Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  Lost my mind.. going after a japanese import.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lost my mind.. going after a japanese import. by tbone42
Started on: 02-10-2017 01:40 PM
Replies: 5 (278 views)
Last post by: Scottzilla79 on 03-31-2017 07:06 PM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Howdy, Y'all.. sorry it has been a quiet run from me for quite some time.

I sold my 2014 f150 and got just enough money to buy a good van. Or a bad van. Or a weird van. Or a camper.

I was looking at Sprinters with the 5 cyl diesel, but the only one that was in my price range and want list flew out of auction so fast I never had a chance to bid on it.

Then my ebay alert came up on vans, and I checked the new offers and I saw four (4) Mitsubishi Delicas. I am 80% sure I am purchasing one, a 1991 diesel 4x4 with the 2.5. It's a little expensive, but I have spent more on Fiero repairs and mods over the years. Speaking of which, these things are so ugly they look cool.. just like our little mid engine friend.

It's the kind of obsession that leads people further down this weird road.. I blame you Fiero enthusiasts for telling me how to switch dashboards.. that started all this nonsense.

Pros- It's cool and weird, the miles are low-ish for a diesel, tires are new, engine is super clean (looks brand new) , everything works, Body is 95% with one ding and a few scratches..I will be able to tour the SW this coming winter with it, enough room for me, a bed, 2 small dogs, a fridge and a camp stove as well as all the junk I need to camp or travel. Not big enough for two people and two dogs, though.

Cons- It's Right Hand drive!!!!! Parts are usually available only in other countries, so shipping is gonna hurt at times. Not to mention not being able to roll over to Autozone and get much for it if something goes wrong. I have heard stories of rollovers, as well.. but those seem to be attributed more to terrible drivers than anything else.

I haven't put a deposit down, but i am picking it up in Philly on Monday morning. (8 hour drive from my house) Which means I gotta do an 8 hour highway trip with it.. luckily I have a friend who will roll through the turnpike booth first and hand them the money for me. Later, he won't be around.

Converting the steering wheel and pedals to LH side is in consideration, as well as a windshield camera and display so I can spy the middle of the road better. Don't know if I want to do the conversion, only because people from Australia and other RHD countries import these, and if I want to sell it later it might be more valuable RHD.. that I am just guessing on.

Ok, talk me out of this or encourage me if you like...Like my fiero, I have seen the cons and am still ok with it.. but maybe there is something else i need to know?

I would post pics, but it has been years and I dont think my old file bucket is even around anymore.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is! I will get pics up shortly.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Cons- It's Right Hand drive!!!!!

I think you'll find that RHD is not that big of an issue. Just two months ago I bought a 5-spd '98 JDM Subaru Impreza STi wagon (as reported Here). The very first time I ever drove a RHD vehicle in my life was when I drove this car home. I was a little leery of shifting gears with my left hand, but that turned out to be no problem. I found the most difficult thing to learn to do was to quit turning on the windshield wipers every time I wanted to change lanes!

I see a lot Mitsubishi Delicas on the roads here. They appear to be a very popular JDM import. You'll no doubt love this vehicle.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-10-2017).]

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Insurance put the whole notion to rest. They wanted sport car rates for something made in 1991. Consider this thread a non-starter, I guess I am still looking.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2017 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Insurance put the whole notion to rest.

That's unfortunate.

Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh wow that one looks like it went from so ugly to cool to ugly again.
Did you try Haggerty for insurance?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock