Removing harmonic balancer by Lilchief
Started on: 08-07-2016 07:33 PM
Replies: 8 (310 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 09-04-2016 12:17 AM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2010 fusion 3.5 dohc v6. Can't get the balancer off. My original 3 finger puller wouldn't fit inside. So I went to HF and got a cheap. I've put 2 breakers on it 1 to keep it from turning and 1 to turn the bolt. It's to the point of breaking. Are they that hard ? Any advice ?

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

[This message has been edited by Lilchief (edited 08-07-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you remove the bolt?? IIRC it's a left hand thread. Lock down the flex plate, blast off the bolt with an impact wrench in reverse, mostly just slip off the pulley.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I removed the bolt. Might try a different style puller.
Fastfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only tools they list in Alldata for the repair besides the installing tools are a strap wrench and 3 jaw puller. The procedure is pretty straight forward and doesn't say you need to lower the sub frame or anything. Also I posted the torque specs for you in case you needed them.

Listed tools:

Torque specs:

------------------
Fiero's Owned:

1987 Coupe 2.5 5spd May 99 - June 03
1987 GT V6 5spd July 30 2012 - Current

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fastfiero1: I have found the 303-D121 through earlier searhes but $110 is a bit steep. I was looking at a Lisle 51450, about half price. Been working on this Fusion 3.5 for 3 weeks on/off trying to get to the water pump. Not one of Fords better ideas. Suppose to be a 10 hour job but will be more like a 40 hour job for me.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

Fastfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yikes!

That's one of the reasons I am not a Ford fan. Not that I'll say they don't build a decent product that sells but it's their "re-invent the wheel" practices that drive me crazy.

Unless you are speaking of a 5.4L 3 valve, in that case they don't build a decent product!
Fastfiero1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2016 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfiero1Send a Private Message to Fastfiero1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fastfiero1

256 posts
Member since Sep 2001
I find this puller kit works well... https://www.amazon.com/OEMT...mpener/dp/B0006307WC

It says Chrysler but I found it works on almost any one that uses a 3 jaw setup.
Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2016 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I sprung for the 303-d121. It came right off. Now more problems. New post
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fastfiero1:

That's one of the reasons I am not a Ford fan. Not that I'll say they don't build a decent product that sells but it's their "re-invent the wheel" practices that drive me crazy.

Oh man, tell me about it. I volunteered to replace the front struts in my Ex's 2001 Ford Taurus wagon. I'm still on good terms with her, and I hate seeing her get ripped off by repair shops. Anyway, it's relatively common for the front coil springs to rust badly and snap on these cars, and the danger is that the sharp broken end of the coil will slide over and stick into the tire... with sometimes disastrous results!

I figured that swapping out the front struts would be a relatively easy job. I mean, how difficult could it be?

Would you believe the damn cradle needs to be lowered??!!! I'm not kidding. It's quite a struggle to get the original front struts out... but the replacement ones are about half an inch longer... and there's just no freakin' way they're going in without more distance being put between the underside of the strut towers and the top of the knuckles. It's no wonder I've never wanted anything to do with Fords!

For anyone who might be curious, here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing what's required with these cars. Jump ahead to 1:27...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-10-2016).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock