Portable Repair Kit by markkrug
Started on: 05-23-2014 07:25 PM
Replies: 10 (333 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 05-26-2014 02:39 PM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told by some very knowledgeable Fiero folks (you know who you are) that they have put together a portable kit of specific items that they carry in the event of a breakdown. I was wondering if others do this and what items should I be putting into the kit?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Purple86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I try to carry the most efficient tools as possible. (multipurpose)

#1 make sure you have a full factory spare tire tool set. (jack, lug nut tool, tire @ proper pressure)
#2 light channel lock pliers (I like this because they can be used for several things)
#3 light mini ratchet set
#4 flashlight
#5 cell phone
#6 money... (cash, credit or debit) *sigh*
#7 knife, or something that cuts..
#8 a roll of electrical tape

I don't believe in carrying numerous spare parts... IMO, if you suspect something will brake down, replace it before it does...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Purple86GT:
I don't believe in carrying numerous spare parts... IMO, if you suspect something will brake break down, replace it before it does...

Yup...
Example: many carries ignition parts, like Module.
Chronic Module problems are a sign that other parts are dieing and frying the module.
But they just replace died module, buy new module for spare and never fix real problem.

Note: If you change rims... Check lug wrench will fit.
Right now, I carry my 1/2" socket set but only because rims won't clear standard lug wrench. I should get another handle and 2 sockets... lug key is different size then lugs.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-23-2014).]

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the common killer of modules?

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 05-25-2014).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrittB:

From what I've read: bad pickup coil, bad cable connections to both pickup and ignition coils and ECM (rusted ends, or cables themselves broken inside), heat (not enough thermal paste). Something I missed? Replacing my module soon and would like to know too.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2014 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

High resistance in the secondary (high voltage) side of the ignition system can send electrical junk back to the ICM. High resistance at the spark plug wires....Bad contact at the rotor.....or bad ignition coil all can do it.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My travel tool kit is a little overkill, but with it I can do just about any repair away from home.

------------------
Products: 88 13" Brake Kit, 88 12" Brake Kit, 88 Lateral Link Relocation, 84-87 Machined Front Hubs, Custom Machining
Engine Swaps:
LS4/F40, HSR/SBC/F23, Pro-Flo/383/Getrag, 4.3CPI/4T60, Ramjet SBC/Getrag, 4.9/Isuzu, Carb SBC/Isuzu, 4.5/Isuzu

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And tach filter w/ problem can act like module is bad.

See my Cave, HE Ignition
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can a bad tach filter cause the tach to suddenly jump 500-1000 rpm for a split second?ind of like flicking the needle directly with your finger. it then bounces down 200-400 rpm ( maybe a little more as i cant predict or just watch the tach while driving and it only happens while driving more than 15 minutes.
I first noticed a problem when the tach would drop almost to zero and then back up from 3500 also like flicking the tach needle coinciding with ignition cutout.
The upward motion does not cause a noticeable change to engine whereas the downward motion does.

So andy ideas. Will have to wait til next payday to get an ohm meter to test the pickup coil, coil and ICM. but how do you check a tach filter? and does the ECM get its signal through the filter or directlyy from the ICM.
ICM is new, I replaced it 2 months ago. It failed all the tests at the auto parts store and had a sudden and catstophic failure precdeded by two ingition cutouts of 1-2 seconds (much longer than its doing now) and then no ingnition at all.)
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And unless you've droppe the tank to reclebrate the sending unit, a gas tank. Its not good for the pump but you might want to see what the gauge reads when it runs out.......in your driveway. And as mentioned before, a fire extinguisher
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock