Started on: 06-11-2017 01:23 AM
Replies: 5 (340 views)
Last post by: SCCA FIERO on 01-05-2018 06:38 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran... OK, low on power, but it has 35" tires, 3.50 gears in straight axles from a Ford (Dana 44 up front, 9" out back).

The day it died it started right up and drove 1/4 mile, turned off, then fired up five minutes later, drove 1/4 mile back to work and turned off. Maybe ten minutes later I go out to start it and it just spins. Called the wife to come get me. While waiting I listened for the fuel pump and couldn't hear it. Fuse is good, swapped AC relay for fuel pump relay, still no fire. Wife shows up and I go home.

Next day wife drops me off and I try to start it, it fires up and I drive it two miles to the store, then back. It starts sputtering about 400 feet from parking lot, then dies and I coast to a spot. The place it died is quieter than where it was - fuel pump does prime and fuel is spraying from TB. Checked timing and the mark on balancer was way off when rotor was above #1 pole. Replaced timing chain and sprockets and the mark and rotor are where they should be, still won't start.

Did a compression test on cylinders 1 and 4 and got only 60 psi cold in both. It's getting fuel and spark.

Here's everything replaced.
Timing chain and sprockets
ICM
Coil
Pickup coil

Spark plugs and wires are good as are cap and rotor.

Is 60 psi too low to fire off?

It has over 243,000 miles and it has to be back on the road (it's my crawler) and thinking about doing a V8 swap, but just not a good time since we are building a house.

[This message has been edited by SCCA FIERO (edited 06-11-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2017 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
60 psi sounds way to low. What where the other cylinders at? If the other cylinders are at 120 psi (which is usually a good number) and 2 are at 60 psi then you know you have a problem for sure.

You could try doing a leakdown test in plstead of the compression test and see if you can tell where your compression is going. If it jumped timing, there probably was an introduction between pistons and valves, which would cause bent valves, bent pushrods or holes in pistons.

I feel sorry for your engine and trans moving 35" tires with such high gears

[This message has been edited by LitebulbwithaFiero (edited 06-11-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2017 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SCCA FIERO:

thinking about doing a V8 swap, but just not a good time since we are building a house.

Id do that, just do it cheap, or on a weekend with buddies, and maybe wait til the house is done.
Jazziejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2017 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazziejeffSend a Private Message to JazziejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds to me like ur fuel pump is dyin. Also sounds like u have a few other problems but ur fuel pump is going out bro
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2017 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jazziejeff:

Sounds to me like ur fuel pump is dyin. Also sounds like u have a few other problems but ur fuel pump is going out bro

This is what I thought. Perhaps a clogged filter on the cheap?
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2018 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a nice pattern at the throttle body. Pump would prime after just a second or so. Compression was down to 60 on two cylinders, two others were 100, I think the other two were around 80.

I am planning on doing a 5.3 swap one day, maybe. I just started racing my Fiero again and it needs upgrade$.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock