Looking at buying a 2006 GTO by starlightcoupe
Started on: 06-29-2017 04:08 PM
Replies: 11 (528 views)
Last post by: kendell on 01-03-2018 09:55 PM
starlightcoupe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A guy near Portland OR has a low mileage 2006 GTO in what appears to be new condition. Mileage is roughly 19,000, it is the color I like, upholstery is great, it is loaded with good accessories and it belongs to a an old guy and has been pampered. I don't like automatic transmissions period and I don't like automatics in performance cars. I know that automatics are much preferred today and anyone will tell you that automatics can shift much better than manual. At my advanced age, I'd rather have what I want (a manual tranny) but this appears to be a good deal. I don't intend to race it but most cars I have owned have power including my Fiero with a 3800SC and AUTOMATIC tranny.

Does anyone have one of these? I hope the exhaust isn't too loud and it isn't too rough riding. Otherwise, I am interested in buying it. He wants $19,500 for it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a 2005 since new. If it has the stock exhaust, it isn't loud at all. The ride in these cars from the factory are very comfortable and are great road trip cars. The seats and interior are nice to spend time in. I've been very happy with mine and would recommend one for someone looking for a nice, comfortable car with a good amount of power. Just be aware these are low production cars and the aftermarket has already dropped off a lot. Parts could become hard to find in the future if you plan to keep it long.

I think there's a couple other new GTO owners on Pennock's, maybe they'll chime in.

The main forum for the 04-06 GTOs is www.ls1gto.com

Tim
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My brother owned one for a couple of weeks. He loved it, but it was just too much temptation. He let me drive it once and I loved it, too. So much power. I got it up to 115 mph and it wasn't even working hard.
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2017 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just look for tire rub in the rear. Not a lot of room in that wheel well and without some minor modifications a lot of GTO's suffer from this problem.

Also be aware suspension components seem to wear out quick if you plan on DD'ing it.

edit to add: that price is too high especially from a private party. There's a dealership in Richmond, VA that has one for 16 grand and it's been sitting there for over two months. 2005 automatic 25k miles.

[This message has been edited by Black88GT (edited 06-30-2017).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Tire rub on the rear could be a problem. I was a bit concerned about tire rub on my Fiero but despite the close proximity to the fender well opening, it didn't rub.

Looking at prices in Oregon, dealership asking prices are far too much even for high mileage LS2s but private parties are just a bit lower. Good to know the noise level isn't overpowering. One of the reasons that I don't have my Fiero is because of the 3800SC's loud exhaust. I drove it almost across the US with no mechanical problems but the muffler didn't seem to dampen the noise at all. My hearing suffered badly.

Again, thanks for the input and I'll try to strike a bargain with the old guy (he's 14 years younger than me!)
Black88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black88GTSend a Private Message to Black88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by starlightcoupe:

Again, thanks for the input and I'll try to strike a bargain with the old guy (he's 14 years younger than me!)

Good luck. My friend has had one for the last five years and loves it. I might be in the market for one soon myself. I think you would be crazy to pay over 18 personally. I think I am going to look for one a little rougher and closer to 12 or 13 and with the expectations of putting about 2 grand into suspension parts.

Shade Tree Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a high nilage 04 and i love it they are plenty of these cars around for sale if you realy look you can buy a decent one for 10k all day long I would rather buy something whith miles on it instead somthing i have to babey all the time mine has 150 k on it and it runs great
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shade Tree Fiero:

I bought a high nilage 04 and i love it they are plenty of these cars around for sale if you realy look you can buy a decent one for 10k all day long I would rather buy something whith miles on it instead somthing i have to babey all the time mine has 150 k on it and it runs great

I am not always pragmatic--in fact, I am rarely pragmatic. When I buy a used car, I try to get the lowest mileage I can find. My Fiero was a high mileage car but the 3800SC was low mileage plus I rebuilt the front end, etc. I think you're doing the right thing by getting a higher mileage car and not spending a lot of money on it. Having said that, I won't baby or pamper the car I buy. I don't pamper the 2009 Grand Prix I bought with only 43,000 miles on it. It just turned over 70,000 miles and it runs well. If I buy a 2005 or 2006 GTO, I'll get one with low miles and I'll drive it the way I drove my Fiero, Grand Prix and just about any other car I have had including our TrailBlazer.

What I am saying is, you and I think alike in that we like a car in a certain condition and we're happy with it. I like one with low miles but you're less picky than I am

Incidentally, I bought a completely rebuilt '78 Chevy pickup that looked really good. I used it as a farm truck hauling dirt, wood, cow and horse poop and mistreated it horribly but even after 11 years, it ran like a new one and NEVER quit on me or allowed me to get stuck in snow or mud. It just looked like crap. I wish I'd have brought it to Oregon. I don't like the truck I now have. (Never buy a truck from your brother in law )
wgpierce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2017 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wgpierceSend a Private Message to wgpierceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In case you didn't know, these are "reengineed" Holden Monaros. There is plenty of aftermarket for them here in Oz most of which will apply except exhaust due to the left hand drive conversion.
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2017 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wgpierce:

In case you didn't know, these are "reengineed" Holden Monaros. There is plenty of aftermarket for them here in Oz most of which will apply except exhaust due to the left hand drive conversion.

Good to know there is a parts source albeit across the pond. Here is my latest dream car: https://dallas.craigslist.o...-gto/6194190904.html Other than misspelling Pontiac, this looks like a pretty good deal. The car is not far from my old home town but about 2000 miles from where I now live but I have already schemed enough to get funds transferred, etc and may buy it.

Thanks for the information!
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 06 6 speed manual in Brazen Orange Metalic.
I bought it sight unseen, no test drive brand new right off of the trailer. I never even saw the car till all of the paperwork was done. They took off the bubble wrap and cleaned it up.
Love the car. It now has about 11k miles. It broke my heart to hit the 10,000 mark. We only use it to go play around in.
PFF
System Bot
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2018 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old guy brought his 2005 GTO to the shop for a new set of tires, ultra wheels, and some brake job. More than 70k miles on the clock but still runs a like champ.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock