Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  Buying a Truck - Need a Forum

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version


next newest topic | next oldest topic
Buying a Truck - Need a Forum by Formula88
Started on: 08-17-2016 08:50 AM
Replies: 17 (208 views)
Last post by: CoolBlue87GT on 09-18-2016 02:37 PM
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a deposit down on a 2004 GMC Sierra yesterday. I should have it by the end of the week. So, now I need to find a good online resource for any questions on maintenance, repairs, etc. I've done a few Google searches but wondered if anyone had any recommendations based on their experiences with some of the forums?

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fastfiero1
Member
Posts: 256
From: Bellmawr, NJ, USA
Registered: Sep 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Click Here to Email Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't personally know of any forums specifically but I was a GM tech for a Chevy dealer for 11 years up until the end of 2011 so if you need anything feel free to PM me.

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

IP: Logged
Gokart Mozart
Member
Posts: 12143
From: Metro Detroit
Registered: Mar 2003


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
Hank is Here
Member
Posts: 4350
From: Hershey, Pa
Registered: Sep 2000


Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2016 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereClick Here to Email Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My advise.....check the brake lines.....seriously. GM trucks form this period had only mild steel lines that liked to rust. especially check down low in the engine bay near the ABS controller. My father's 2004 below the lines otu last year and needed a entire re-plumb job. My 02 Chevy is still holding on withotu blowing a line out yet.
IP: Logged
E.Furgal
Member
Posts: 11708
From: LAND OF CONFUSION
Registered: Mar 2012


Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-18-2016 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the full g.m. dealer shop manuals for the 2004 chevy/gmc trucks.. it is 5 books all about 4"+ thick..
I don't have the truck anymore..
I paid 450.00..
Fiero bargain price of 50.oo + shipping.. and you have all the info you can stand..
IP: Logged
LitebulbwithaFiero
Member
Posts: 3123
From: LaSalle, Michigan
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroClick Here to Email LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Google is probably the best site, as there does not seem to be one great forum for that year trucks.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/

Seems to be for more stock trucks


http://www.gmfullsize.com/

For color matching and goofy cali style lifted trucks


http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/

If you want to go fast
IP: Logged
tebailey
Member
Posts: 2604
From: Bay City MI
Registered: Jan 2013


Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2016 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileyClick Here to Email tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Hank is Here:

My advise.....check the brake lines.....seriously. GM trucks form this period had only mild steel lines that liked to rust. especially check down low in the engine bay near the ABS controller. My father's 2004 below the lines otu last year and needed a entire re-plumb job. My 02 Chevy is still holding on withotu blowing a line out yet.


Double that. I went to take my daughter to pick up her car at a shop, and when I pulled in blew the brake line to the rear brakes on my 98GMC.
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38432
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my forum of choice.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/

Edit - I have a 2005 Silverado. It's been quite reliable, other than little stuff. The short list of things that I've done or that need doing...
.Blower resistor harness. (Covered by recall.)
.Water pump gasket has slow leak. (Just need to replace water pump.)
.Code for evap system. (repaired broken wire on purge solenoid.)
.Sluggish shifting. Minor "flare". I hate the way GM automatics shift. (Reprogrammed PCM with "tow/haul" shift speed/firmness in "normal" mode.)
.HVAC temperature control servo needs replacement. (Occasional hot air from vents at "full cold" setting. A common issue.) Driver's side is easily accessible, under the dash. Passenger side replacement requires dash removal.

If you have an "add on" iPod controller, pay attention to this...
They are installed in the harness between the radio and the BCM, and can "noise up" the CANBUS. Causes all sorts of seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins. (Dash lights and courtesy lights that randomly won't come on or go off. Radio won't work. Power windows won't work. Other odd things that require battery disconnection to reset.)
I have seen this affect two different GM CANBUS vehicles. My 2005 Silverado, and our 2004 Trailblazer.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-21-2016).]

IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38432
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by E.Furgal:

I have the full g.m. dealer shop manuals for the 2004 chevy/gmc trucks.. it is 5 books all about 4"+ thick..
I don't have the truck anymore..
I paid 450.00..
Fiero bargain price of 50.oo + shipping.. and you have all the info you can stand..


Hell of a price. If Formula doesn't take them, I will.
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Hank is Here:

My advise.....check the brake lines.....seriously. GM trucks form this period had only mild steel lines that liked to rust. especially check down low in the engine bay near the ABS controller. My father's 2004 below the lines otu last year and needed a entire re-plumb job. My 02 Chevy is still holding on withotu blowing a line out yet.


THANK YOU! I'll definitely check it out.
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2016 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Raydar:


Hell of a price. If Formula doesn't take them, I will.


Go for it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak
Member
Posts: 2580
From: se iowa
Registered: Jun 2008


Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2016 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakClick Here to Email weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That brakeline problem wasn't limited to GM. My Dodge was a brakeline nightmare. So was my Isuzu Rodeo.
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2016 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked my truck and it looks amazingly clean for the age and mileage. If the brake lines had rusted, they appear to have been replaced. It does look like there was aftermarket undercoating done at some point. I'll give them a more through inspection when I have time to crawl around under it a bit more. I'm going to redo the rear brakes before long anyway since the rotors look like they need resurfacing.
IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2016 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Raydar:

This is my forum of choice.
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/

Edit - I have a 2005 Silverado. It's been quite reliable, other than little stuff. The short list of things that I've done or that need doing...
.Blower resistor harness. (Covered by recall.)
.Water pump gasket has slow leak. (Just need to replace water pump.)
.Code for evap system. (repaired broken wire on purge solenoid.)
.Sluggish shifting. Minor "flare". I hate the way GM automatics shift. (Reprogrammed PCM with "tow/haul" shift speed/firmness in "normal" mode.)
.HVAC temperature control servo needs replacement. (Occasional hot air from vents at "full cold" setting. A common issue.) Driver's side is easily accessible, under the dash. Passenger side replacement requires dash removal.

If you have an "add on" iPod controller, pay attention to this...
They are installed in the harness between the radio and the BCM, and can "noise up" the CANBUS. Causes all sorts of seemingly unrelated electrical gremlins. (Dash lights and courtesy lights that randomly won't come on or go off. Radio won't work. Power windows won't work. Other odd things that require battery disconnection to reset.)
I have seen this affect two different GM CANBUS vehicles. My 2005 Silverado, and our 2004 Trailblazer.



Good info. Already had the temp control flake out. Heater out the driver side, cold AC out the passenger. Shut off the engine and restarted and it worked normally. It must run on Windows and I needed to reboot it. If it keeps up I'll replace the actuator.

Only put about 500 miles on it so far, but so far so good. *fingers crossed*
Those front brake sure do generate a LOT of brake dust, though. When i look at the rear, I think I'm going to have a close look at all the brakes just to be sure.
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38432
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2016 05:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Formula88:
Good info. Already had the temp control flake out. Heater out the driver side, cold AC out the passenger. Shut off the engine and restarted and it worked normally. It must run on Windows and I needed to reboot it. If it keeps up I'll replace the actuator.
...


Yep. A reboot usually fixes it temporarily. If it happens.
I've been "gonna replace the actuator" for at least two years, now.

If you listen really carefully, you can hear the clicking from under the dash. Driver's side, center. Right at the tunnel.
If you move the temp control just a bit, you may get it to stop.

What information I've been able to find leads me to believe the automatic and manual A/C systems use different actuators. But GM has so many different part numbers, it's difficult to tell.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-13-2016).]

IP: Logged
Formula88
Member
Posts: 53788
From: Raleigh NC
Registered: Jan 2001


Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 555
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I can see the desire for automatic temperature control, but it seems like a lot of extra complexity when a simple "Hot / Cold" temperature lever has worked for decades.
Not all the gadgets seem silly, though. I do like the power fold in mirrors. That's very convenient in parking lots.
IP: Logged
Raydar
Member
Posts: 38432
From: Carrollton GA. Out in the... country.
Registered: Oct 1999


Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
 
quote
Originally posted by Formula88:

I guess I can see the desire for automatic temperature control, but it seems like a lot of extra complexity when a simple "Hot / Cold" temperature lever has worked for decades.
...


It also seems silly that the manual version has a sliding potentiometer that controls a servo (through the BCM, of course) when a cable attached to a door will work just as well.
IP: Logged
CoolBlue87GT
Member
Posts: 8222
From: Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
Registered: Apr 2001


Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback





Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2016 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTClick Here to Email CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are the truck forums I belong to, PerformanceTrucks.net , LS1TECH , & FSC - Chevy Truck Forum

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay



Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock