2006 Canyon won't start by pcgold
Started on: 12-01-2016 08:26 AM
Replies: 12 (186 views)
Last post by: pcgold on 12-20-2016 07:29 PM
pcgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I replaced the battery last night. I also have a Viper remote starter.

Now, the truck will start with the remote starter. When I put the key and turn it, then try to drive away or press the brake, the vehicle shuts off. Just like it's supposed to if the key isn't put in.

When I try to start it with the key, nothing. All electronics come on but the vehicle won't crank.

The Canyon has the dreaded passlock system and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sure sounds like the pass key giving you trouble.

pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if it is. I don't think it's the dreaded Passlock system (Who came up with that POS system anyhow?). I've had the battery cables unhooked overnight and it didnt' help. There are wasy to bypass it and reset it but it didn't work. The passlock light isn't on.

In the past when the light was on those tricks worked but nothing this time.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know on older cars with passlock, if it failed you could turn the key on and jump the starter and be good to go.

My 99 Corvette has passkey and when it has problems it will start, but not let you go over 3 MPH, with some kind of warning on the DIC.

That is the extent of my passlock experiences.
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Theft mode
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My ideas are old, but I'm surprised how often they still work. Verify the gear you're in. Park and neutral are usually the only ones that permit cranking.
Secondly, try pulling the steering wheel hard left or right while cranking. My 2001 buick century was fond of the steering wheel always finding those two half degree spots that won't allow cranking.
Lastly, try cleaning the key if it has a chip/resistor.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

viperine

1401 posts
Member since Feb 2015
You may also try reprogramming the key. It's a relatively easy process that involves the key being turned to specific functions for specific times. Will have to google it though, I don't recall the process off the top of my head.
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been at the shop for a week and a half. They have no idea what's wrong. Wednesday it goes back to the remote starter installer. They suspect the starter may be fried. Might just have to rip the whole thing out.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2016 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any luck with this yet?
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2016 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Any luck with this yet?

Nope.

It's now gone to the shop who installed the remote starter. The tech there has had it for three days and can't figure it out.

He also had a Canyon at some point so he's determined to get to the bottom of this.

He has told me he won't 'charge me an arm and a leg.' Maybe just an arm. :0

pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2016 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fixed - and it wasn't cheap.

Bunch of fuses blown but the real problem was the bypass for the remote got fried somehow when the battery was changed. There was some wiring under the dash from the PO that shouldn't have been there and giving problems as well.

PFF
System Bot
LitebulbwithaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2016 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh wow. How did you manage to do all that with a battery change? Hook it up backwards accidently?
pcgold

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcgoldSend a Private Message to pcgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Oh wow. How did you manage to do all that with a battery change? Hook it up backwards accidently?

No, that wasn't it. I was careful. Just chalking it up to one of those (expensive) things.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock