Noisy front end - '88GT by notaguru
Started on: 05-27-2014 12:55 AM
Replies: 6 (220 views)
Last post by: FieroCat on 05-28-2014 05:05 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This revived '88 is doing well. It runs like new, the A/C works, etc. It now has new shocks and struts, urethane throughout the rear suspension, and about 1,493,503 nuts, bolts, and screws have been retorqued or at least tightened.

HOWEVER, it's noisy. There are rattles and clicks from every direction including the dashboard, but the noisiest part of the car is the front suspension. When the car goes over a bump, there's a brittle metallic sound. I did not put urethane up front - the original rubber seemed ok, (but it is 40,000 miles and 26 years old).

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sway bars links would be first thought,, and very inexpensive. or shocks or ball joints or control arm bushings..

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

[This message has been edited by jb1 (edited 05-27-2014).]

StreetRod4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also check out the steering rack bushing on the passenger side. Mine went south on my 66k mile Formula and it would clunk and rattle whenever it wanted to
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the sway bar end links. The long bolt often corrodes and eventually breaks.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use your hand and hit the coolant pipes under the foot area. Mine had one that hit the frame and made a terrible noise. Finally found it one day but hitting everything with my hand when under it one winter. What a joy to finally find that one. I put a clamp and piece of rubber on the passenger side pipe where it turns towards the middle under the foot area.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2014 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The sway bar end link bushings on my 88 disintegrated, and that resulted in a rattle. I replaced them with some rubber ones from Napa. They seem to work just fine.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a loud metallic clunk up front too, it turned out to be the upper AND lower ball joints. Mechanic told me it was a miracle that the wheels hadn't fallen off yet.
Make sure you check those!

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock