answers on over heating I didn't have a problem till it hit the ninteys . It runs a little warm at 75 miles per hour but as soon as I get to where I'm going and shut dpwn it boils over . I start it up to idle to cool it down and the gauge pegs no a/c on. I replaced the thermo with a 180 and new radiator cap no help. I don't know if the Fiero factory put in a larger radiator when they did the swap. Any answers please I would like to drive it in the summer too.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What rad do you have in it? The rad from 2.8 should be sufficient, whereas the rad from the 2.5 is definitely insufficient for Arizona. Also, are you running with an oil cooler or is that bypassed?

...is your fan running?

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 05-29-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if you have the 2.8 radiator it could easily be partially plugged if its the original radiator.
2268irma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fan is running Radiator is probably the stock V6 since this is a formula. I'm wondering if I remove the screens from the bottoms of the engine vent grills this should help me remove more engine heat they restrict a lot of heat removal from the engine compartment. Is there anyway to get more air to the radiator? Or would a larger one help.
bobace455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bobace455Send a Private Message to bobace455Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Common mod is to wire the radiator fan to a switch so you can turn it on sooner than it will turn itself on. I run mine without the plastic wheel wells in the back- seemed to help a lot with heat.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Even if you have the 2.8 radiator it could easily be partially plugged if its the original radiator.

That's what i was thinking too. When my car started to run 20 degrees higher than normal, i took it to the radiator shop. He removed the side tank and hooked up a hose. About 1/2 the tubes were partially or totally blocked. The guy ran a swab through each tube until flow was restored. Now it's good as new .
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would guess that the screens are on the engine vents to keep leaves and debri from falling in and catching fire.
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boiling over could be a sign your system can't hold pressure. Get the "loaner tool" radiator pressure tester from Autozone. Not sure if O'reillys or the other stores carry it. I had a similar problem and found at least 3 places where fluid was leaking. It is easy to find the leaks as the tool pressurizes the system and you can hear/see them. This simple tool stopped the head scratching and parts replacement mode.

[This message has been edited by flimbob (edited 05-30-2014).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could have the wrong radiator cap. You need the kind where the little vent in the center of the underside of the cap is spring loaded, so that it stays closed. If you have the kind where the little vent dangles loose, it won't work on a Fiero.
2268irma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2268irmaSend a Private Message to 2268irmaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car only has 48000 miles on it so I don't think its a radiator problem . I bought the correct cap. I'll try the pressure leak check though I can't find any leaks when it sits and idles. Can't wait to drive it when it hits 115 degrees and I definitely need to have the air on. P.S. I found a good way to add cup holders I drilled 2 2 3/4 inch holes in the center armrest back of the liter and inserted chrome golf cart cup rings a nice clean install. I don't know how to show the picture of the installation.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To post pictures, click on the Pennocks Image Poster at the bottom center of your screen.
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the radiator condition is more a function of the age of the car than how many miles the car has.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2268irma:

The car only has 48000 miles on it so I don't think its a radiator problem .

sounds like the car sits around alot - even more reason to suspect the radiator has tubes blocked by rust, corrosion, dirt, ect. Getting the radiator cleaned is never a bad idea .
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Coolant Fill and rest of section.

Have you bought tires etc? Maybe they crushed your pipes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock