Started on: 07-19-2020 09:21 AM
Replies: 6 (65 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 08-05-2020 11:10 AM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 349
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2020 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For a long time, I've wanted to get my hands on a 3-Series BMW. The E46 chassis is considered by many to be the epitome of the BMW 3-series. But I like cheap project cars, that I'm not afraid to break... so I can fix it and break it again another day. So I had to wait until the E46 cars got cheap enough.

Last week, I found a beat-up E46 on Facebook Marketplace for a really good price. So I jumped on it. Now I'm the proud owner of a 2001 BMW 330i. If I played my cards right, it should be a diamond in the rough. If not, then it's just rough. I guess we'll see. Anyway, here are some photos from the ad:

I also made a quick YouTube video about it. The idea is to make a video series documenting the build process... and hopefully some racing after I get it fixed up.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2020 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the weekend, I made some progress on the Basket Case BMW. I scored an almost-complete front end at the salvage yard. It's just missing a couple small trim pieces. I can live with that.

Here's what the car looks like with the front end installed... and a wash.

I'll have a video up on Friday to talk about the details, plus some other issues that were fixed.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2020 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As promised, here's the video.

The rehab process will take another video or two. But I want to move on to the fun stuff as soon as possible.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroClick Here to Email LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

The rehab process will take another video or two. But I want to move on to the fun stuff as soon as possible.

Chevy v8?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still debating that. On the one hand, I'd love to do an LS swap (like a 4.8 or 5.3). But the Vortec 4200 (DOHC straight 6) looks interesting too. Either way, the car will probably get a GM drivetrain. And I have a MegaSquirt + WBO2 setup to put on it.

In related news, I also found a front fender at the salvage yard. All the left front fenders were mangled, to some degree. This one was the least damaged. It'll work.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2020 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Work continues on the Basket Case BMW. In addition to the fender, I also found and fixed a handful of other issues.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2020 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageClick Here to Email BlacktreeSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been chasing down a high / rough idle condition with the engine. But I think I got it figured out. This engine has a weird vacuum system. For example, it doesn't have a PCV valve. So if the valve cover doesn't seal completely, it will cause a vacuum leak. That's crazy!

To add insult to injury, the previous owner of the car decided to "delete" a bunch of the valve cover bolts. They tried to make up for it by gooping up the valve cover gasket with silicone. It didn't work. I got a new valve cover gasket set, and snagged some valve cover bolts from the junkyard. Then I wiped the slate clean, so to speak, and did it the right way.

I also had to replace the power steering pulley, because it was damaged. And I replaced the gauge cluster, because it went MIA. I'll cover all this stuff in a new video, on Friday.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock