Started on: 08-24-2016 11:08 PM
Replies: 21 (505 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 12-09-2016 01:02 PM
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So....I am looking at buying a newer car. I will be selling 3 or 4 of my cars, but don't worry....I'll be keeping my '88 GT.

I've been looking at several cars lately, but re-discovered the FR-S/BRZ twins. Specifically I'm looking at a 2013 BRZ Limited with 20K miles. I have always liked these cars, but have never driven one and know nothing about their issues or idiosyncrasies. I plan on driving one tomorrow, but a test drive doesn't really tell the tale so if anyone has owned one or has intimate knowledge of these things LMK your thoughts.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My object of automotive lust for a long time. Even went so far as to put a deposit down on one, but I didn't go through with it.
Please let me know how it turns out. (I'm sure you've read all the reviews that call it a "Miata with a roof".)

There are several Forums out there. It's also called an "86" in other parts of the world, so search for that, too.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2016 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

My object of automotive lust for a long time. Even went so far as to put a deposit down on one, but I didn't go through with it.
Please let me know how it turns out. (I'm sure you've read all the reviews that call it a "Miata with a roof".)

There are several Forums out there. It's also called an "86" in other parts of the world, so search for that, too.

I've always liked the shape of them.....the fact that they're relatively inexpensive is enticing too. I am also more about the handling than all out speed, so the lack of power (as some have called it) doesn't phase me.

I have looked at a few online forums, but figured I would see if anyone here has any first hand knowledge about it. Now that Scion is defunct, Toyota will be calling the FR-S the 86. I may consider buying a new one when they come out.....not sure. Right now I just need to drive one to see if I like it. I'll post back up later today.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:

I've been looking at several cars lately, but re-discovered the FR-S/BRZ twins...

My best friend's son bought a brand new one in September of 2014. It's a sharp looking car!

Boxer engine, rear wheel drive... win win!
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You DO know it's NOT all wheel drive like the rest of the Subaru line up, right? Doesn't change the way it looks but most people opt for a Subaru partly for the famous all wheel drive.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

You DO know it's NOT all wheel drive like the rest of the Subaru line up, right?

It's rear wheel drive. The perfect drift machine, according to more than one enthusiast magazine.
Of course, that's not the quickest way around a track. I'd have to swap out wheels and tires, immediately. (Same bolt circle as Fieros, BTW.)

Edit - the BRZ also had a special edition that was painted, for all intents an purposes, "Petty Blue".
They are few and far between (only 500 units) and are not on the website. I want one.
http://www.autoblog.com/201...e-quick-spin-review/

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-26-2016).]

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep....rear wheel drive and fun to drift. I would also have to put stickier tires on it....drifting is fun, but it would get old after awhile.

I put off the test driving until tomorrow. I spent the past couple of days working on Fieros.....I've been trying to get one of my Formulas roadworthy so I can take it to the Heartland Fiero Show next weekend. I'm almost there....just an alignment away from being driveable.

I will test drive the BRZ and a few of the other cars I'm interested in tomorrow and decide which ones stay on the "list"
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an STI, but I WANTED a BRZ. Test drove a couple and a 370Z, no comparison. Bought the STI because a RWD car in the winter when I already had a Fiero made no sense.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I bought an STI, but I WANTED a BRZ. Test drove a couple and a 370Z, no comparison. Bought the STI...

Do you know offhand now the horsepower compares between the BRZ and the STI ?

mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2016 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Do you know offhand now the horsepower compares between the BRZ and the STI ?

200HP for the BRZ and 305HP for the STI.

If I get a BRZ I may add a supercharger kit. That would bring the power level up quite a bit, but it's pricey. I'm just toying with that idea since it defeats a big reason why I would buy one....price. The BRZ is just plain cheap for what you get.

I'm also looking at the Boxster S & Cayman S as well as a new Mustang GT. Hell....I'm even considering an old Porsche 356, but I really need something modern, reliable and fast that I could enjoy when I'm home. Since I already have a convertible (Bugeye Sprite), the Boxster is low on the list. I really, really want a Cayman S and the 2007-2008 models are affordable enough for me, but I would be worried about something happening to it when I'm parked somewhere. Not that I wouldn't be with the BRZ, but the Porsche would get more attention (and not all in a good way).

This doesn't take into account maintenance costs....an 8 year old Porsche might be too brutal to maintain, I'm not sure. The Mustang wouldn't be too bad but everyone and their mother owns one. I see far fewer BRZ/FR-S's which is also enticing and a reason I love my Fiero so much. I hate having something ubiquitous.....I want to be the oddball driving the weird car (hence the Fiero, Bugeye Sprite, Datsun roadster, etc.).

Anyway....test drives coming tomorrow. I plan on driving the BRZ and a Cayman S....maybe the Mustang too, not sure yet.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 08-26-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

200HP for the BRZ and 305HP for the STI.

Wow, that's quite a difference. As nice as the BRZ looks, I wouldn't be happy shelling out for a sporty new car with only 200 HP.

This doesn't take into account maintenance costs....an 8 year old Porsche might be too brutal to maintain

We were discussing some similar things Here... although the Porsche's I was considering are definitely a little older than that.
PFF
System Bot
FieroMontreal

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMontrealSend a Private Message to FieroMontrealEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I bought an STI, but I WANTED a BRZ. Test drove a couple and a 370Z, no comparison. Bought the STI because a RWD car in the winter when I already had a Fiero made no sense.

Looks like my stable. My DD is also an STI.

I'm on my 5th Subaru, I would absolutely recommend them as long as their is a Turbo motor under the hood. The Non-Turbo Subaru's are a bit touchier. I've had/seen issues in regards to non-turbo's with head gaskets and oil consumption. Overall they are well built cars. and I've gotten several Subaru's well past 200,000 Miles without any major issues.

You guys need to understand what the BRZ is about to appreciate it. It's not about high power, it's got more than enough power for what it is. It is a fine tuned machine that is made to handle the road perfectly with the power that it has. It is similar to a Miata in my opinion, you don't need 300hp to make the car fun to drive. This car isn't made for drag races, it's made for the track, for back roads for those trips in the twisty mountain roads where normal cars need to break and slow down.

[This message has been edited by FieroMontreal (edited 08-31-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMontreal:

BRZ... it's made for the track, for back roads for those trips in the twisty mountain roads where normal cars need to break brake and slow down.

But wouldn't an AWD vehicle of similar size and 50% more power do all those things better?

I've been in a couple of STIs as a passenger at autocross... and I've been really impressed with their ability to power around the sweeps. I've owned faster "straight-line" cars, but an AWD car such as an STI is quite impressive in regards to getting power to the ground in a turn.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I like the BRZ for many reasons, but numero uno is that it's a 2-door. The STI may have more horsepower and is a faster, more refined car but it has too many doors for me. I should have mentioned that before, but all of the cars I am looking at only have 2 doors (and for all intents & purposes 2 seats).

I went to look at cars last weekend, but didn't drive anything. I decided to wait until I sold off a few of my cars first so I would have a place to store it. My warehouse is full and nothing I am looking at will make it into the driveway (very steep...I scrape the Fiero everytime). Once I get rid of the two Formulas (and maybe 1 or 2 other cars) I'll get more serious about a new car, but the BRZ is still in my top 5.
Pancake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2016 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BRZ vs STi is apples and oranges. The STi is unquestionably the faster car and if you were specifically looking for track times it would be the choice.

The BRZ was deliberately designed to be a fun drivers car in normal conditions and relatively sane speeds, much like the Mazda MX5; it's just a fun car to drive. It compares far more with things like the Hyundai Genesis coupe and Miata than a WRX/STi . Honestly if I was picking one for the fun of driving it would hands down be the BRZ even if it's significantly slower. Also remember pretty much anything that works on an Impreza works on a BRZ engine, check out what some of the tuners like Perrin have done

[This message has been edited by Pancake (edited 09-02-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pancake:

BRZ vs STi is apples and oranges.

The BRZ... compares far more with things like the Hyundai Genesis coupe and Miata than a WRX/STi .

I understand what you're saying. However, it's tough not to compare the BRZ with a WRX or STi when they all share the Subaru flat-four boxer engine (with and without boost).

It's great to have options.
Pancake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PancakeSend a Private Message to PancakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
By the logic how does my Fiero compare to a 2.8 Citation :P. Extreme example adtmiddely, a fairer version would be a 2.8 Cavalier RS but still same engine doesn't mean same class of car. That said I compare it against the WRX in my head too

[This message has been edited by Pancake (edited 09-05-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2016 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This thread will really hit rock bottom when we start comparing different cars with dukes.
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2016 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

This thread will really hit rock bottom when we start comparing different cars with dukes.

I prefer an '84 Fiero with a Duke than the '82 Firebird with a Duke. We should do a side-by-side comparison.....not sure any 4-cyl. '82 Firebirds exist anymore though.

As for the BRZ....I have made a decision and I am going to pass on it. I will consider buying one as my daily driver if and when I decide to forego my Yaris and my '88 GT.....I would have to get rid of both at that point. Right now I'm not willing to do that.

I've decided to get something that will get the juices flowing everytime I get inside and turn the key. The Fiero used to do that for me, but not so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Fiero and will die owning one, but I need something different.

So....after much soul searching and waffling on whether or not I should even think about buying something else I've decided on the Porsche Cayman. I was flip-flopping between getting a first gen S model with 50K miles or the newer design that came out in 2014....big price difference between the two. I like the original styling better, but liked the engine enhancements of the newer model. What to do? Then I found the one year only 2012 Cayman R and that was it. It has the older styling with the newer engine updates......the best of both worlds.

I have found the one I want, but as luck has it I will be on the road for work and can't even get down to look at it for 10 days. Hopefully it'll still be for sale then, but if not I will just search for its doppelganger. Here's a picture of the color combo I am looking at (this is not the actual car I am considering buying, but is the right color).

What do you guys think?

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful car (and if I were in the market for a high dollar sports car, I'd pick the Cayman over the 911) but it looks like the '12 R models are running around $60k. You could buy 2 BRZs for that price and still have money left for gas and beer!
mrfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Beautiful car (and if I were in the market for a high dollar sports car, I'd pick the Cayman over the 911) but it looks like the '12 R models are running around $60k. You could buy 2 BRZs for that price and still have money left for gas and beer!

The 911 has never interested me. I know it's "the one" to a lot of people, but I just don't care for their looks or styling. The Cayman R is expensive...I could buy 2 new or 3 used BRZ's and still have enough money for a years worth of gas (maybe just a 6-pack of beer ) for the cost of the Cayman. I thought about it and decided that ultimately it would be too similar to my '88 GT so why bother? I just don't think I would be happy driving it.

After watching a video of some guy driving his Cayman R flat out on the Nurburgring I was convinced it was the right car for me. The sounds it makes!

Anyway....if I pull the trigger and buy this thing I will start a new post with plenty of pictures.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 09-12-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2016 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently started to look around for a Porsche. Being a big guy some models like the early Boxster, while in my price range are just too small. The Cayman is based on the later Boxster and they gained a couple of inches of leg room. After tying an early Boxster I got back in my Fiero and it was like getting in an SUV in comparison.
Then there's the whole IMS bearing issue with the earlier cars (1999 ish to 2008 I believe). 1999 - large double row bearing but can still fail. 200-2004, smaller single row bearing, most problematic but can be replaced just by dropping the transmission as can the 1999. 2005-2008 (into Cayman Territory now) - Better bearing but still weak and you have to pull the engine apart to replace it!
So for me it's a 2009 on Cayman (white with Tan exterior = Sex on wheels!) or 1999 911 (at least I can get in those) .
Either way, it's a long way off before I have enough $ to drop on one!

As for the BRZ, my kid had a 2014 BRZ, bought it new. Nice car and plenty fast enough for him. however I have to say they do not seem to stand up well in an accident. The cabin is fine and the crumple zones do their job but that's the problem, they crumple. He spun out and 'tapped' a worked truck with the right front wing. Not a mark on the truck, that's how light the impact was but it ripped the wing open and cost $9,000 (thank god for insurance) to get it fixed. A year later he got rear ended on the freeway (had stopped for other traffic, Jeep driver behind him didn't stop!) which totaled it, trunk was in the back seats but at least he was OK.

He's got a 2013 FRS now, just as nice. Suits him well.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock