Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  MR swapping another car (hatch back style)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
MR swapping another car (hatch back style) by chriswf
Started on: 11-15-2016 04:45 PM
Replies: 2 (179 views)
Last post by: chriswf on 11-17-2016 05:18 PM
chriswf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have more questions than I could ask here. I have a 2010 Yaris hatch that I'm not doing anything with. Bought it basically new (had 5k miles on it), for 17,000$. It has over 200k miles on it now. And it's worth like 2500$, even though it's in very good condition, no mechanical issues at all (never had a mechanical issue in it's life). It's been a good car, and this will be more of a hobby - for those who ask why.

But my primary questions are:
1. Any links to builds?

2. How do you align the engine back there? I've seen some people on the ShoGun forums move a Ford SHO (Taurus?) engine (a small 3/3.2L) back to the rear of the Festiva, and weld it in place. But nobody frequents their forums really...
But I don't know how to align an engine bay so the engine is perfectly straight. Like what are the measuring points? I'd like to 3800sc or 3400 Gm swap it. Cheap parts is ideal. Good torque back there is ideal. But I think the engine/trans would be too wide for the rear end of a Yaris. After it's centered left and right, do you have to make sure it's tilt (forward/backward) is centered as well?

3. How do people mount custom suspension? Even for gokarts/dune buggies. Do you compress the spring to the weight of the car, eye ball where it should mount up to, and then fabricate a mount for that (to the best of your ability)?

I can do wiring, shifter linkage, etc. Probably find someone to do my axles for me.
Really just getting the engine in there is going to be the hard part. My brother is a welder by trade, but not with cars :P
I just need a little guidance on getting it in there.

[This message has been edited by chriswf (edited 11-15-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go on the locostusa.com website and look in the building non-traditionally section .There is a book available about doing this to a Mini , google Kimini .
chriswf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2016 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Go on the locostusa.com website and look in the building non-traditionally section .There is a book available about doing this to a Mini , google Kimini .

Thanks a bunch, that's some serious fab work going on in there. I'll likely hang out in there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock