Opinions on the 3.4 OHV Grand Am? by SR-71
Started on: 11-10-2016 10:24 AM
Replies: 3 (199 views)
Last post by: drm101 on 07-30-2017 08:49 AM
SR-71

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SR-71Send a Private Message to SR-71Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking at buying a 2004 Grand Am GT. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I wanted to ask you opinions on them, and the 3.4L OHV engine. I am not familiar with this particular 60* V6. Thoughts? Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2016 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My father had one from about 40k miles to about 165k when he traded it in. I don't recall him ever having any major issues with it. Mostly just wear and tear items like brakes/tires. I do think he had a wheel bearing issue a couple of times and I think the power windows might have had some electrical gremlins toward the end. It was a 4 door 2004 Grand Am GT if memory serves me correctly. I do recall him saying that the car certainly didn't owe him anything.

Not first hand experience, so take it for what it's worth.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

[This message has been edited by Fiero 88 (edited 11-15-2016).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a '99 Grand Am with that engine. It's the Generation III 60ยบ V6. It's a good engine with aluminum heads and roller cam. It makes around 170-185 HP depending on application.
Early versions like mine had a recurring problem with Lower Intake Manifold gasket failures, but they went to a new design gasket by 2004. I replaced mine with the new design and never had any more issues.

Easy to maintain, too.
Bleed valves for the coolant to make getting air out of the cooling system after a coolant flush easy.
Incredibly easy to change alternator and water pump.

One weird thing is there is an engine mount that mounts to the front of the engine where the serpentine belt is. The belt actually goes around the mount, so you have to take the engine mount loose to change the belt. It's not difficult and there's a trick to doing it so you don't actually have to completely disconnect the mount. That's the only weird thing I ran into with mine.

As with any late model car with ABS, I recommend flushing the brake fluid every 1-2 years. Dirty fluid can ruin your ABS module and that's an expensive repair. Fluid changes are cheap insurance. It's best to have a shop do it. They can hook up to the computer and activate the ABS module so make sure everything is purged out of the module as well. A regular bleeding of the brakes won't do that.
drm101

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2017 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drm101Send a Private Message to drm101Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had a 1999 Alero (basically the same car) and really liked it. It felt solid and the engine made lots of torque for what it is. Sold it when kid came (It was a two door and getting the car seat in was tough). The neighbor has a Grand Am and the only real issue seems to be rusty rockers that hide themselves under the plastic covers. crawl under there and check for rust.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock