No Castle Nut or Cotter Pin on Trailer Wheel Bearing Assembly by longjonsilver
Started on: 06-19-2017 04:21 PM
Replies: 7 (1062 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 06-21-2017 02:06 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bot this boat and it came with a trailer. i guess it was an old trailer, or so said the man at the local trailer repair facility, because i can't find anybody who sells washers designed to hold the wheel bearing nut. i have only one and its not in good shape. It appears as if you place it under then nut, adjust (tighten) the nut and then bend up the tab(s) to hold the nut in place. Does anybody know about these? Where can i buy another couple of washers?
thanks
jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen what you described.
I assume there is a keyway cut in the spindle with a key in the washer to stop it from spinning?
Unfortunately I am unsure of where to look for them and not even sure of a proper name or phrase to try to google.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0437817
Maybe take the one you have to a store like fastenal and see if they can match you one up? Or if you can measure it order it online from them or maybe McMaster Carr?

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 06-19-2017).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2017 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes there is a keyway cut in the axle.
thanks for the leads I'll look into it.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2017 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have seen that before, but I can't think of where... definitely on a car. I would go by a NAPA - they have hardware catalogs and can probably find something. If not, you probably just need to match things dimensionally, and stake the nut into the keyway to keep it from spinning off.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:
I have seen that before, but I can't think of where... definitely on a car.

Yeah, the axle probably came off a car. It appears to have an unused drum brake. The spacing of the lugnuts and the diameter of the hole in the middle (what do you call that?) is something i have never seen before, i cant find another wheel to have a spare, so i just bot new tires so that it will be as reliable as possible. The axle is probably off some really old car. Thanks for the tip. i'll try NAPA today.
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking of these, which were quite common on car front axles years ago... but this isn't quite what you want.

This is more like what you require...

Or this...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-21-2017).]

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I was thinking of these, which were quite common on car front axles years ago... but this isn't quite what you want.

i went to two car parts places, one NAPA, and they didn't have anything like that. i was sent to another trailer repair facility and they sold me something like the second picture, but it doesn't fit - my nut is too small for their part.

i've been trying to make a part and i went to try it on the axle, and i discovered that there are TWO washers underneath the nut. The first is like your first picture except it has a flat spot on the OUTSIDE. Then it hit me the second washer fits on top of it and the two are keyed into the slot so that together they dont move, and hence the nut doesn't move either (hopefully). Altho i would prefer a castle nut and a cotter pin, there is no room to drill a hole and us a castle nut. Now i'm going to see what exactly is on the other side of the trailer (in the bushes). Maybe i assemblied it wrong.
thanks
jon

------------------
I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2017 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you use a flanged lock nut (like a typical, modern axle nut) you can stake the top of it into the keyway. It should be absolutely fine. Like so:

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock