Need brake info by 86 Vintage Fiero
Started on: 05-23-2014 02:04 PM
Replies: 3 (293 views)
Last post by: uhlanstan on 05-24-2014 12:35 AM
86 Vintage Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 Vintage FieroSend a Private Message to 86 Vintage FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I could everyone's help it seems I thought I have saved an article pertaining to how you should adjust the E-brake before you adjust your regular brakes. But like so many things what I thought, I had done, it didn't happen. Now I am asking for help to find that info. The article stated you placed an so many thousandths shim in between the pad an rotor to adjust the E-brake. I would really appreciate the help. I have tried to use the cave but for some reason I can read articles and reference different things but to just go there and look up things I can not use it that well.And believe me I know it is all me. But if someone could explain to me maybe I could start using more. Sorry, old school trying to better myself.
Thanks one and all for any and all help...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this document?
uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post05-24-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many experienced mechanics have trouble with the Fiero rear brakes & the E brake !!
Use only Rebuilt rear calipers from the fiero store & they are not always good
do not buy rock auto rebuilt calipers or others
FIRST your rear brakes have to work..Make sure they work properly,if you have the cables & ajuster working properly this will be 3/4 of the battle,even experienced mechanics overlook this important step ,nothing will work correctly if the calipers are not correct
place the rear wheels in the air on jack stands make sure the right & left rear wheels spin the same
loosen up the cabin brake ajustment lube this cable,do not proceed untill the cables are free
then make sure the cable ajusters that runs along the frame are working properly they should turn easily
lube them & the cables if frozen, the cables should move in & out easily,, the cables should require no lube but after 20 years they may need lube .use a tooth brush to clean the ajusters I cut half the bristles off..shorter to create a stiff cleaning brush,just short of a wire brush do not half step,, do it right,make it as close to new as you can ..
do not lube cables if they work O.K.
you can cut the sheath to open it if cable is frozen ,,lube it,, free it & tape over the cut
check the cables to make sure they are hooked into the lever as shown by picture 14,5 on page 214 of the Haynes fiero manual
page 214 will be a big help,,or page 295 of the Chilton manual
the cables must have the same reach & slack,you have to fiddle (tech word) with the cables to achieve the same length at the lever
if the rear brakes do not work properly it will be almost impossible to get the E brake to work
shim is a very last resort
when you bleed the brakes ,you must have a strong spurt of fluid ,,there should be no Dirty looking fluid flush it out
the fiero rear brakes need attention to detail
actuate the rear brakes a small amount at a time ,do not be running the screw type actuator ajuster in & out ,the seals are fragile
hopefully you will not have to shim
never use cheap low price brake pads on a Fiero ,, Use only top quality premium brake pads like wagner thermo quiets ,Fiero store Carbomets or something like pepboys Diamond,, O'reilly brake best select..cheap pads is why so many Fiero have bad brakes

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock