Stock stereo cutting out by NeverFamous
Started on: 05-23-2014 01:39 PM
Replies: 4 (118 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 05-23-2014 11:59 PM
NeverFamous

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NeverFamousSend a Private Message to NeverFamousEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how to remove my stereo unit. It is a stock unit in 1986 GT but my stereo loses signal all the time and when you hit the channel surf button it'll just go through static, but when I bang on the unit (via sides of dash)it will pick back up the stations. I wanna know how I can go about getting the wiring right or do I just need to replace the unit.seems like every other bump on the road helps me lose signal. I was using an FM transmitter but only during the times the radio would function. I need to figure out how to get it to function properly again.

------------------
Never Famous XD

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine did that, and I had to replace it. You should be able to find a replacement via "The Mall" section of this forum, or you can upgrade to a later model Delco unit with a cd. I bought one from ReplacementRadios, and it works great. You'll also have to buy a replacement wiring harness which needs to be slightly modified, if you have the premium sound option.
bb
rwhughes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rwhughesSend a Private Message to rwhughesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take the radio out of the car and take the cover off of the side with the circuit board. There is a connector that goes between two boards and if you resolder it you will probably fix it. To be sure, just resolder every connection on the board, it doesn't take that long.
jhgraham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jhgrahamClick Here to visit jhgraham's HomePageSend a Private Message to jhgrahamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the tunner knob is shot. Pull the radio and send it for repairs, about $20. This is assuming you replaced the radio with a newer one like Fiero GM Delco, Delco AM/FM Stereo Cd player EQ Model. Gray front. Go to http://delcorepairs.com/....reliable and fast. Been there done that.

Jim
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rwhughes:

Take the radio out of the car and take the cover off of the side with the circuit board. There is a connector that goes between two boards and if you resolder it you will probably fix it. To be sure, just resolder every connection on the board, it doesn't take that long.

This is a common repair technique which also works for malfunctioning chimes... (see Ogre's Cave).

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock