86 GT with L67 swap to an 87 GT by Jfrost
Started on: 05-27-2014 11:32 PM
Replies: 3 (134 views)
Last post by: Jfrost on 05-28-2014 09:33 AM
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought an 87 GT to replace my rust ridden 86 GT that was in the process of getting an L67 swap. I have a couple of questions as far as adapting the swap cradle to the differences on the 87 model year.

I know one major difference is the heater core line routing that comes off the passenger side coolant tube. The car I bought has a partially crushed passenger side coolant tube that actually has a section of rubber coolant line replacing a damaged section right by the heater return connection. Given the damage, how feasible would it be to add the 86 GT heater hose tubes and passenger side coolant pipe that runs to the radiator? If the tubes are the same up front from 86 to 87 this would save me having to adapt my already plumbed coolant/heater hose on the 86 for the swap.

Also, I already have everything set up to run the Muncie 4spd from the 86 on the cradle, clutch and pressure plate. So long as I switch the shift cables and shifter assembly I'll be OK to run the 4spd in the 87 right? I don't feel like using the Getrag from the 87 as it has more miles and some issues with the synchros and such with getting into gear.

Also, is there anything else I'm missing that will need to be done switching between the two model years?

------------------
Project L67 Fiero

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 87 harness will not have a connector for the 4 speed. The 86 harness had connectors for both transmissions.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only wiring difference is the reverse light wiring as the switch is on the shifter for the 4 speed so you will need to add the wiring in for this. Only other difference you already know in the pass coolant tube for the heater core return hose.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Only wiring difference is the reverse light wiring as the switch is on the shifter for the 4 speed so you will need to add the wiring in for this. Only other difference you already know in the pass coolant tube for the heater core return hose.

Thanks for the info. The swap harness I have has both connectors already wired into it, so I'll just need to run a wire from the switch to the connector on the trans right?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock